jumping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lildrummer

Reaction score
Hello,

Need suggestions, etc, please.

I have a gelding just turning two. I am trying to teach him to jump. He will walk over PVC pipes when on ground. When on low jumps, he jumps w/front feet but hits pipe w/hind feet. This occurs when walking and/or running with him. How can I train him to lift back hooves????

Thank you,

Lildrummer

For myself, I don't start anyone jumping until they are 3 (or very close to it). And some of them like jumping better than others. We have one (the one jumping in my avatar) who practically begs to jump whenever we are training someone else.

In your case, I think I would spend a lot of time just getting him to walk and trot over the poles without hitting them. That can really help if you do halter obstacle too.

One thing I do when I start ours, which I think helps them lift the hind feet, is I jump them over logs or downed tree trunks (don't ask). The logs are only about a foot high, but it seems to teach them respect. I also try to make it fun for them so they will like it.

I also like to use wood to jump horses with, at least in the beginning, and some horses need an occasional reminder. The PVC is barely noticable when they hit it, but if they drop their legs on a wood pole, odds are, they won't do it again. My all around gelding used to knock the jumps down intentionally, as it was the easy way out. I set up my old big horse jumps and he quickly learned to put some effort into it.
default_rolleyes.gif

They won't hit the wooden poles, trees, etc hard enough to hurt themselves, so don't worry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lunge him over the poles and trot him. He needs the speed to remind him to pick his feet up better. And I agree with ThreeCFarm. Put a log pole down or something. I use those cheap redwood poles. After a couple times hitting those trotting around, mine pick up their feet. Then raise the pole off the ground on one end. Teaches them to gauge the jump and pick up their feet to clear it.

Latest posts

Back