Jumping the gun here...but is there certain rules about naming newborns?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaAH

Reaction score
I know a lot of horses are named something to do with the sire and dam. Is that a rule in the horse world in general, big and small? or can you name a registered horse whatever you like?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not an official rule. You can name the foal anything you like, except for using a prefix that has been reserved by another farm.

There are also some "common words" that are owned by other people and cannot be used on foals other than theirs (or, I guess, if they give permission). I know that "treasure" is not available to be the last word of a name... which annoyed me way back when and prompted me to snap up a favorite word of my own, perfection. Not to keep it from anyone, but to keep it from being kept from me
default_laugh.png

You can check the AMHR website for the prefix / suffix report (password: shetland). http://www.shetlandminiature.com/ Looking through, these words are not available to the general public to go at the end of a horse's name in AMHR:

ARIZONA

BROWN

CASE

CHAMPAGNE

CHARM

COLOR

CORRAL

ELITE

EMERALD

EMPHASIS

FANTASY

GOLD DUST

GOLD TOPPER

GOLDEN BOY

HI-FI

HOBBY

IMPERIAL

JOLLY

KNIGHT

LANCE

LEGEND

LIGHTS

LOTTA

MARYLAND

MASTERPIECE

MEDALLION

METEOR

MISSIONS

MISSISSIPPI

MONTANA

MOUSE

O.K.

OPEN BAR

ORACLE

OZ

PAINTED

PLAYTIME

PERFECTION

POPPER

REGAL

REGARDLESS

SHOWTIME

SMILING

SOMEDAY

STYLISH

SUNTAN

SWEETDREAM

TENNESSEE

TIMBERS

TOPPER

TREASURE

TRULY YOURS

WELCOME

WISHING STAR

WONDER

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually AMHA has all reserved and pending prefixes listed on their website. Go to the website listed by Hosscrazy and click on Registration and in the listings on the page you will see Standards, Coat colors, etc... and at the end of the list is Farm Prefixes.

Latest posts

Back