Jumping questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voodoo

Reaction score
My mini is 6 years old and 31.25" tall. He's exclusively AMHR registered and I've been thinking of attending a few shows and showing in hunter, jumper, and driving. So mostly my questions are how high do the jumps go in hunter? Is it scored or timed? How high do the jumps usually go in jumper? How high can they go in a jump off? Maverick clears 28"like it is nothing, 32" about 9 out of 10 times and 35" about 6 out of 10. Sooooooo how much higher and more consistent does he need to be to feel pretty comfortable of not looking too bad at a show? Here's a couple pictures of him jumping so you can get a feel for his form. Thanks for any and all advise

This is 32"

Maverick32.jpg

This is 28"

Maverickbarrel.jpg

Here's another one at 32"

maverickjump.jpg

Edited to add, the pictures are about a year old, but his form is still about the same. He is a little heavier himself and his tail is now down to the ground so that won't look so bad.
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Jumping is the only class that is a timed jumping event. Hunter is judged more on form. The jumps they can be 12 to 24 inches. In a jump off they can be twelve to 30 inches.

Well, I guess he's going high enough
laugh.gif
. Somehow I got the impression that the jump offs got REALLY high. I guess I'll just go and have fun and see how it all turns out.

You never know when shows don't pay attention to the rules so it's a good thing your horse can go much higher
yes.gif

I believe at Area 4 this year there jump offs they raised 2 jumps and they were 32" tall. Of course my horse knocked them both down but hit it just barley.

BTW your horse looks like a beautiful jumper and should be shown
yes.gif

Thanks for the information as well as the nice comments. Now, if I can just find the time to get to those shows
wacko.gif

I think he will do more then fine at the shows in both hunter and jumper.

I have heard that in AMHA at nationals it is about how high the horse can jump and they make them higher and higher in the jump off.. in AMHR it is all about time of course the horse has to clear the jumps and jump clean but they arent all that high but they sure were going VERY fast
smile.gif

Last edited:
So in other words I am going to need to work on my running skills
laugh.gif
rolleyes.gif
. He would love to go faster than me anyway and clear them on the fly so we'll see how it goes.
thumbup.gif

There is a difference in Hunter and Jumper. Hunter is a single run at a height of no more than 24" (AMHA but I think AMHR is the same). Jumper on the other hand is just height. In AMHA they start at 28" and go up to 42" and keep jumping until one falters. In AMHR I believe they start the same but I'm not sure where they start the timed run.

Now, without meaning to be critical, your horse looks pretty good, but, here is a tip. You should be just in front of the horses shoulder, never in front of him and you should never see the horse clear the jump. He will or he won't and you can't help him. You should be concentrating on the next jump. When you turn to look at him or even stop to watch you throw his timing off. You should maintain an even pace just as he does and concentrate on centering him on the next jump. Give him plenty of lead and don't jerk his head around. Don't look back until you're through (or you hear a terrible crash... don't look back then either
new_shocked.gif
).

Good luck.

Al B said:
There is a difference in Hunter and Jumper. Hunter is a single run at a height of no more than 24" (AMHA but I think AMHR is the same). Jumper on the other hand is just height. In AMHA they start at 28" and go up to 42" and keep jumping until one falters. In AMHR I believe they start the same but I'm not sure where they start the timed run.

423658[/snapback]

In AMHR in jumper there are only 2 rounds there is the first one to see who goes clean and gets in the jump off.... the raise the jumps but not alot they are sure not or havent been at any show i have been at 42" the 2nd round is the one that determines the winner and is strictly by who went the fastest (of course meaning clean with no faults)

Thanks for the tips Al. I know that looking back is a terrible habit I need to break, but I so love to watch him jump and there isn't anyone else that will take him over the jumps. I'll do my best to quit watching and start concentrating on what I'm doing though. I'm not sure why I'm in front of him, but I'll work on that as well. Thanks everyone.

Edited to add a question. Al, you said give them plenty of lead, which I can definately see. However, whether it is right or wrong I taught my mini to take off to his jump by bumping the lead up. Kind of like riding a jumping horse, cue the jump by squeezing a little with your legs and moving your weight forward. Am I supposed to not cue at all and he is just supposed to know when to jump? Just not sure how to cue the jump without the lead as I'm not on him??

Last edited by a moderator:
Voodoo

You can still que him (and should) with a long lead. I do it by raising my lead hand and sometimes a quiet "hup". What I have seen far too often is the handler holding the lead right at the horses mouth and after jerking his head back and forth as they run then try to pull his head over the jump. The horse can't get balanced to jump.

Just give him enough lead to be able to work his head for balance and center on the jump.

smile.gif

You asked about AMHR -

In JUMPING they start with a maximum height of 24". They are judged just on a "clean" round, not on "style". Ties for first have a jump off that is timed so get out your running shoes, and most of the jumps are raised to a maximum height of 30" for the jump off.

In HUNTER there is only one round and the horse is judged on how clean (no ticks or knock downs) plus style, grace, consistency, etc. After the class is over the entire class must trot past the judges for an inspection for lameness, gait, etc.

For more information on AMHR rules - go to the AMHR website at http://www.shetlandminiature.com On the right side of the screen is a link to the current rule book. The rules regarding jumping & hunter start on page 256.

Latest posts

Back