Judging Liberty

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
Could someone please explain how Liberty is actually judged?? I loved watching the last few nights and was impressed w/all the horses and handlers but was wondering what the judges want to see. Is the handler judged ??... catching ... music choice...or is it strickly how the horse moves. Thanks, Heidi

I must have alot to learn as my favorite wasnt even picked....oh well!!

Well, the rulebook explains it decently. Overall, they want a high- spirited horse with lots of spunk and attitude that can show a variety of playful gaits that math the handlers music. Not all horses are liberty horses, some of them just go out the and dope around- not good. The horse needs to use the whole arena, switch directions. The handler should not chase the horse, part of being a libery horse is ( as I said above) is to have that spunk to go on its own. Animation of trots etc always look nice. Bucking and kicking are certainlly good. The music needs to be somwhat quick and upbeat, and go with the horses personallity. And no, the handler is judged as much as the horse.

The catch should be quick, the horse should know when to stop. Some train the horse to come to the center to them as a catc, others go catch themselves.

There is a video on You-tube that shows a very nice Liberty performance and catch- I'll see if I can find it and I'll give you a link.
default_smile.png

[SIZE=12pt]I agree with what alex said, the horse should use all the gates [ei troting cantering galloping] and yea use the whole arena, kicking and anything that shows the true nature of the horse and beauty! there is a time limit, some shows do 2 mins some do 1min 30 seconds, for music that is, then u have to catch the horse put the halter on and raise your hand asap!if your thinking about wether or not you should put your horse in that class or picking the right song, make a cd with some songs, and play it while your horse is in the arena to see what song best fits your horse! hopes this helps
default_wink.png
[/SIZE]

Thank you Cara and Alex...sort of what I thought. No I dont plan on showing in Liberty...we did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once!! My horses would just follow me around...there would be no need for music ( i guess I could hum ) and no "catching" involved. Thanks again, Heidi

Latest posts

Back