Judge accused me of drawing dorsal stripe

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sad you experienced this and it is such a shame that your mares last show wasn't what you had hoped for. That judge was out of line with his sarcastic comment. very sad.

I do think that there are great judges and not so great judges wherever you go. I do think it is difficult for some clubs to get great judges all the time. I know in dog showing there are times when I have had a great judge and times when I had a horrible judge that you say to yourself... "NEVER show under that judge again" . I think word of mouth works great to communicate about certain judges and I would at the least mention to the folks that arranged the show what happened.

I do know that as I have shown all the years, for all the yucky judges I have gotten, I have gotten just as many awesome judges and on occasion gotten a judge that we used to say "gave me a gift", one that ignored enough boo boos of a 10 year old dog to allow him to get his final leg at a speciality. I remember being hugged by my trainer and she says... Its a gift, enjoy it when I was stunned that I qualified. Did I write to my club and tell them I thought my dog should have lost 10 more points for lagging? Of course not.

Many judges would have never qualified my dog that day. My dog was the only dog at the speciality that day that did not do a major disqualifying error. We got high in trial because all the other dogs broke the long sit or down. I once got a qualifying score after a judge told me I NQed in the ring. I didn't think I deserved the NQ according to the rules but the judge said "Im not qualifying you" because I hurried my dog out of the ring after being excused because i could tell he was going to eliminate. He did not eliminate, but the judge was nasty to me when I checked my lead and ran out of the ring with my dog. Later, when i did qualify for what I thought was leg two on that dog, I received my title in the mail a few weeks later and realized that judge had decided to score my dog afterall. I had no green ribbon, no recognition at the show, but somehow qualified after I left the show grounds....

I also remember a judge that scored a friends dog 4th place out of three dogs because he said no dog in the ring deserved first place. He took that first place ribbon off the table. I could go on and on, but I think you get what I am saying... You got a lousy deal, you should tell somebody, but for your sadness or anger it would be good to remember times when you might have gotten a decent deal from a lenient judge that thought you deserved it. I know I could not ever be a judge. I do know there is plenty of cheating that might have soured a good judge into a stinky judge. I remember being at a handling class for a min pin and there was a lady handling a lovely black standard poodle. The coat shined and the dog was awesome and I complimented her on the dogs outstanding color. She then told me that her dog was cream colored but she thought the judges prefered black so she did a dye job on her dog. sheesh. I have seen many folks altering the color of their dogs with pencils and dye and powder etc. It happens. hugs to you, your mare is lovely, I love dorsal stripes..

PS, I know these are dog stories not horse stories, I have never been good enough or had enough time for horse showing. I tip my hat to all of you brave enough and experienced enough to bring us all those lovely show horses to admire and promote miniature horses as much more than a lawn ornament, as a competitive and awesome little horse that can do just as much if not more than many folks give them credit for. stay strong, you have made a great point and lesson here for all of us that enjoy this forum and making folks aware is really a great lesson to all. You showed great sportsmanship and honored your mare with your posting. cheers to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I did not even know about the glitter rule!! Almost all of my show shirts I had last year had glitter on them, and the horses would get glitter ALL OVER THEM. I had to just sit there and pick off blue glitter off their bodies before each class, it was awful. I've never been called out on it before though, I guess there wasn't as much glitter on them for the judges to notice. Oh well, I grew out of those show jackets anyway and went to a glitter-free wardrobe
default_smile.png

UNBELIEVABLE!!! If nothing is done, the judge will continue with this unprofessional manner to other people and horses at other shows. I would write a letter to AMHR- do they have a judge's committee or someone who over sees judges? I would also send a COPY of your letter to AMHR to the judge. I would be professional, as obviously he WASNT, and state facts- maybe include a few pics of the mare over the years- showing her DUN dorsal stripe.

I really feel bad for you and your mare- what an absolutely horrible day and experience. Your mare is lovely. It wasnt the fault of who ever sponsored the show- how would they know? But I would also perhaps send them a copy of your letter to AMHR as well, so they will not hire this guy back in the future.

For someone who supposedly knows colors, I am appalled that this judge thought that. Does he not know what dun characteristics are? Wow.... this is just shocking to me.

Edited to add: Oh and thanks about the glitter issue! I would never have even thought of that and have a couple of shirts with glitter! Yikes, I will watch that in the future!

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope you will take the advice given here and write to AMHR, and with pictures of your mare's dorsal stripe over several years is a great idea!

This really should be reported, as that type of bad behavior will affect others in the future, irregardless that nothing can change for you and your placings this time. But it is something that is not correct, and should not be allowed to happen again in the future. And I agree, copies of letters to all, so this judge is not chosen again, and realizes that his inappropriate behavior is not being swept under the rug -- he is being "called" on his comments. Maybe he will learn, or maybe not, but you may save someone in the future from the same unfair fate.

Many people here show, and it would be horrid to think that they might run into the same unfair person and it could have been fixed with just a short letter.

Best of luck to you in the future, and we all know how unfair this was -- especially to a MOST beautiful mare!

Well, he thinks he is a Judge, and some Judges think they are god!!

I would write to the AMHR and just plainly state your case, you do not need to make it a real complaint, just state the facts as they are and let them decide what they are going to do about it. If they are going to do nothing, perhaps someone would like to start keeping a "book" on this person? There are rules in place to stop this sort of thing happening, you should make use of them.

Any and all complaints are to be sent to Marvin McCabe who is the head of the judges. He and the board of governor's will review your letter and take action on this judge. Marvin lives in Ohio and is listed in the Journal under judges since

he too is also a judge.

Karen

You know, even if he thought it was a fake stripe, what a rude way to handle the situation, and why didnt he handle it in a professional manner according to the rule book?

I know I'd be writing a letter pronto. This is totally unprofessional and I sure would not want to show under this judge. Your mare is gorgeous and should not have been judged so unfairly. What a jerk.

Reactions: REO
I am so sorry this happened to you!!!! I am new to the minis and have never even been to a big show but it just sounds so unprofessional of a judge at such an important show to make a remark in that manner not to mention his rudeness!!!! He should not make an accusation to a contestant without some source of truth or evidence!!!! At the least you should have been given the chance to prove him wrong but in a private manner!! To me it is shocking and I think you do need to follow up with some sort of correspondence to the AMHR. After all he represents the AMHR and they probably would want to know of his unprofessional conduct. If you let it go he probably will do the same type of thing to others and it kind of ruins the integrity of the AMHR for everyone. Even if it doesn't change anything for you at least you made them aware of your experience with that judge and it will be on record in case anything happens in the future! So sorry again, I can't imagine your disappointment and disbelief for you and your horse!!

This turns my stomach. So sorry for you, she is an adorable mare. Part of the reason I haven't shown mine are memories of growing up around dog shows. So many aspects are a big turn off. Especially bad judges and poor sportsmanship. Yours was a very assuming judge, and you know what is said about assuming. (No offense to donkeys.) So sad about your terrible experience! You have to get her in one more show just to end on a good note!

Latest posts

Back