Judge accused me of drawing dorsal stripe

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb E

Reaction score
15094_665477160136819_675058539_n.jpg

Marquis showed in her last show. It was our local IMEC club year-end show. Several of us in IMEC had done really well at the Kentucky State Fair a couple weeks before, so I knew we had some good competition for the show. Got shut out in ...the first class....then got a last place...another last place....and so the day went. Last halter class the judge leaned over and said "nice paint job" and kept on walking by. After the class I asked him what he meant by that and he said "the stripe you paint down your mares back ." I could not believe what I was hearing. I asked him if that is why he placed us last all day and he said "you betcha". I proceeded to tell him quite loudly that she was a dun and I didn't do anything to her. He said "sure you don't." Can't believe a judge called me a cheat and a liar! What a horrible way to end Marquis' show career. I have shown Marquis for five years and never had a judge question that her dorsal stripe was real or not. She is registered as a silver dun and have been told she is a dunalino. Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them. Seems so out there to me.

Did you receive the show packet where you can critique the show and the judge(s) to send to AMHR? (You have 10 days to turn it in I believe). I would DEFINITELY fill it out and let them know you were unhappy with the judge's statements to you (tactfully of course). If you didn't get a packet, I think I would still send a polite tactful letter to AMHR stating the show, date, place and judge and let them know you where unhappy with his/her statements.

That is disgusting and totally out of order!! I would get your vet to verify the dorsal stripe, then write to the show organisers sending them the vet's letter, and demand an apology from both them and the judge in question, plus I would insist, at the very least, on receiving all my entry fees back - except for that first class, when the judge had the opportunity to make a comment on why he was 'casting' you out. There was no need to allow you to compete in the rest of the classes before he bothered to give you his 'comment'!

She's a very beautiful mare, and like you, she does not deserve this kind of treatment - how many spectators heard the judge accuse you of painting in that dorsal stripe?? As it was a local show, any overheard remarks could be 'damaging' to your reputation!

I can well undertand how upset you are, I would be fuming too!

Was this a sanctioned show? If so--absolutely fill out the judge evaluation form -- at least AMHR , if it was AMHA I don't know what they have in this regard. Talk to your director and let him/her know what this judge said and find out if there is any way you can file a formal complaint against him. Please also PM me with the judge's name--this isn't a judge that we ever want to hire here. A judge that is too stupid to recognize a real dorsal stripe isn't much of a judge.

I'd write a letter... but it would not be tactful... or polite! I have way too many names roiling around in my head to call this judge... none of which can be printed here! I'd be so peeved off!

I'm sorry this happened to you. However, it is refreshing to hear of a judge who will not reward what he thought was a rule violation. Unfortunately for you, he was wrong in this case. I wonder if judges are allowed to touch a horse to see if paint has been applied?

Oh my gosh. That is so wrong. If he was going to accuse you of such a thing, the least he could do is allow you to prove him wrong.

I agree with the others that you should take action and lodge a complaint.

The saddest part to me is how disappointing it would be to end your lovely mare's career on such a note.

So sorry that happened to you.

That's incredible, and at the LEAST you should file a complaint. I'd also submit the vet statement and ask for fees back, as this is totally unfair, especially at the end of successful show career!

So sorry you experienced this.

WOW
default_sad.png
I would have challenged him to wipe it off and prove it. No, it wouldn't have given you better placings, but I for one hate being accused of things I didn't do.

I'm sorry! It is, honestly, my favorite horse marking... I'm sure you didn't draw it and your horse is GORGEOUS.

As others have stated I would lodge a complaint. A judge like that is not needed! Your mare is stunning!!!

PS I currently own one and lost one foaling years back that could pass as color twins to the horse you have pictured. Not sure if they are silver bays or dun palominos, but that is the same color and the same intensity of stripe I have seen in my own horses.

That is HORRIBLE! I would MOST DEFINITLY file a complaint with he show giving club!!

As to the comment about being glad there are judges that are not scared to place a horse if they think a rule violation is being made, I totally disagree...they should be SURE the rule is being broken before they pull that. They should KNOW the rules, and KNOW if a rule is being broken or not, and if they don't KNOW, then they certainly should not penalize on a *thought* only. That particular judge very CLEARLY lacks any professionalism if he actually walked past and muttered that crap to the exhibitor!! I would have been FURIOUS and would have gone straight to the show giving committee immediately following the class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was this an AMHA show or an AMHR show. In any case I would file a formal complaint with that registry's LOC. They would then have to officially investigate. You could also just publish that judge's name. If you can show your horse has a dorsal stripe it could cost them their card.

Google search of the show provides the info that this was an AMHR show AND gives the name of the judge.

Wow is this ever sad! Too bad there wasn't a grievance committee right there at the show. This guy was beyond unprofessional and should loose his judges card. I hope you follow through.

wow ...I sure hope you do report him although you can replace the placing's you would have gotten

I do believe they should remove this judges card. Why weren't you given the chance to prove him wrong

after the first class instead of him robbing you of your placing's all day. What a creep to ruin your day

and not even mention his problem , so he thought right away instead of a rude remark late in the show

is your time and $ and trouble worth nothing?

Sorry to rant it just peeved me off to read your story

That is just wrong and very very unprofessional of any judge to do that.

I had a judge once in dressage say my QH/TB looked like a football player trying to do dressage and I got the lowest dressage score of the day because of it and every one said he had a good even test for not liking dressage (which he hates doing). Only good thing was I ranked up in points after cross country and stadium to at least place in the top 3 because all of those "dressage" horses that were not good jumpers at all which usually the more difficult levels was around 20 or so.

I love and agree with Mona's post above! You said what I felt.

Latest posts

Back