Joint Ill

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeeOkie

Reaction score
I have a colt born 9 days ago who is limping on one of his front legs - no other symptoms. This started late Saturday, and I will be contacting the vet this morning when he opens. I'm thinking he probably just hurt himself with his antics playing with the other foals. Are there other symptoms to joint ill?

Rita

Rita, I've never dealt with joint ill, but did take a filly to the vet in a panic one year, as she was limping too. It turned out to be that she played too hard and it went away by itself. I'm hoping that is what happened in your case too. Which baby is it?

Have you tired searching on google for joint ill? I'm sure you could find a list of the common symptoms, although I'm sure some forum members have had some less common symptoms. It would at least get you started, though.

Rita, I'd sure take it seriously - we went through 2-3 years of joint ill about eight years ago, never knew why but in each case the foal appeared to be off in one leg as if it had been kicked or stepped on. Happened at about 10 days to 2 weeks. We had 3 or 4 babies we treated for it, and the good news, all recovered and were just fine. Treated with Naxcel which worked but came with it's own problems....ie some diarrhea and depression. Good luck with yours. I have one I'm taking in this morning hoping it's not the same thing....he is over 2 months old so I'm hoping it's not the case.

Jan

Thank, Stephanie and Jan. Stephanie, it's Rhonda's baby. I don't think he was born when you were here. I'm still hoping that it was just an injury. He seems to be moving around better, not swollen, no fever, so I let him out this morning with the others to play. I haven't heard yet from the vet - he's been in surgery all morning. Jan, I sure will stay on top of it just in case it's serious. How was your little one that you took in this morning?

Rita

Rita saying prayers that your foal does not have it!! Just be careful as the symptoms can be very misleading. They seem to be different for different foals. Caught early its much easier to treat. If you wait too long they have to open the joint to drain etc. Also look for bright red gums etc

Septic arthritis is a bacterial infection of a joint. It is often combined with osteomyelitis, infection of the bone. Lameness or increased joint swelling (effusion) in a neonatal foal should be attributed to a septic arthritis/osteomyelitis process until proven otherwise. Many owners mistakenly believe that the mare must have stepped on the foal to make her lame but in fact the foal has a septic joint. This is important because septic joints need emergency treatment.

Septic arthritis is commonly referred to as joint ill, septic polyarthritis, septic epiphysitis and septic physitis, and is associated with infection of the umbilicus (navel ill).

# Usually foals have failure of passive transfer of maternal antibodies.

# Clinically, the foal may present with multiple problems related to septicemia (a wide spread bacterial infection) or they may be normal with the exception of a hot, swollen joint.

Rita, I'm dealing with it right now in my premature colt that had the plasma transfers. He's been on Naxcel since last Tues and I'm not sure what the outcome is going to be. He's better one day and worse the next. I started him on SMZ's too.

Jan, how long were your foals on Naxcel and how much were you giving?

Rita, I hope your little colt will be OK, and that is is something other than joint ill. Becky, sending prayers for your little guy too! Good Luck to both of you ladies and your foals.

Latest posts

Back