Joint Ill Treatment

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorgeous

Reaction score
What is the treatment for joint ill, and what is the usual outcome? Little filly is 1 week old today and has been extremely healthy and strong until this afternoon when we noticed her having a slight limp. Have a call in to the vet, I know it can get bad quickly. I was just curious as to what to expect. Thanks for your help.

I just went through this with a premature foal of mine. He had complete failure of passive transfer and required two plasma transfers. When I noticed him lame and running a fever at about a week and a half, my vet started him on Naxcel (1cc 2 X day). After 6 days and no improvement (I thought I was going to lose him), I started him on Penicillin (1 cc 2 X day for 5 days) and 1/2 SMZ 2 X day for 10 days. He's now been off of antibiotics for a week and no lameness and no temp.

Hopefully, your vet will prescribe antibiotics as this is something you don't want to take a 'wait and see' approach with. Good luck!

We had several cases of joint ill a number of years ago, all recovered with no lasting effects. I know I gave them Naxcel, and possibly penicillin as well, and had the joints flushed on a couple. My vet was treating a big horse foal with joint ill at the same time, and I don't know that he ever recovered......she said he had been there for a month already. Our foals did get depressed and have some diarrhea from the onslaught of antibiotics, something to be on the lookout for.

Jan

Latest posts

Back