Jello area?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
I keep hearing mares close to foaling will go soft and their Tail area will go like jello. I have heard so many people say this but have gotten conflicting answers on where this is. So I would like to know where the majority of members check for the jello feel.

I will post my pics, If they are wrong feel free to post yours or copy mine to add your opinion!

Is it the green, blue or red box? Or just the whole area in general?

Because to me the red and blue seem to be pretty jelloish anyway.

7-24-08020-1.jpg

7-24-08027-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would really like to hear others answers about this as well. When I check my mares I usually feel mostly in the blue area, maybe a little towards the bottom of the green. Don't know why, but I automatically checked this area.
default_unsure.png

As I have been checking Bonny the blue and red areas seem pretty soft and jelloish but the green area there is a firmer muscle there. I just wonder if that muscle softens also?

The overlap between the green and the blue, maybe doubled in size. The tail muscles will also relax, allowing you to pull and tug without any resistance. But, this can happen minutes to hours before foaling, so is not a hugely important sign
default_smile.png

Bonnie,

I am going by the first picture - When I get home I will try to figure out how to draw a box and I will try to show you better how I do it.

I check almost - inbetween the red and green line ( right around that area).

As far as the blue box - move the blue box in a little towards the tail and I start at the tip of the tail and go down farther than your blue box is showing.

I hope this helps a little.

Thanks Nathan, So about this?

The yellow is firmer.

The blue is pretty squishy.

7-24-08020-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion I don't think that looks very "jellowy" I ususally use all four of my fingers and try to jiggle the muscles right alongside her tail from right above the tail to just bast the point of the buttocks.

Just don't do it like this.
default_deadhorse2.gif
You might get into some trouble!
default_biggrin.png

That's pretty tight yet. Usually the best indicator for me is if their tail can be pulled up over their butt witout resistance.

Thanks yall. I used the palm of my hand to lift her tail from underneath and there is resistance. There is a muscle that runs to the tail, I am guessing that that is the muscle that will go soft and will sink making the tail more prominent and loose.

Correct?:

7-24-08043.jpg

On some mares you can see the pelvic bones move out and the muscles sink in. I think the tail is one of the last muscles to relax.

I agree with other's on this one Bonnie - Sometimes the tail ( when you lift it and it is soft) this can happen hours before foaling. So, I really don't go by that alot - but, I do keep a watch on it.

Back