JCPenney closing down some stores

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Can't say that I'm surprised. My mom dressed me in a lot of JCPenney clothing all my life and I dressed my kids in it too, but these past few years, its been a bummer. Maybe not in your JCPenney, but in mine it certainly went downhill. I went Christmas shopping there, or tried to and honestly, a lot of the clothing was not very nice and there wasn't much of a selection. I couldn't even find a Christmas department except a very few items they had scattered around the escalator area, and I mean just a few things like towels, candles, ornaments but not much of anything. I took my business to Kohls down the road.

Here's a list of closings:

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/01/15/heres-the-list-of-the-33-stores-j-c-penney-is-closing/?mod=yahoo_hs

Probably just the beginning of the end for them. In years past, I too loved shopping at J C Penneys but have noticed that they do not keep the merchandise in order like they used to. Maybe they haven't been hiring enough people to keep it picked up or maybe their clerks aren't trained or managed right.

This year we did almost all our buying online with Amazon. It was nice not to have to search for a parking space and deal with the crowds.

I do most all my shopping through Amazon too!

I looked at that list this am to see if our local store was on there but it's not. Our JC Penney has made some wonderful changes in the last year. Who ever it was they brought in a few years back to save the stores almost sunk them. I used to shop the Penny's catalog years ago and they had great quality and very good service, like Sears Roebuck but it's not the same anymore. I will not spend my money in any of the stores that bombard me with 40, 50 and 70% off signs all over the place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Penny's closed a few years ago. Miss the salon, had my hairdresser was there and now she is at a Penny's about an hour away
default_sad.png
But one of the other girls that did my hair too opened her own shop her in town
default_smile.png

I am very surprised. My mom got her wedding dress there back in the day. I can sort of understand. Clothing gets low priority these days. The last time I bought a dress I went to clothes mentor (secondhand). I do most of my purchasing at amazon and then grocery shopping for people and animals. I will do hand me downs. Clothing is low priority on the purchasing spectrum. Sorry to hear about the closings, I really like penneys.

Our JCPenny store doesn't look very nice and the clothes aren't practical for our area, for the city, but not the country. The shoe dept was of interest to me but they don't have any wides, you have to order everything. That's why Sears and Penny's are having trouble. They cater to the one size fits all population and most of us have different shapes. lol

Essentially its the online marketplace that is killing the department stores. Picking exactly what you want and getting it from the warehouse eliminates the need for displays and sales floors. Sad. Online retailers are the reason many of the small businesses in my area have closed too.

They are not closing a store near me but the store is poorly stocked. Not at all like it used to be. I have shopped there since I was a kid with my mom, the end of an era for me.

Latest posts

Back