Jack help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdomep

Reaction score
My best friend has the Jack (Elvis) the future husband for my Jenny (Priscilla) both are about 9 months old.

K is having probs with Elvis - I think he loves her
wacko.gif
He comes behind her and tries to jump her? And is becoming more aggresive but will mind her when repremanded...

Please give me ideas to help her...

THANKS

Wow, that's really not "cute" and very serious. How old is this jack? I'm guessing he's young and new to these "feelings" he's having. Simply put, jacks can be very aggressive. Just because he's a miniature is no excuse for him to try and mount a person. He'll weigh more than a person and can easily knock one down and hurt them, Jacks will often lay on top of another being (horse/donkey/person/dog) and then proceed to bite and show dominance over it. I would carry a good stout crop and as soon as she hears him coming up behind her, turn around quickly, smack him on the neck HARD (you're NOT gonna hurt him) and YELL NO! very harshly. This behaviour would have been stopped the second time it happened here. That's really not a good trait for any breeding animal. He's just showing dominance. He's not in "love".

oh yeah that can be dangerous. Gosh just imagine if he was a full size jack and did something like this. He could easily kill someone if he was a standard.......better stop it right now before it gets out of hand.

She needs to get a ahead of a bad situation, and stop this kind of behavior NOW. If he even is allowed to get away with it only once, things are only going to get worse! Jacks can get very nasty and aggressive, and if he is doing this to her now..can you imaging what its going to be like if he is around jennys in heat? She shouldnt let this jack get away with ANYTHING where she is not in control.

I know it is not cute - and yes he is young (8 months now - my Jenny is 10 months) he was weaned right to my friend (same day) and he is very attached to her and has just recently (last week) started this type of behavior and she asked me to post ASAP! She got a stud chain but that seems more for when you are leading and wrking with him. I think the suggestion of getting on him seconds before he tries is a good one. She does get to work with him daily so hopefully this will get nipped before it gets worse.So thanks for the info. I will let you know how he does.

My concern was how he would treat Priscilla when it does come time to bread...

Just be aware of this:::

[SIZE=14pt]Jacks (males) can be fertile at one year of age, sometimes earlier, sometimes later depending on when their testicles descend. The famed herd sire "Charlie Bandito" owned by Pheasant Meadow Farm in Maryland, produced his first offspring at the age of 12 months and his first son, "Guido Bandito" produced his first offspring at the age of 12-1/2 months. BEWARE: We've had two letters now in Miniature Donkey Talk Magazine of 7 month old jacks reproducing![/[/SIZE]B]

And This:::

[SIZE=14pt]If the jack has descended testicles, he can reproduce and many jennets start producing eggs that can be fertilized at 9 months of age so obviously you cannot pasture these two animals together. (Miniature Donkey Talk Magazine has published two letters from owners confirming 7 month old jennets becoming pregnant.) If you allow such a young jennet to become pregnant you are asking for big trouble (see above under reproduction). Not to mention, your reputation as a responsible "breeder/owner" will be ruined.[/[/SIZE]B]

So he may well be ready and jumping on a Human is sure not what anybody wants but He may Also be Matureing and SHOULD BE watched VERY carefully and with lots of caution~

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - I will share all of this info. The 2 youngsters are pastured 1 mile away so that won't be a problem - not planning on breeding them until Priscilla is 3 or 4.

A guess of mine is that if the little guy is only that old and already that aggressive in his breeding gestures, he may be aggressive when breeding jennets. He could change, but that's pretty intense behavior to turn on a handler at that age. I would definately have a muzzle around for breeding and hand breed.

dbarjminis said:
A guess of mine is that if the little guy is only that old and already that aggressive in his breeding gestures, he may be aggressive when breeding jennets. He could change, but that's pretty intense behavior to turn on a handler at that age. I would definately have a muzzle around for breeding and hand breed.
332700[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly (I may buy one for him ;) to keep my sweetie safe)

News...

All she did was scold him once (didn't even hit him - just turned around yelled "NO" and backed him into a corner) and he hasn't done it again
smile.gif

She will have to stay on him and thanks for the info
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back