ivermectin wormers with pregnant mares?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As more people start to use it then the number of problems will also go up.

The company itself have admitted to problems, so basically they will have to do something to make the product easier to handle.

You have to realise that the average horse owner is just that, an average horse owner...this is why they have just started marketing a product you feed to your horse as a tit bit.

Do you have problems worming your horses??

No neither do I, but we are not average horse owners.

Will an average horse owner realise that if his horse has lost body condition but not weight he is putting it at risk using the amount of Quest for weight recommended??

Not likely.

So they will either have to work something out or get even more embarrassed by horses dying on them.

At the moment they are able to get away with settlements out of court that require non-disclosure, but as people talk all the time on the Internet and numbers of horses affected go up this will not be possible.

There is nothing wrong with Moxidectin and, if you have well conditioned animals and you weigh them and dose accordingly you should not, in theory, overdose.

It is just not a dial and dose sort of wormer like Ivermectin, that's all.

And at the moment there is no reason to suppose that there will be a global resistance to Ivermectin, if so, it's been a long time coming as that rumour started at least 15 years ago!!

The makers of Vioxx and other drugs that have since been removed from the market tried to say the same thing- the number of users that had good results was not a reason to take it off the market..... and people kept dying, having strokes and heart attacks. I would not want to risk using a drug that has a fairly high risk when there are other things safer to use..... but that is just me.

Quest was supposedly tested before it hit the market and it was not until after there were problems that they decided they better note something else and admit to the problems.. any company can, and many have been noted to, 'tweak' the tests to read how they want to get something on the market......

And thanks Jane for the further info on the tapeworms and varieties.. I had not gone into that much depth.

Although the original post asked about Zimecterin Gold which is not labeled for use in pregnant mares, there is another "combo" wormer out there that is: Equimax It uses the same two chemicals but if I remember right the % are a bit different, and Equimax is labeled for use in pregnant mares. I noticed on scanning the information given about it on this site that it actually only treats one type of tapeworm.

Yes, but Vioxx HAD negative effects that were significant and numerous, whereas Quest does not. There have been problems, yes, but so far the frequency of those problems combined with the reason (ie overdose vs correct dose) does not warrent there being a significant warning or any reason to pull it off the market.

Equimax is the same percentage as the other drugs.

As far as tweaking results... why would they want to? The negative press, reputation hit, and lawsuit $$ would not make it worth the effort. If its a good product it'll sell itself. If it has issues the manufacturer will pull it. There are so many billions of dollars put into drugs which didn't work out its not funny... its a totally expected part of development and companies have no problem scrapping bad projects.

No, Zimecterin Gold and Equimax do not have the same percentages listed. Zimecterin Gold says ivermectin 1.55%/ praziquantel 7.75% while Equimax says ivermectin 1.87%/ praziquantel 14.03%. So, they are a bit different. Both of them only claim to treat one type of tapeworm of the three Jane mentioned, Anoplocephala perfoliata.

Hi all,

I ended up using Equimax..hopefully it will help with Sahara's itching as well as worming them all. She is still the only one itching, I am hoping it is just shedding and not something else like lice or fungus. We will see...how long before it would kill the lice(if that is what is going on)?
default_unsure.png

Latest posts

Back