Ivermectin and pregnant mares??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luv2ridesaddleseat

Reaction score
I swear I did a seach on this forum a couple of weeks ago and there were many posts that said people use Ivermectin de-wormer on their pregnant mares. I read the box on the Zimecterin, and it says "has not been tested in pregnant mares", (among others). So I called my Vets office to see if Ivermectin is safe to use, and I was told, "READ THE BOX"! Grrr!! I went to my local feed store today and read the box of a "generic" brand of Ivermectin and it says it's perfectlly safe for pregnant mares. I am looking for a wormer that includes killing tapes. So is it safe to use the Zimecterin? Or should I just go out and buy the generic one, which I would have bought to begin with, but didn't know they now carried generic ivermectin. Perhaps the Zimecterin has something else in it, that the generic brand that also kills tapes doesn't have?

Thanks for your help!

Joyce

I have not had "a lot" of pregnant mares but have used it during six pregnanies w/o any problems and using it on three mares currently. I have used Equimax (Ivermectin + praziquantel which gets tapes) on pregnant mares w/o any issues. Additionally, I think it is VERY important to give the new mother ivermectin w/in 12 hours of the foal being born.

PS My vet has told me both are safe / good to use in pregnant mares.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have NEVER had a problem using Ivermectin on our pregnant girls, for 17 years now....... We also give it to each mare shortly after they've foaled out.

I have used it since it came out on the market on ALL horses, foals, old ones, pg mares, everything. I have never had any problems and my vet has told me this stuff is pretty darned safe...

I use Ivermectin on all my horses regardless of their pregnancy status or age and have never had a problem, nor have I heard of any one else having a problem.

FYI Zimectrin is an Ivermectin only wormer to get tapes you must try something like Zimectrin Gold which like the Equimax that Jill uses also contains Praziquantel. (This info is available in a chart at Jeffers Equine.com and explains what each brand of wormer contains and which worms they work against.)

Off Topic -- but I'd love to see more of that grullo/grulla with socks in your avatar
default_wub.png

Yes, this one that I have is the Gold! I always use it this time of the year, but I now have a pregnant mare and had to ask questions!

Thank you all for your information. I thought it was safe to use. Reignmaker, thanks for your "extra information" as always!!

Thank you all!!!

Joyce

A box can not say "safe for pregnant mares" unless the product has undergone extensive testing on pregnant mares. Since the cheap generic companies don't do the testing, they can't say they are safe.

Praziquantal has not been tested on breeding animals as far as I know, so any wormer containing it will say "not tested on breeding animals". As far as I know its safe, but I'd probably skip the praziquantel on pregnant mares. Its only one or two wormings per year, tapeworms aren't very common and they can stand to skip it while pregnant.

Zimectrin (1.87% Ivermectin) is fine for pregnant mares. Zimectrin Gold (Ivermectin/Praziquantel) is not considered safe for mares that are in foal. If the box doesn't say anything about use on pregnant mares, then it's not safe to use.

I deworm all of my pregnant mares with Equimax. It is labeled safe for pregnant mares.

Good to know, thanks everyone for your input on this subject...I am the one who advised Joyce not to use Ivermectin on her pregnant mare as advised by my vet for my mare. I don't know why she said not to use it, just figured she knew best.?.
default_wacko.png

Its not unsafe either Matt... just untested.

Alright Nathan. I wouldn't put an "untested" product in my mare (pregnant or not). If it's a chemical and it does not say that it's safe for pregnant mares, I wouldn't use it.

"Animal Safety:

Zimectrin Gold (ivermectin/praziquantel) Paste may be used in horses five months of age or older. Zimectrin Gold Paste has not been tested in foals younger than five months of age, in pregnant mares or breeding stallions. "

Praziquantel may have been tested on them, but not the product Zimectrin Gold.

Yes i noticed that equimax claims in the label to be safe but Zemectrin Gold doesn't. always made me wonder what they have in their product that may make it unsafe (doesn't mean it's the ivermectin or praz. but something else)... it's not like zemectrin is a small 'generic' company that can't afford the testing they have been a big seller for YEARS. I usually go with the equimax because of the labeling.

They are the same thing... the ONLY difference is one paid HUGE bucks to put the label on the box, the other decided to let the first company do it for them. There is no real need to test both products, they are the same exact thing.

I guess I'll just go get some equimax. While I have the box I will compare ingredients and see if there are any differences.

Jill, the little guy in my avitar is my new little colt. He is a doll baby! I'm trying to get rid of his huge belly that he came with.
default_sad.png
Heck, he doesn't even have a barn name yet. I about ready to have a "name the poor nameless colt contest"! LOL

Thank you everybody for your help as usual. This place is the best!

Joyce

Latest posts

Back