I've got a grouchy pants, Help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLJcowgirl

Reaction score
Hello All!
default_saludando.gif

I've noticed a bit of a change in my little Miss. I noticed a small change in her attitude at a show on the 2nd (extremely high and frisky), and the biggest change at our County Fair horse show the on the 11th of this month.

She was a BEAR. She was pinning her ears and heavily swishing her tail constantly, especially if any other horse walked past us. She wouldn't listen to me in the ring and danced constantly, even throwing in a buck or two when I asked for a trot in halter. That is not like her.

I was ready to kill her. But I had brought our cart to drive her around the grounds after I was done showing. Well... she was a dream. She drove incredibly well and even stood still for me. WTH???
default_wacko.png

Well a couple days later she came into a FLAMING heat. She was so flirty and... ahem... messy. But at the same time very mean to my gelding, luring him in and chasing him off.

She's also just seemed downright cranky this month. My MIL said she chased her dog the other day (never happened before). She also stamped her foot at a child, ears pinned, which she was quickly reprimanded for and she quit, but walked away... but she usually loves the little ones and is extremely gentle and friendly.

All in all, she is just off. I don't know if it's pain, or hormones or what. I don't quite know if this is a "call the vet" situation just yet either (as it is now, I know my vet would say that I've just got a grouchy mare)

My gut says it's probably not pain like joints or muscles, I think she would have more issues when hooked up if so, but she doesn't. But I know all to well the incredible pain and serious change in mood that cycling can bring on. I've considered ulcers as well... but I just am not sure. I did order some raspberry leaf and am going to give that a try and see if she brightens up a little bit.

I'm hoping maybe she's just off this month... What are your thoughts? Am I worrying to much?

Thanks in advance.

I would suspect it's hormones. Raspberry leaf does help human females in that department too. Keep tabs on the length of her heat cycles .... I take it she's young?

Two possibilities come to mind.... 1. a retained mature ovum that didn't expel from the ovary ... 2. a cyst on the ovaries. The first issue often resolves itself by the next heat cycle. (The ovum eventually "dies" and is sluffed away and another one matures.) The second one would need a vet. I believe there are drugs that help dissolve cysts.

That's what I was thinking. Also, companies like SmarkPak offer supplements for mares. You might call them and chat; they are very knowledgeable. I think I remember my chiro talking about this with one of her performance clients; she could tell where the discomfort was.

Thank you for your replies!

I had considered the possibilities of cysts, but I didn't know about retained ovum. That is very interesting. I will start tracking her heat cycles. She is usually pretty silent about them except for the occasional squeal and pee haha This last cycle didn't seem to last any longer than usual, it was just so extremely noticeable compared to the others, along with the terrible attitude.

And yes, she's young, she's 4.

Got my raspberry leaves, and boy does she love them! Hopefully that helps. I have also considered having a daily raspberry leaf tea for myself, hubby agrees some days
default_wink.png
haha

I think I'll watch her a bit longer and see if anything gets better, then maybe give SmartPak a call. I agree, they're awesome! I get some paks for my QH.

You brought up the chiro Marsha. She did have problems with her SI earlier this spring and I had a gentleman come out and work on her. Haven't had problems since. Could that have anything to do with this?

Back