It's time to Stop --Smoking

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaVern

Reaction score
I, decided to get my act together and get this AMHA stuff done. So I've been writing out checks and filling out forms and puffing away while I drink lots of coffee. Well, I dropped some ashes on some papers, didn't notice and started a fire. This darn smoking has got to stop. I know this is not funny, but if you could have seen me dancing around my office you probably would have laughed. Renee

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Renee, that's really NOT funny.....and yet, at the same time it IS funny.

Nothing like having a fire lit under you to get things done--I know many people who say that's what they need, but not many actually try it!
laugh.gif

I hear ya'!! I'm a smoker and all I have been doing lately is talking about quitting. So I have set this Sunday as the day to do it.

Try knocking your fire ball in your lap! That could have ended up a bad brush fire.
no.gif

Fran

Very touchy subject for me....

We believe that our house caught on fire when I was 14(lost most of all of our things) because of ashes in the trash can. My parents have both since quit.

It's a good idea to quit for your health as well as your safety.

new_shocked.gif
Bummer!

If you really want to quit and need someone for support, just holler! I smoked 2 pks a day for over 23 years and just quit for the first time! I just passed my 7 MONTH mark! I'm not doing it, I DID it.
yes.gif
If you need a buddy.......

[SIZE=14pt]Oh Renee!!! So glad you didnt burn your self up out there on the prairie!!! It would have taken DAYS for anyone to find you!!! And Tara would have has to send that Dally mare here to VA!!!!
wink.gif
wink.gif
[/SIZE]

Renee,

I will second that on if you need any email support. I quit 13 years ago after smoking 2 packs a day for 20 years. I am so happy that I quit and you won't believe how things change. Food tastes great and you can smell everything even your husbands dirty feet LOL (I love him just the same). Good luck and I hope that you succeed.

Quitting is a BIG step. Don't beat yourself up when you stumble if you try to quit either. Try quitting 5 minutes at a time. Pretty soon you'll have the day in.

I use to smoke 1 1/2 packs a day for a little better than 20 years. Have been smoke free for a little bette than 12 years. It is a tough road Renee, but well worth the journey. I wish you well if you try to quit, and the first step is done by wanting to quit. Congrats to all the folks that have made it to smoke free, and good luck to the ones trying to get there.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Oh thank you for my laugh of the day! I was starting to go to sleep there! I know it really shouldn't be funny at all but my g-ma always says I have a horrible sense of humor
rolleyes.gif
Good luck on quitting. I know there's lots of people out there that can help you through it. Me, I have no experience with smoking (oh man..I can just imagine what my mother would say and I don't think it's such a good habit to be forming at only 16!) so all I can do is pray for ya.

You can do it!!! And just think of all the money you will have to spend on horsey stuff -maybe even a new horse with the price of smokes these days..I was a 2 pack a day smoker for over 25 years and quit in March of 1982 and have not smoked since.Can't stand the stinky smell of it now.If I could just get control of my appetite and lose these pounds that keep finding me I would be much better.Good luck with the smoking and keep us posted.

Minimor said:
Oh Renee, that's really NOT funny.....and yet, at the same time it IS funny.
Nothing like having a fire lit under you to get things done--I know many people who say that's what they need, but not many actually try it!
laugh.gif

447917[/snapback]

I don;t smoke but I chew so if a drool on the papers at least there is just a stain to wipe off and not a burnt hole.. So I would say give of smoking and take up chewing at least no fires get started with chewing tobacco
biggrin.gif

I don't smoke but I am trying to give up chocolate. Those chocolate pounds just keep finding me in my sleep, in front of the computer, and even when I just smell it.
rolleyes.gif

Good luck with quitting
laugh.gif

Good Luck, I quit 5 years ago. I don't miss it at all.
biggrin.gif

If the others aren't avaliable I'd be happy to help anyway I can.

I have been up for two hours-no smokes yet. I do need help. Those of you that have quit, did you use a patch or gum or just will-power?

I have been up for two hours-no smokes yet. I do need help. Those of you that have quit, did you use a patch or gum or just will-power?

I'm not a smoker...never have been....so I am all for EVERYONE to stop smoking. It's such a bad habit that not only affects YOUR health...but everyone else's health around you. Many fires & deaths have been caused by smoking. I have a cousin who died in his house when he fell asleep with a cigarette in his hand & it caught his house on fire.
sad.gif
Smoking causes accidents on the highway. And I'm not even going to go into the statistics on lung cancer, and the dangers of second hand smoke. I've lost a couple of friends to lung cancer who never smoked....but whose spouses smoked heavily. The people I work with who smoke (and they are really lovely people other than their smoking habit) take twice as many breaks that last twice as long simply because they have to go out & "have a smoke". I'm really glad that so many places of business, even whole towns, have implemented NO smoking. AND that they keep raising taxes on cigarettes. I know those who are "addicted" think it's not fair.....but anything to encourage people to stop smoking is a good thing in my book.
yes.gif

I know how "touchy" smokers can be about this subject. But, before you all start "flaming" ........I DO know how difficult stopping can be. But isn't your health worth it!!???? I have several friends who have tried... repeatedly...and failed. They REALLY DO want to stop....and sometimes do stop for a while...but always seem to break down at some point & start in again.
no.gif
You DO need a support system. It's very hard to stop smoking when you have family members or friends that you are around all the time who smoke. And to those of you who have successfully stopped smoking....
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

BTW.....my husband was a heavy smoker for years. Then after he lost his best friend to lung cancer (heavy smoker) he stopped "cold turkey" and has never smoked since. (15 years now!)
wub.gif
He feels SO much better & won't even allow anyone to smoke in his car now.

Hi LaVern, Both my self and my husband quit 3 years ago- which helped we quit together- I used the gum my husband used the patch- It took us almost 3 months to speak to each other
laugh.gif
and the kids kind of hid
laugh.gif
but it does take will power and support- best thing we have done for ourselves. Good luck! P.M. if you need a shoulder-Tiffany

I quit my 2 pack a day STINKY BAD HABIT in 1982 and did it cold turkey with no aids, just will power.I think you have to be in the right frame of mind.I had tried before&no luck and then it just worked. I kept a pack of smokes in the freezer for a month.I didn't want anybody to tell me I couldn't have a smoke if I wanted.Good Luck.Keep us posted.

Using the patch ( not off brand, tried those before and they did not stick well) and doing well. I have carrots, celery, cut straws and twizzlers for hand management. And I think I have the cleanest house in Ohio now.
biggrin.gif
You can do it!

Fran

Latest posts

Back