It's Official - We're Hooked

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JewelsOK

Reaction score
We are officially addicted to minis. We just made arrangements to buy our second mini!! This one is for my oldest daughter (13). She wanted an "older" mini so she could train it to do hunter, obstacle and maybe eventually even carting. The wonderful people that we bought our first mini from made us a great offer on a 3 year old gray gelding. His name is Crosswinds Xclusive Gray Cloud aka "Cloud".

Here is a picture of him at I think the age of 2. He has been on pasture and is a little fuller figured, but my daughter will be exercising him and our boarding situation will limit his grazing time, so he out to slim down in a timely manner. We're working on getting his stall ready. He'll have a stall right next to Image. I haven't decided if I will put them in the same small turnout area or give them seperate areas. I'm afraid since Cloud (33") is bigger than Image (yearling 28.5"), Image might get picked on. I'll have to see how they get along and then decide. Do geldings usually get along well together? I''m sure I'll need to separate them for feedings.

6-07Cloud.jpg

That didn't take long did it (getting hooked)? Congratulations to you.

Anytime new horses are put together, it may take some time for them to become accustomed to each other. Usually they will work it out, just watch them carefully until you know they are OK with each other.

Congratualtions! You will be suprised how these little guy's keep adding up.

First I quarentine if they have been on a trailer. So, I don't let them touch each other for at least two weeks.

Then I let all new horses get to know one another through the fence first. When I feel comfortable then I turn them out together and watch them really close for awhile. I just think getting to know each other through the fence first is very important and doesn't let anyone get hurt.

I am happy your daughter is so envolved in the miniatures. I wish mine would have been, but I have a granddaughter I have high hopes for.

By the way, he is very nice!

Congratulations, Jerry and Anna are very nice, aren't they?

That's how it all starts--you get just one and it builds from there.

Congrats!!! It doesn't take long to get addicted to them!
default_wacko.png

The only problem with putting them together is feeding time. The dominant one or the one who eats faster might get more food than the littler one. So they may have to be separated at feeding. Or they might just get along and eat together. You never know!
default_laugh.png

Congratulations!!!
default_smile.png

Grey is one of my favorite colors
default_wub.png

You all will have SO much fun with your new boy
default_yes.gif

Congratulations! Minis are quite an addiction. You can never just have one! Enjoy!

Thanks for all the kind words. Cloud is a real sweetheart. We actually got to take care of the breeder's 29 minis (including Cloud, a very cute weanling that I am in love with, and 3 foals - so CUTE!!) while they were at the show in Wichita and we had so much fun! I could see myself owning several, but think 2 is all we can do right now since we live in town and have to board our horses. Thankfully the stable that we board at is less than 2 miles from our house and they are very accommodating of our new found love of minis. Someday we hope to own 10 or so acres so we can keep our horses at home. I just dread the thought of actually packing and moving, ugh!

I can't wait to bring him home!!

Congratulations Julie, on your newest addition! Aren't Jerry and Anna the greatest? I didn't know you did 'horse sitting'! You know, there is quite a demand for that service among the mini breeders in this area.

It's good to see Cloud going to a home where he will be loved and have a purpose in life!

Charlotte

Hi Charlotte. Jerry and Anna are wonderful. My girls just love them. We don't really "horse sit" officially, but seems that at least once a week we take care of someones horse and almost always during holidays because we are at a self care boarding facility and so many of the boarders are college students that go home. My husband and I both have our family in the area so we are always around during the holidays. This was our first time to get to take care of minis. We lucked out and got to do so because the 2 college aged kids that Jerry usually uses were also out of town. Jerry tried to pay us, but we were like, are you kidding, we should pay you for letting us it was that much fun!! Thankfully it was cooler so we really got to enjoy spending time there. They live about 8 miles from us.

I have never taken money for horse sitting (well, one time an OSU vet paid my daughter to take care of his three horses, 3 dogs and fish), but I just don't have the heart to take money from a college kid although there was one gal whose mother worked for Wrigley and she would give us boxes of gum, lifesavers, etc. At our barn we just help each other out. It works well. I just love being around horses.

Maybe I ought to consider doing it as a little business?

Congratulations Julie, on your newest addition! Aren't Jerry and Anna the greatest? I didn't know you did 'horse sitting'! You know, there is quite a demand for that service among the mini breeders in this area.
It's good to see Cloud going to a home where he will be loved and have a purpose in life!

Charlotte

Latest posts

Back