It's official! She's white!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
7-05Crocus1.jpg

I got Redrock Crocus Blossoms' registration papers from AMHR. They have determined that she is a 'white' horse. They said the lab results show her to be white. Not true! The lab results show that she is black! Genetically, white is not a color in horses. I'm not going to argue with them at this point, but this brings up points to ponder (still waiting to see what AMHA will do).

Should the registries put the horses' genotype (genetic color) on the registration papers or the phenotype (what you actually see)? Personally, if you have lab proof of a color in a horse, I feel that should be the color listed with a notation as to how the horse appears. As in Crocus case, list her as black and in parenthesis perhaps (appears white). That covers all basis. I personally like to see the correct color of a horse as much as possible in the Studbook records as it is important to me when researching colors and patterns.

Becky said:
7-05Crocus1.jpg

I got Redrock Crocus Blossoms' registration papers from AMHR.  They have determined that she is a 'white' horse.  They said the lab results show her to be white.  Not true!  The lab results show that she is black! Genetically, white is not a color in horses.  I'm not going to argue with them at this point, but this brings up points to ponder (still waiting to see what AMHA will do).

Should the registries put the horses' genotype (genetic color) on the registration papers or the phenotype (what you actually see)?  Personally, if you have lab proof of a color in a horse, I feel that should be the color listed with a notation as to how the horse appears.  As in Crocus case, list her as black and in parenthesis perhaps (appears white).  That covers all basis.  I personally like to see the correct color of a horse as much as possible in the Studbook records as it is important to me when researching colors and patterns.

439923[/snapback]

Naaa...she is white..?? LOl

I am with you on that One..it drives me NUTS..greys are usually silvers, bays with flaxen mane and tial..silver bays..and on and on..If you have NO pictures and just the studbook it can be a challenge to figure the right color of your horse out..

I have to agree with you on the colors! i think "black (appears white)" or "black (maximum expression shown as white)" would make alot more sense and be more accurate!

the colors are so mixed up on registration papers that who know what colors the horses really are? i.e. horse listed as GREY ----- is it a GREY , a roan, a sabino, or a silver?????

jennifer
saludando.gif

I believe the current stand for AMHR colors is that the color listed on the papers will be the phenotype, as the listing is for identification purposes only

in short, I don't expect either of the registries to make an effort to assist with genetic color research and predictions for those interested in it.

I have to agree with Johnice ... the color designation on registration papers is for the purpose of identifying the horse... not for the genetics behind the color. If I was buying your filly (which, by the way, I would love to do!!) and was presented with papers that said she was black, I would think you were trying to sell me a "pig in a poke" (boy! I'm showing my age with that one!).

I guess the only way to give prospective buyers an idea of the color genetics behind a horse would be to give them a copy of the lab report.

I've got to agree with Jean B on this one. If I were buying a horse that appeared white and said Black on its registration papers, I would be very hesitant. I think "Black (appears white) would also be confusing. I would however like to see possibly "White (genetically black based Sabino)" or something of that nature. It may not happen, but if we don't ask for it, it certainly won't happen.

put me on the list of those that agree that the papers are like a title to a car if a car

I think that it would be SO much work for the registry to start going by genetics since some have lab results to show it others have there own ideas .. i would say you have the lab work to back it up for potential buyers

but i also somewhat agree with you as well

Then maybe with genetic tested horses, registries should list the phenotype 'white' as in Crocus' case with a notation 'lab tested black'? I just hate to not have the 'real' color noted somewhere in the registry records!

Jean, Crocus is in neighboring Oklahoma when you get moved!
smile.gif

One more thought, Crocus will probably find more than one owner in her lifetime and I'd almost bet money somebody will try to pass her off as 'cremello' knowingly or unknowingly. If I was a buyer looking for a true cremello, I would be terribly disappointed and frustrated to find out (probably by breeding) that that's not what I bought. Another reason to have the actual genetic color on the registration certificate somewhere!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back