It's never going to change.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep! I love to watch halter but I understand why it wouldn't be very exciting to the average person
default_yes.gif

Here is another way too look at it. We all complain how well known, conformationaly flawed little miniature horses that well known because of their size why not contact national news, like GMA for example and tell them about Nationals and how it is the biggest horse show for small equine around the world. Might be a long shot but it would be nice to get some media attention on some show winners for once. Some people might get a kick out of it, especially get the attention like the chariot events.

Yes, those Chariot events, they'd sell a miniature to a Oklahoma cowboy. But first I had better go to the Events site. Read what they say about stuff and then call them and find out just what we can do.

We should have pop for kids and they have rules. Stuff like that.

I will not be at Nationals this year but am wondering if a fund could be started to finance a special celebration for the 25th anniversary of the National show, I would be one of the first to donate for sure!

stormy--not sure if you mean a celebration for this year, or just to start fundraising this year? In any case, 2012 is the 25th annual Nationals shiw, but the 25th anniversary of the show isn't until 2013. Just wanted to clarify that!

Makes perfect sense that Nationals is the largest small equine show... not only QH Congress (impressively huge!) but QH World, APHA World, etc are probably bigger.

So easy for us all to say "gee, somebody should do that", and I'm as guilty as anyone.. Good call though - putting something a little more enticing on the Tulsa site should be an easy fix, and it's the right price.
default_smile.png

Jan

Ha, kind of like the new millenium, actualy the year after?? anyway I think sponserships would bring in a lot of $$$ to support a 25th anniversary celebration whichever year it is!!
default_yes.gif
But sponserships that allow folks to give in small amounts, not just large chunks!!

stormy--not sure if you mean a celebration for this year, or just to start fundraising this year? In any case, 2012 is the 25th annual Nationals shiw, but the 25th anniversary of the show isn't until 2013. Just wanted to clarify that!
I don't get this? Can you explain why the 25th show is in 2012 but the anniversary of the show is not until 2013?

Thanks.

Jacki Loomis

[email protected]

Look at it this way. You start a new show in 2012. The first show is 2012. The second annual show is 2013. However--the 2013 show is only the first anniversary of that show.

Look at it this way. You start a new show in 2012. The first show is 2012. The second annual show is 2013. However--the 2013 show is only the first anniversary of that show.
Thanks for the explanation, still seems strange to me. You don't celebrate your 50th wedding anniversary on the day you've been married 51 years...strange!

Jacki Loomis

[email protected]

It can also work the other way... If the shows are the same time each year, you have the 1st show in year "zero", the 2nd show after year "one"... so the 25th show is actually 24 years "down the road". Aren't number fun?
default_biggrin.png

You don't celebrate your 50th wedding anniversary on the day you've been married 51 years...strange!
A wedding anniversary is a little different in that you don’t have annual weddings! You have your wedding, and then a year later you have your first anniversary.

If you were to get remarried every year on your anniversary then it would work exactly the same….you would have your first wedding, then a year later, on your first anniversary you would have your second wedding….see? Exactly the same.

With a horse show…the first show isn’t an anniversary, it is just the first annual show.  Second show—first anniversary of that show.  Twenty-fifth show—24th anniversary of that first show.  Exactly the same as a wedding and wedding anniversary.

More clarifications ..... or ... math, math & more math ....

The National Board decreed ... based on LaVern's request for an official answer in 2011 ... that 2013 would be the 25th anniversary of the show. It's based on MATH .... apparently they determined that the first official AMHR National Show occured in 1988. That makes 2013 the ANNIVERSARY. An anniversary is an observance of a specific date or event. Take 1988 ... add 25 ... wa la ... you get to 2013. I was married in 1994 ... my 25th anniversary will be in 2019. It's the same math.

Last year for the Congress, with the historic move to Des Moines, the show's original home, the association wanted to be able to spin the PR w/ a historical perspective. They started by saying ... 65th anniversary. Unfortunately, the first Congress was held in 1947. Being an editor and history buff, there was NO WAY I could let that error be perpetuated. I insisted it be changed to the more correct 65th show. If you COUNT the actual number of shows, last year was the 65th running. That doesn't change the ANNIVERSARY. That makes THIS YEAR the 65th anniversary of the Congress .... the 65th anniversary of the first event. Just like Dec. 31 2019 will be the 25th anniversary of my marriage.

So ... given the need for historical perspective ... we celebrated the 65th running of the Congress last year. That's based on counting the actual # of SHOWS.

The same exact things applies to AMHR Nationals. This year is the 25th running of the show. Next year is the 25th anniversary ... because in an anniversary, you celebrate the occurance of a specific thing.

As chair of the historical committee and knowing LaVern's itch to celebrate the Nationals, I went out on a limb w/ the budget to get stuff going for AMHR Nationals NOW. We're set up to give Nationals enthusiasts and supporters basically two years to do an R Nationals retrospective and celebration. First, allowing AMHR Nationals to note the 25th show gives you all the SAME EXACT treatment as celebrating the 65th Congress. Well, same in terms of concept ... BETTER in terms of actuality because I asked for a budget for the National Anniversary subcommittee. The 65th Congress didn't have squat. I paid for that historical display outta my own pocket and generous donors made the reception possible.

So ... thinking ahead. I asked for a small budget for getting the AMHR Anniversary celebration started. I started making that known in MARCH. We asked two different folks to chair the effort. Both said 'no.' It's been in The Journal. It's been posted online. It's been in the Enews. To date, we've had exactly TWO individuals volunteer to help but neither are able to chair the activity.

Following the plan set up by the Historical Committee would allow those interested in an AMHR National Show Celebration effectively 18 months to put this together and the potential to have a small effort on display at this year's show ... the 25th running of the event ... and a big honking deal next year for the official anniversary. Having had to slam together an entire 65th Congress display together in about 4 months time, I understood the advantages having ample time and a token budget will give those interested in doing something similar for AMHR Nationals.

The historical committee also PLANNED to ask for another additional small budget amount for the AMHR Nationals celebration for next year. HOWEVER, if no members are able to step forward to coordinate this, then there is no point in asking for another amount if no one is even going to use the current amount.

THERE IS A BUDGET STARTED FOR AN ANNIVERSARY ACTIVITES. THERE ARE SUGGESTIONS, TIPS, etc. for going about the other things needed to do a party or reception. We already have an established track record ... for example, it was easy to raise the money for last year's 65th Congress reception because the budget didn't exist for food & extras --- nor does it for a 25th anniversary of a different show. The info and outline of suggestions is already PUT TOGETHER.

WHAT WE NEED ... folks willing to serve on the subcommittee and DO THE WORK ... do the research for any display ... gather pics or memorabilia ... scan & print .... mount & frame ... set up the display ... fundraise for a party ... make cookies ... order the cake ... buy supplies ... find volunteers to set up & man the party ... and find someone to do the clean up.

Unforunately, the Historical Committee had the People Hall of Fame added to our agenda and workload with no warning this year. So some members are working on fleshing out bios for that because the folks nominating individuals really didn't do their jobs in terms of providing quality info. We're working on creating a number of different historical lists for the association because you'd be surprised at the number of things that just don't exist in any official format. We're working to replace missing trophies. We're still working on expanding and finishing the Congress historical display because ... well, let's face it ..... 65 years includes lots and lots of info. If we think you'll never every bit of 18 months to execute a great historical review for 25 years, you can understand why ... 16 months later ... I am still working on 65 years of history for a different show. We've got a big job started getting historical records scan. For those who may not know, paper files go back to 1888. Plus, there are something like 10 boxes of old photos that are our next big project to back up, scan and make avaible in some fashion. We estimate it's between 1500 & 2000 pics. And, that doesn't count more boxes of pics ranging from 1995-2010.

So, members of the Historical Committee have a lot on their plates. Hence the need to create a subcommittee for the AMHR National Show celebrations. The HC is ready and willing to support this effort. Members of the subcommittee will work specifically w/ a couple of long-time AMHR National Show exhibitors and Miniature enthusiasts who serve on the H.C.

If you'd like to get involved .... you may email: [email protected]. Sorry if that email offends anyone. It's not a slam of any sorts to AMHR or Miniatures. Rather, it's simply a personal email because the association doesn't offer "official" emails for its committees and volunteers. When you serve on multiple committee and due hundreds of hours of work for other committees you aren't even on, you need one central place for all of your ASPC/AMHR/ASPR/NSPPR contact to go and that email is it.

Looking forward to having many of you step up. There's some good groundwork prepared. It will be intersting to see now who will take it and run ... and what you all will accomplish.

Just checked the Event Center. Still the same. So guess I should call office or Lenard. Wonder who I should ask for. Larry is the Chairman of Miniature Committee. Have already talked to him. Maybe just give it a few days. I don't know. I copied what the Palomino people wrote. They even have the schedule of show on. I looks like we cal put anything we want up.

Calendar of Events

World & Youth World Palomino Horse Show

Ford Truck Arena

Tuesday, Jul 24 - Saturday, Aug 04

The international organization known as the Palomino Horse Breeders of America (PHBA) was formed in 1941 to collect, record, preserve the purity of blood, and improve the breeding of Palomino horses. The original concept began in 1938 due to the efforts of numerous dedicated horsemen and women.

Event Information:

Facility / Location

• Ford Truck Arena

Ticket Information:

• Free

Contact Information:

Palomino Horse Breeders of America

15253 East Skelly Drive

Tulsa, OK 74116

(918) 438-1234

Talked to office and they said it would be taken care of. Very helpful and nice. You are so right Mary Lou.

One final point about the numbers....

I mentioned my wedding date & my 25th anniversary date. Let's add something else to that mix. What if I renewed my vows EVERY single year? We would say vows for the 26th time on our 25th anniversary.

Day two since I called office, and no change on Expo Center Calendar of Events. I did call and email them asking if the elevator was working okay as they had to get parts from Germany last year. They said everything was working.

Latest posts

Back