It's Happened Again!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylady

Reaction score
For some reason, every so often, someone in this area has to do something that is really ridiculous. The media get wind of it, and the next thing you know, people all over the country are laughing at those numbskulls in Wilmington again. I'm sure some people must wonder if there is something in the water around here!

The latest cause for hilarity involves, of all things, Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer. It seems that some woman objected to it being part of her child's school's holiday concert. She said that, because it contains the words "Santa" and "Christmas," that it is a religious song. Seriously! The principal pulled the song, only to reinstate it when other parents objected at its removal. As this lady said, on camera, "I guess there's only one religion that matters around here" (she's Jewish.)

Puh-leeze! Rudolf a religious icon? My father is an ordained minister, and he walked out of a Christmas concert at a church over this same song, because he felt it had no place in a worship service. I think both views are a bit extreme, but trying to claim that a song promotes a religion on such slim evidence is just plain silly. To try to defend that view in front of a camera shows a major lack of good sense, IMO. D'you think she's trying to get on Jerry Springer, or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kudos to the principal for reinstating Rudolph into the program and to the parents for insisting that he do so. It's way past time for the majority have to stop catering to the whims of the minority. I noticed you referred to the program as a "holiday concert" - IMO just another example of the people who object to "Christmas". Sorry.....but I have a problem with people who think they have a right to change anything just because they either don't like or don't agree with it.

I agree that she'd be a good guest for Springer.

Sounds totally typical for the present day.

We have a baby doll in our local Walmart. It is motion activated. When you walk by it says "mama" "goo goo" and "islam is the light". The local people are trying to get Walmart to remove the doll. Actually, I figure the managers are leaving it because people are coming into the Walmart to see it--great for holiday sales traffic! (While we're here looking at this doll, let's pick up a few things...)

For some reason, the doll is not selling well. I have not gone by to see it, so don't know what brand it is. My sister works at Walmart and told me about it. Last night my son went by to see it. He said people were taking pictures of it and planning to contact Walmart.

Trying to be PC is plain silly nowadays. When I was in chorus class in 7th grade, in ancient times, my teacher was jewish. We sang traditional christmas songs and hebrew songs in the holiday concert. No big deal; noone was offended. I thuught it was fun- except for the part where I had to try to sing well.

Sometimes I think some of our Christian leaders have a bit of a persecution complex, but they do have a point. It seems that any other religion is OK, but any aspect of Christianity is fair game for all the potshots one cares to take. While I agree that it isn't right for me to stuff my belief system down anyone else's throat, I ought to be able to wish someone "Merry Christmas" without worrying that I might offend someone!

I once heard someone define democracy as "the tyranny of the majority." I think political correctness is "the tyranny of the one," where people are so hyper-sensitive, they quail and tremble at the mere thought of offending, even by accident. Of course, one can trample on the majority all one likes, they are just the boorish majority, after all, and in serious need of sensitivity training. No need to coddle them!

I heard about that doll a few weeks ago. I am cynical enough to believe that Walmart might be keeping it on the shelf just for the draw of "shock value." Of course, if she were saying something that was disrespectful of Islam, or something like "Jesus is the way," they would have pulled it immediately!

...whatever happened to "all created equal"? What a mess the world lives it to be so bored that they must create drama. Good thing my horses don't care what I sing when I'm riding them. I love Rudolph. It's also a good thing they don't know the difference between good and bad singing
default_wink.png

While I'm here, Happy Holidays to all, and many wishes of health and happiness for the year to come.

I'm glad that principal grew a backbone when the other parents got after him! Too bad he didn't have the guts to stand up to that woman in the first place.

I just came from the CHRISTMAS concert at my daughter's elementary school, and was pleasantly surprised to see how much Christian content there was this year. In recent years, it had become quite generic and probably would have been more appropriately called a "winter" concert. This year, each of grades highlighted a different country's Christmas and presented the history of certain carols such as Good King Wenceslas and The Twelve Days of Christmas. It was very well done, and I think the kids might have actually learned something.

On the matter of religious music in seasonal concerts, our public school system takes the position that you can include it if you want to, but you can't have just one, you must include music of a variety of religions at the same time. And of course, participation is not mandatory, so, if you have a problem with the program, you and your child can stay home. I understand that what this woman was trying to do, was to force the school to include a song relating to Hanukkah in the program. If her aim really was to promote a little cultural diversity, she sure picked a ham-fisted way to go about it! (Oops! She's Jewish, could that be like a racial slur?)
default_unsure.png

[SIZE=12pt]Pickin on poor Rudolph now are they? Oh gimmee a break for pete's sakes. Its bad enough the poor thing couldn't join in any reindeer games and now this. [/SIZE]

I don't know why why why some self righteous people in this world have to pick pick pick on every inocent dang thing till they blow it apart and ruin it for others. Dad gum grinches.

Thank GOD we still have the freedom of speech AND we live in free, democratic countires. I still wish anyone I meet & greet with a hearty old fashioned MERRY CHRISTMAS.

[SIZE=12pt]I just don't get why everyone get so offended
default_new_shocked.gif
If someone said Happy Hanukkah to me I'd be happy to acknowledge that and say Happy Hanukkah back to them even though I'm not Jewish
default_new_shocked.gif
[/SIZE]

Religious belief and holidays can be so awesome
default_yes.gif
How wonderful to learn about different traditions and beliefs. Why can't people be more opened minded and embrace each others differences and be happy to share in another persons joy of their traditions. There are several religions and ethnic groups who have holidays at this time of year So for the ones I know... Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah! and Happy Kwanzaa!

[SIZE=12pt]And may the peace of the season be with us all
default_wub.png
[/SIZE]

Joy

Latest posts

Back