It's been a tough day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel

Reaction score
Today was my first experience with putting a horse down. It wasn't easy and I don't imagine it gets any easier the more times you have to do it. He was 28 and wouldn't have made it through another winter up here. Last winter was hard enough and we nursed him through it the whole way. We owned him since he was 15, I showed him for a few years and then he became my Mom's horse. He was the best trail horse anyone could ask for! Mom took it a little harder than me but she's doing pretty good. Without him we only have one QH left now and of course my minis. The poor girl left is probably still hollering for him to come back. Well thanks for listening. Thanks for letting me get that out. I feel better already and he's in a better place now. RIP baby.

Photos from 1995 and 1996:

Sunny1.jpg

Sunny2.jpg

Wasn't he the most beautiful golden color??
default_wub.png
:

Rachel, so sorry to hear about your horse, prayers going out to you and your family, we thought we were going to have to put ours down Monday put he is doing better, thought he had a broken leg but is badly bruised.

bless your heart, he had a long and happy life because you cared so well for him. i was faced with this decision a couple of years ago, my old QH mare was 37 and another winter would have been so hard on her. i like to think she is "up there" frolicking in green pastures and awaiting my arrival. i hope somebody is giving her lots of marshmallows.

your boy was so stunning! tell your mom to hang in there, it gets better as time goes by. and tell her my old Chips surely welcomed him with open arms. i'm so sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss - I've been in your shoes 3 times now and nope, it doesn't get any easier. But as my vet reminds me, it is a nice favor that we can do for them that we can't do for our human loved ones that are suffering.

So sorry for your loss, been there done that....and facing another one before too much longer. It's never easy, but when it's their time it is the right and compassionate thing to do.

Jan

He was a beautiful boy. I can completely relate to what you're feeling. I had to make that decision on my big boy this past Feb. He was only 17. I had hoped to have him live a long life with me but it didn't happen. It does hurt and no it doesn't get any easier the next time. It always hurts. The pain does ease up eventually but there is always a little hole left in your heart.

What a beautiful boy. I love palominos so much
default_wub.png
: . Letting him go in the gentle loving way you did takes great courage and love. I'm very sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry, Rachel. This summer, I had to have my first horse, an arab x qh gelding, put down as well. He was in his late 20's or older per the vet. I'd gotten him in 1994. It's not easy, I know. Your boy was a beautiful horse.

Oh he was beautiful, reminds me soo much of mine. I am sorry for your loss, Thats one of the hardest things to do and go threw.

I am sorry for your loss. He was beautiful! As said, been there, done that, and will do it again more times than I am will to count! Bless your heart, the first to me is the hardest because you don't know what to really expect to happen. It does not get any easier...Remember the good times!!!!

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and kind words. We are all feeling much better today, except maybe the mare he left behind. She was still looking for him this morning. She had been his "eyes and ears" for the past couple years. I hope she settles down soon. It was really the best thing we could do for the old guy. It was just hard to watch
default_sad.png
Lots of memories to cherish though...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back