It's a Boy!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windhaven

Reaction score
Well we finally had our first foal yesterday at 4:30 pm. Maiden mare, but was a text book delivery (just a little tight), colt got up and nursed with in 1/2 hour.

Now I have had many babies in the past but none last year (2007), so I feel a little rusty.

The colt has good appetite but seems very lethargic still. I know some foals are a little slow in getting started, but I don't remember how long before they start motoring around.

I do remember some foals are also a little slow after their tetanus shot but how long?

Now the mare did not get a bag until after she foaled. I almost possitive it was full of colostrum because it was very sticky. Her milk has also come in.

It has been a long time since I have had one do this and I am just looking for some ideas from people who have had this problem.

By the way he was checked by the vet when born and I have a call into them right now. I know how quickly babies can go down hill because I have had some experience with that and don't usually like to wait to long. It is just the vets around here are not use to working with minis.

Any ideas would be helpfully.

Thank you.

default_aktion033.gif
congrats,

love to see him.
default_wub.png

Congratulations on your colt!! Sounds like you're staying on top of things with the vet. Just keep an eye on him and listen to your gut!! If something tells you it's not right it usually isn't.

Marcy I've been watching your website FOREVER for your new stallion.............................................

I've seen Marcys horses in person, when she lived in Michigan and they were AWESOME!

Her husband takes a MEAN horse picture TOO!

Hope your doing well.

Congratulations, Marcy! I hope he is doing well and you will share pictures of him soon
default_yes.gif

Hello Everybody

Well the colt is just a little better. I have been racking my brain all day on this. The vets said to just watch him. He is eating good but just doesn't seem to have any energy yet. I do remember that I did have a couple of foals that were very slow to get started from the tetanus shot. It just seemed to throw them off just a little, so I am thinking this is what is going on with him. Has anyone else noticed this when they give a tetanus shot to their foals?

He is such a sweetheart too.
default_wub.png
Loves attention and follows me when I am leading mom around for exercise.

I did get some pictures, they are not the best, but here are some I hope. I have never put pictures on forum board so if it doesn't come through I will add a link to his page.

IMG_4847.JPG

IMG_4872.JPG

If the pictures don't come through, you can see them here: http://www.windhavenfarm.com

Hey Whitney I just got my new stallion home. As soon as I get him clipped up I will be getting pictures of him. Thanks for the compliment too.
default_rolleyes.gif
I do try my best to get the best that I can afford.

I also told my husband what you said about his pictures. He got a chuckle out of that.
default_biggrin.png
I will admit he does take some great pictures.

I also want to congratulate everyone on their beautiful foals so far this year. There certainly are some nice ones out there.

I also want to express my condolences to everyone who has lost a little one this year. I know how heartbreaking this is. I do hope that the rest of the foaling season goes well for everyone.

Oh he's cute!
default_wub.png
Congratulations!!

Is he going potty ok? Does he need an enema?

Marcy he is a cutie. Hope he continues to do to better for you. Do you give tetanus anti-toxin? You just say tetanus in your post so thought I'd ask. My vet back in MI always had us give 2 ml of anti-toxin and 1 1/2 ml of pcn. I've never had a problem, nor anyone I know of.

Latest posts

Back