Itchy great dane , suggestions needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
Checked... no fleas. Bathing doesn't help. Could this be dietary, like an allergy? Rumble was on Eagle Power pack large/giant breed.

He is in good health, no raw areas.

Never has much of an appetite, eats only to live but never gets excited about food.

I switched to Nutro Lamb and rice wondering if its a beef allergy(my sister's dog had a beef allergy. )Helped a little bit maybe. I just bought a bag of Hills Science diet Sensitive Skin and I hope it helps. I also now add Berewers yeast tablets to his food, as well as an egg 4 times a week.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Robin

I don't know if this will help, but when the veterinarian was here Monday doing teeth on the horses, I mentioned the G.P. puppy was scratching constantly. I am using DE for fleas etc. on him, so know he doesn't have bugs. She recommended that I just try giving him some fish oil. I have a chi that scratches all the time and I am going to try it on her too. She didn't say how much to give, so I guess it is something that can't hurt them. She said just give them the regular stuff you can buy at Wal-Mart or any drug store.

My daughter has a Rhodesian Ridgeback that has gotten so bad with the itching, she has had to give her Benadryl, and when she switched feeds, it helped her a lot. Good luck with your dog, whatever you try.

Could be dietary... could be enviromental.. could be a mixture of things.

In regards to allergies its not always proteins that dogs can have allergies to but also to grains.

How old is your baby?

When you bathe him what do you use?

We bathe ours with Murphy's Oil Soap. Its 100% vegetable matter and doesn't strip the body of body oils but cleans them nicely and rinses out very well.

We've been using it for over 10 yrs... even on an Akita we had with great results.

In regards to the itchness is it in certain areas? Are his feet involved?

Is there any redness or rashing at all?

In regards to he egg you give him while that is good 4x a week may be a bit much.

If you wanting to help coat Wild Salmon Oil is real good.

We feed our Danes a raw diet and in their raw green tripe meal that they get 1-2x a week

the supplements they get with it are raw egg with shell, mtn high brand yogurt, raw honey, apple cider vinegar with mother, kelp, flax seed oil, extra virgin olive oil & wild salmon oil.

My son has a boxer they have noticed that he is worse in the spring, so they figured its seasonal, he is on Benadryl. He is on a good all natural food. Good Luck, Kathy

My Mick started in scratching like a mad-dog last fall. No fleas, changed food, did allergy shots etc, to no avail. Finally tried T-Gel shampoo and it works very well. However I have to bathe him weekly, not bad when he loves his bathes LOL However we are trying an rx called Atopica , it is supposed to raise the immune system to fight the allergy, hopefully getting them over it once and for all. It seems to be working, however it does make him just not feel good, for a couple hours. If you want to try this rx, read the insert, because about a good 10% of dogs can have problems, from lethargy up to seizures.

Robin does he stink?

Tracy itched like crazy forever and she stank. All the baths in the world didn't help because the problem came from within. She had some kind of auto immune problem inside her causing it. She had to stay on prednesone and penicillin forever. All her life. The minute she was off of it she stank and itched again to the point she would make herself bleed and I had to keep baby booties on her feet. This was terrible because her body odor was horrific to the point where you didn't want to pet her. It's common in large breeds.

If its dry skin too many baths are not a good thing but you can ask your vet for some medicated anti itch shampoo, I had two different kinds that I had used on my dog that helped a great deal.
default_yes.gif

no, he doesn't stink. He only is occsionally pink near the front of his neck where his tags are. Do you think he has an allergy to the metal tags? I know some people are allergic to pewter, nickel, zinc etc.

Robin

ps. Thanks all!

Latest posts

Back