It is official

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
The test results came back this morning and she is positive.

I went to the vet clinic on my lunch hour (they weren't open yet when I went to work and were closed when I got off) and she was eating hay! She is still staggering really bad and has to lean against the wall when the filly nurses to keep her from knocking her over but she was eating!!!!!

I couldn't find the vet when I first got there but that was because he was sitting in Angel's stall playing with the baby.

She also went all day today without an IV. The vet will check her again in the morning and said she could go home.

She is far from well and all he will tell me is that she has a good chance. Taking her home is wonderful but scares the he** out of me. I am so afraid that she will need something and I won't know what to do. I've had horses for nearly 50 years and I have never felt so helpless.

I did what I could to have everything so she can be comfortable. I stripped her stall and put down fresh bedding, scrubbed out her hay bin and her feed pan and in the morning I will fill her hay bin, get her feed in her stall and fill her water bucket before I go to work. My brother in law will go pick her and the baby up and take them home for me. I will go straight there after work.

I guess you all know what I will be doing Sunday. I will be watching her like a hawk!

Keep the prayers coming, they are making a lot of difference!

I also would like to thank the ones that pm'd me and gave me hope.

I certainly hope nobody else or one of their animals ever has to go through this, it is terrifying.

Thank God I have a wonderful vet.

Mary

Glad they found the problem and hope the treatment is successfull. I know it must be aggravating to have one contract the disease even after the vaccination, but just think of how bad it could have been if she hadn't been vaccinated.

Hope she will heal fully
unsure.gif
She is in my thoughts

WOW...how scary! Thank God you found out what it was, and can now work on making her well again. Was she vaccinated? If so, when, and which brand? (Just curious, as I have heard even vaccinated horses can get it.)

[SIZE=14pt]So comforting to know there is a reason for the illness and now it can be treated! [/SIZE]

Lyn

WOW how scary for you I am glad she is doing better though If it makes you feel any better my vet has had a few horses in with WN over the past couple of weeks and they all survived and are doing just great now with lots of hard work on the vet and owners part

I'm so glad to read Angel is doing better and fixing to go home.
aktion033.gif
I know you must be so relieved. I read where you did have her vaccinated for WNV. I would like to know as well as Mona which vaccine you gave her.

Although she is still not 100%, it must be somewhat comforting to know what the problem is. I pray for a full recovery for her sake, the baby's and yours. Keep us updated please.

Hi Mary,

If you can talk to your vet or if you know of an alternative/natural type vet to see your mare do it.

Roger was positive with WNV, and he put him on 2x a day Banamine to control inflammation, FastTrack probiotic, a calcium and a multi vitamin for immune support along with some drops he mixed up. He also told us free choice feed to keep him eating.

He was trotting within a few days and now three weeks later is running full out like he was never sick.

Best of luck with Angel.

Glad to hear there will be a favorable outcome. It was not to long ago that the vets had little experience with it so the outcome was not always as favorable. By the time the owner decided it was bad enough to call the vet then by the time all the other things were ruled out in many cases it was to late to help the horse.

Oh , I will double up on my prayers and healing thoughts. Now you have a firm reason and can make her well. I hope you can rest easy omce she is home with her baby.

I will try to remember to ask the vet what kind of vacine it was, it was April and May when she was vaccinated.

The reason it took so long to diagnose her was because she didn't have all of the symptoms, I guess the vaccine did work for part of it and kept her from having it full blown. If this is a mild case, I hope to never see a full blown case.

I feel a lot better about her since I have read up on WNV and she is showing so much improvement.

Some horses contract West Nile and show almost no symptoms. My first clue was that she almost completely stopped eating and was acting colicy. When she refused her favorite food (carrots), she immediately went to the vet. The first vet that saw her correctly diagnosed a virus and started her on antibiotics and banamine. Probiotics were added the next visit.

The biggest concern for the vet was that she quit drinking water and was getting dehydrated. She has had an enormous amount of IV fluids this week. She is now drinking and is eating a little bit and is showing signs of improvement. She let me know yesterday that she is really upset with me (I guess from taking her to the vet to begin with). My fear about taking her home is that she will need something and either I won't know what or I will be at work and won't know. I am off tomorrow and will spend the entire day with her though.

I am going to ask the vet about giving the rest of the horses one more shot. The other vet that I use occasionally and that is basically a big horse vet is suggesting 3 shots for all horses he is vaccinating this year. He said he saw a lot of horses last year that had WNV but had the 2 shots. He has not seen a horse with it that has had the 3 shots. This might be something for all of us to consider.

I really appreciate all of the prayers and support from everybody on here. It means a lot to me.

I am very hopeful that my beautiful girl will make a complete recovery. She is not into the safe zone yet so please continue to pray for her and her baby.

Mary

Mary --

I am happy it looks like she can come home today. That is a big milestone.

What you are saying about being scared about her coming home is something I can so relate to! Two years ago my Khaki had colic surgery when not even a full year old. I was terrified to bring her home from the hospital! But, HOME will be the best place for her when the vet gives the okay. She will feel more protected and relaxed by a long shot back home with you, her Mom!

Recently, I read about WNV and how, just as you say, some horses "get it" and show little to no symptoms. I also read that it is hardest on mares, and not as hard on geldings and stallions (generally).

Jill

Thanks for the info on the WN vaccine. Will be intersting to hear more as you learn more. So glad she is showing inprovement, and I wish you continued and stead improvement with her.

Scarey indeed. Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery.

So glad to hear she is making improvements and coming home! I know how scary it is to have someone or something you love go through something so tough! I'm still praying for your little Angel!
wub.gif

I had one mare that was tested for WNV and had been vaccinated and when they tested her she did not show any WNV titers (meaning it appeared she had never been vaccinated) and she had been vaccinated twice...the last time just 6 weeks prior..She didn't have WNV but had hypocalcemia..

Back