It is just so unfair, both happy and sad

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
I don't know if you remember my post about a neighbor down the road who purchased an older mare and a stallion. The neighbor had no knowledge of horses at all, just thought they were cute. He had a number of problems and always came to get me to help. I was only doing it for the horses.

Small previous info:

The mare is in her 20's and was so malnurished she had a huge belly. The stallions whole back end is pretty much locked up and when he takes a step with his back legs his whole body pops and shakes. Both their feet was around 5 inches in length and cracking every where. One of the mares feet were cracked so bad, she looked like she had toes. Neither are registered. Both were kept in a 10x20 area, never put out any place else and these people have 8 acres.

I tried to help, but finally recommended a vet and a farrier, neither were ever contacted.

Anyway, he comes by today to tell my how wrong I was. The mare foaled last night, on her own. I had suggested they either seperate the horses or geld the stallion. He told me he thinks the baby is a girl, nothing hanging down.
wacko.gif
Then he says, yeah she is a really cute little colt.
ohmy.gif

I asked if she was ok and his reply was, she was moving around and had her head under the mare. He asked if there was anything he needed to check for.

In the first place he isn't going to understand what I am saying and in the second place he will never do what I suggest. He will not spend the money for a vet or any other care. I did make a few suggestions and his reply on both was, aww she doesn't need that, she's fine without.

WELL THEN, STOP ASKING ME!!!!!

I told him glad all was ok and I needed to get back to work. So I started up to get hay and he goes, What? Jealous?

UHHHHHHHHH
new_shocked.gif

I told him I knew his wife and daughter really did like the hores (he just won't let them spend money to care for them) and again, I am glad the mare and baby are doing ok.

THEN, he asks me to come down and check the mare and the baby and make sure both are really ok. I gave him the vet number yet again. I told him I was not a vet and if something was wrong I was not properly trained to care for them.

THENNNNNNNNN he says, oh, you wouldn't tell me if something was wrong, you would want something wrong because you said the mare was not in good enough condition to have a foal.

I don't even know this guy, I have no idea where he comes off saying what he did.

But what is so so unfair, these horse conditions are terrible at best and somehow he gets a foal born, with no help, to a very malnurished mare,,,,when I read stories here all the time of people who have lost babies, people who fought their heart out for that baby. It just makes me sick.
no.gif

I do more than hope that this mare and baby will be fine, and for them I am happy, but still sad because of where they are. And I have done plenty to get county officers, officials involved. Especially when they bought a 15 hand high stallion and put in with both these minis. Tried to educate the mom and daughter as I do believe they honestly care. Took down some magazines, few other things, but he came unglued.

I just hate it for the wonderful people here who lose babies and I just really hate it to for what these little horses are going to have to go through.

Sorry, guess I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening.

That is a really frustrating situation. It is funny how some people can not feel for animals like others can. At the same time, he thinks he is doing the right thing. Poor family of horses...let me guess, in a couple years there will be two babies?

Situations like this are so frustrating and sad.

You poor thing having to deal with it and see it but not be able to help.

sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

Unfortunately, people like this man will not learn until something goes horribly wrong and even then they may not.
wacko.gif

I can't stand being around people like this, they make my skin crawl.

My old neighbour kept her dog in horrible conditions and on a very short chain 24/7. I walked past him every day with my dogs. I asked her, very nicely, if I could take him on the walks with me? She replied "What would he need a walk for?"
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif

At least you tried!

frusty.gif
You've done all you can do for them, people like that don't want to learn. He no doubt thinks he knows it all anyway. It will come back to bite him sooner or later, but probably at the expense of his animals.

Jan

Goodness. How fustrating for you. Seems like this man is extremly stubborn and single-minded. I know oodles of people like that who seem to always ask for help, but never take it nicely and disrespect the effort to begin with. Makes me want to better educate the general public in caring for animals and to make them understand life beyond their own little 'bubble.'

no.gif

About twenty minutes from here there are two larger ponies who have (I presume) lived their lives tied alongside the road. With the exception of the winter months these animals are out with a bucket of water. More times than not the bucket is on its side. Its useless to talk to these people because the kids enjoy the ponies. They cannot be put out on pasture because they chase the cows. There are horror stories most of us can tell about animals that never get proper care, are not appreciated, or just plain ignored or mistreated. In most cases there is little to be done because as long as the animals are fed and have some form of protection from the elements their care is adequate in the eyes of the law. There will come a point that one of the animals will get sick and go down or die and all that will be done is the dead stock truck will be called (or it will be just dragged off into the woods) and it will once again the animal will be the one that pays the price of ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you did the right thing. If something is wrong & you made the wrong call or you could not determine if anything were wrong, then things got worse, WHO is he going to blame? You, for coming to the wrong conclusion. Probably would say it was intentional also....... Then again he is most likely going to blame you if something does happen anyway. Yes frustrating to say the least!

Well, I know you must have felt like:
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
I sure would have!!! I'm so glad the mother and babe are ok for the time being, hope they stay safe. I am very troubled by the fact that there is a large stallion in with them. I pray that he is not able to get that little mare bred, because next year might not be that happy of a story.
smileypuke.gif

Carolyn, you have to live there- so, you did the right thing. Me?? I'd have to be moving around now because when he said Jealous?? I'd have unhinged and he would have got the WHOLE nine yards of exactly why I was not jealous of him!!! I admire your restraint, I could not have done it and, as i have said it has lost me friends.
smile.gif

Tell this egomaniacal stump that the effects of inbreeding are leading to these horses being pushed to a point that their little bodies shouldn't have to go.

When he asks why you think his horses are inbred...tell him you don't.

Rabb: It was not about restraint, it was about safety. I do not trust this guy, do not want to tick him off, he is through here way to often for me. I don't know him, and I do not know if he would do anything here, but just need to make sure. So walking away was my only opinion, or that is the way I feel.

Cathy: that is exactly right. I would love to help these horses, but no doubt whatever I do or say, it will be wrong and I will get the blame. Besides, he needs a real vet, not me. But I can't make him call one and I am sure there would be one huge mess envolving more than horses if something were to ever go wrong.

I have been in contact with many county and state officials. Some have been out and suggested they do certain things. But in this state the laws governing animals and their care is only about a paragraph long and these officials are following the laws.

That paragraph needs to be turned into a book or officials hands will continue to be tied. And that is where we all come in.

I find it amazing that the ones who are unable to speak for themselves, children and animals, seem at times to be the least protected.

boy...that is a bad situation. You have done your best...I admire you greatly for that. As, for that man
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif

lis

That guy gives me the creeps. You did the right thing. I would be scared to be around someone like him.

I would also feel awlful for the animals but you must always protect yourself and your own animals. You don't know what this guy might do or try.

Freida

Latest posts

Back