Is this true

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that if you breed a silver to a silver the foal will most likely be blind? i had never heard of this
I think what you are refering to is ASD which can occur in homozygous silver dapple horses.

The abbreviation �ASD� refers to Anterior Segment Dysgenesis, a colloquial term that includes an extensive set of developmental conditions that affect the anterior segment (front part) of the eye. There is a wide spectrum of conditions that may result from ASD�from a malformed eye that is blind at birth, to conditions that do not affect vision or the health of the eye. Contrary to the published report in Horse Illustrated, the Rocky Mountain Horse eye is virtually unaffected. With the exception of two blind horses from a population of 2500 Rocky Mountain Horses examined to date, vision is rarely affected and the health of the eye is virtually normal in Rocky Mountain Horses with ASD.

In 1996, Michigan State University began a clinical investigative and molecular genetic study of ASD. Aims of our research were to 1) describe the clinical findings in a large cross section of related horses, 2) to determine if heritability was a risk factor for the disease, and 3) to collect DNA from affected and normal horses for future comparisons of pedigree and DNA marker or candidate gene linkage analysis.

The most common abnormal trait that was documented was cysts that arise from the ciliary body (inside the eye). These cysts are never painful, do not limit vision, and are therefore of no consequence to the eye or the horse. A syndrome of multiple developmental eye abnormalities was seen less frequently. Again, horses born with multiple eye anomalies had normal functional vision with rare exception, were never painful, and were never �born with no eyes.�

Results of our research indicate that the trait has a semidominant mode of inheritance, meaning that if a developing embryo has one �abnormal� copy of the gene, the foal will be born with very minor anterior segment abnormalities (cysts, peripheral retinal folds). The importance of a horse being born with cysts is of no consequence to the horse. The importance of cysts in a horse is only related to production of offspring produced by mating a horse with cysts. A foal born from the breeding of a stallion and a mare that both have cysts (both carry one �abnormal� copy) has a 25% chance of inheriting two �abnormal� copies of the gene. When two �abnormal� copies are inherited, the foal will be born with multiple developmental abnormalities inside the eye. Whether born with one or two �abnormal� copies of the gene, the abnormalities are not progressive, meaning an affected horse will not develop more heritable eye abnormalities with age.

Today there are nearly 6000 Rocky Mountain Horses that are registered by the Rocky Mountain Horse Association. I have now personally examined over 1500 Rocky Mountain horses, and collectively over 2500 Rocky Mountain Horses have been examined by veterinary ophthalmologists in the United States and Canada. Approximately 5% of Rocky Mountain Horses that I have examined have two �abnormal� copies of ASD. Only a very small population of affected horses (approximately 30 horses) have problems with vision. All but two horses that I have examined have had normal functional vision. Only two horses were blind. The percentage of blind Rocky Mountain Horses in the general population of Rocky Mountain Horses is actually far less than the percentage of blind Thoroughbreds, Quarterhorses, Saddlebreds, Appaloosas, etc., in each respective population that I have examined.

The author also mentioned that a rarely seen part of the ASD trait is foals �...born with no eyes.� Anophthalmia is the medical term describing a developmental defect characterized by complete absence of the eyes. Anophthalmia has never been described as part of the ASD trait. This condition is exceedingly rare in all animal species. In fact, anophthalmia has never been reported in the horse. Certainly, anophthalmia is not one of the described anomalies of ASD in horses.1-6

ASD is not unique to the Rocky Mountain Horse�it occurs in all breeds I have examined that carry the Silver Dapple gene�most of those that have a chocolate color coat with or without dappling. This includes the Shetland Pony, Miniature breeds, Rocky Mountain, Kentucky Mountain Saddle, Mountain Pleasure, Morgan, Bashkir-Curly, Naraganssett Pacer, and Haflinger. The author�s statement that the disease is most prevalent in the Rocky Mountain Horse breed is probably not accurate. The disease is probably just as prevalent in some of the other aforementioned breeds. It has only been studied extensively in Rocky Mountain Horses because the breed Association recognized it and was proactive to determine whether the abnormality was a severe defect.

Because of exceptional popularity and financial considerations, it is virtually unheard of when a breed Association recognizes a potential trait that may alter the breed�s future�and subsequently financial worth. It is even less common when a breed Association or Registry acknowledges their breed has a potentially heritable problem decides to become proactive, publicly inviting outside investigators to study the suspected disease. A classic example of an equine breed Association that failed to recognize and address a serious (sometimes life-threatening) disease until widespread dissemination of the trait had occurred throughout the breed (HYPP), was mentioned in the previous article. I commend the Rocky Mountain Horse Association for recognizing a minor abnormality in their breed, for taking the initiative to determine its cause, and for their interest and participation in this collaborative study. In doing so, they have established guidelines that select against propagation of undesirable traits within the breed while promoting genetic diversity within the breed. The Rocky Mountain Horse Association should serve as the model against which other breed Associations and Registries that acknowledge a potentially heritable abnormality should be compared.

David T. Ramsey, DVM

Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists

Assistant Professor

References

1. Ramsey DT, Ewart SE, Render JA, Latimer CA, Cook CS, Schott HC. Anterior Segment Dysgenesis in Rocky Mountain Horses. Proc Am Coll Vet Ophthalmol 1996;27:46-48.

2. Ramsey DT, Ewart SE. Clinical and Genetic Aspects of Anterior Segment Dysgenesis in Rocky Mountain Horses. Proc Rocky Mountain Horse Association 1997.

3. Ramsey DT, Ewart SE, Render JA, Cook CS, Latimer CA. Congenital Ocular Abnormalities of Rocky Mountain Horses. Vet Ophthalmol 1999, in press.

4. Ramsey DT, Hauptman JG, Petersen-Jones, SM. Comparison of Corneal Thickness, Intraocular Pressure, and Corneal Diameter in Rocky Mountain Horses With Cornea Globosa and With Normal Corneas. Am J Vet Res 1999, in press.

5. Ewart SE, Ramsey, DT. The Horse Homolog of Congential Aniridia Conforms to Semidominant Inheritance. Genomics, 1999, in review.

6. Ramsey DT. Ocular Disorders Presumed to be Inherited in Purebred Horses. American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists Genetics Committee 1998 and/or Data from the Equine Eye Registration Foundation All Breeds Report, College of Veterinary Medicine, Purdue University, 1998.

7. Website: http://www.naturalgait.com

8. Website: http://rmhforum.com

9. Website: http://www.host2you.com

This is a reprint of an article in the Early Summer 1999 issue of Natural Gait News.

For More information on ASD

Rocky Mountain Horses

Regarding Roan to roan
This was the latest I read on it...

The allele that causes classic roan is dominant, so that heterozygotes show roaning. Until recently it was thought that roan was recessive lethal, and that homozygous roan embryos died in utero in very early pregnancy. If this was so then no adult horses would be homozygous, and therefore true-breeding for roan. A study by Hintz and VanVleck in 1979 popularized the idea of a Lethal Roan Syndrome, although many breeders didn’t - and still dont - agree.

According to research done by Dr. Ann T. Bowling at the Veterinary Genetics Laboratory of the University of California, roan is not lethal when homozygous. Her research supports the findings of earlier reports that confirmed the existence of homozygous roan stallions in Ardennais (a French breed) and Hokkaido (a Japanese breed).

From a fairly large study of roan horses in the American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA) stud book Dr. Bowling identified several stallions apparently homozygous for roan. Breeding data was supported by a molecular genetic analysis of genes very closely linked to roan.

The molecular nature of the roan gene isn’t yet known, but its position in the genome is, based on its genetic linkage to nearby genes. The stallions were found to be homozygous for the alleles of these genes that are linked to the roan allele, indicating the likelihood that they are also homozygous for the roan allele. The conclusion of their research was that there was no evidence that roan is lethal when homozygous.

To my knowledge this research wasn't published, although I would be grateful to anyone who could update me if this is wrong. I have also heard of critisism from one person who claims there are serious flaws in the research. According to her not all the horses in the study were true classic roans, which included frosty roans, rabicanos and sabinos. Also she claims that one of the AQHA stallions that was supposed to show 100% roan production did not. At this time I am not able to confirm or refute this information. If anyone knows more about either side of this story I would be pleased to hear from them. Many Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee thanks victoria, Gee how are you going ?
default_biggrin.png

Gee thanks victoria, Gee how are you going ?
default_biggrin.png
Bit tired but solidering on for now. Had one mare with sore feet so I have had to bring her inside which I hadn't planned on having any boxes occupied until after I have my section, now I have 2 as I have the broodmare and her buddy. Aw well at least I should get 5 days rest in hosptial, then I can come out and get my clippers fired up.

Not good info on both counts!

In a recently published scientific paper by a Canadian researcher it was determined that what Dr. Ramsey called ASD in Rocky Mountain Horses does not meet the scientific definition of ASD. The eye abnormalities that was been called ASD by Dr. Ramsey has been determined by the researchers that developed the Silver gene test in Sweden to be a Rocky Mountain Horse founder effect issue. The gene for these eye abnormalities is located close to the Silver gene in that breed and they are working on isolating it and developing a test. Because it is located close to the silver gene it is often, but not always, inherited with the silver gene in Rocky Mountain Horses. Also, Dr. Ramsey NEVER examined a Silver Morgan for his "research". It is also IMPOSSIBLE for him to have examined a Naraganssett Pacer as the breed has been extinct for a century.

The roan information is also not good. True roan is lethal to the embryo when the embryo is homozygous for true roan. The pregnancy is lost shortly after conception and the mare will recycle, often on time, so that it appears that she just did not take.

Frosty roan - which is what the Quarter Horses described in this article are - can be homozygous and is not lethal. FYI - the "research" by Dr. Bowling has never been published - likely due to the fact that it was discovered that her AQHA provided data (and she was using strictly AQHA registration data - not looking at each and every horse or doing any type of molecular research) were not all true roans. At least one of the subjects used to have photos of several non-roan offspring (that were registered by the breeder as roan even though they weren't) on his website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not good info on both counts!
In a recently published scientific paper by a Canadian researcher it was determined that what Dr. Ramsey called ASD in Rocky Mountain Horses does not meet the scientific definition of ASD. The eye abnormalities that was been called ASD by Dr. Ramsey has been determined by the researchers that developed the Silver gene test in Sweden to be a Rocky Mountain Horse founder effect issue. The gene for these eye abnormalities is located close to the Silver gene in that breed and they are working on isolating it and developing a test. Because it is located close to the silver gene it is often, but not always, inherited with the silver gene in Rocky Mountain Horses. Also, Dr. Ramsey NEVER examined a Silver Morgan for his "research". It is also IMPOSSIBLE for him to have examined a Naraganssett Pacer as the breed has been extinct for a century.

The roan information is also not good. True roan is lethal to the embryo when the embryo is homozygous for true roan. The pregnancy is lost shortly after conception and the mare will recycle, often on time, so that it appears that she just did not take.

Frosty roan - which is what the Quarter Horses described in this article are - can be homozygous and is not lethal. FYI - the "research" by Dr. Bowling has never been published - likely due to the fact that it was discovered that her AQHA provided data (and she was using strictly AQHA registration data - not looking at each and every horse or doing any type of molecular research) were not all true roans. At least one of the subjects used to have photos of several non-roan offspring (that were registered by the breeder as roan even though they weren't) on his website.
Well thats interesting genetics and colour can get so controversal, but oh so interesting to learn.

that if you breed a silver to a silver the foal will most likely be blind? i had never heard of this
The thing is, while ASD is often associated with silver, it's important to remember that not all silver horses have ASD. So, if you breed silver/non-ASD to silver/non-ASD you are not going to come up with a foal that has ASD and will be blind!

Thank you all for a passing on your information. I just LOVE genetics and appreciated Victoria's long descriptive reply.

Unfortunately we lost Ann Bowling, whom I had the pleasure to meet and work with briefly. Her unexpected death while she was working on a new book and while she was still analyzing data has certainly set back the genetics world.

She also had a interest in miniature horses which was wonderful for those of us breeding them. I have often wondered if she had lived what new information we would now know. She was a powerhouse and certainly left a void in the genetics world. If only she had completed her last book. We lost a lot of information with her passing.

Thank you all for a passing on your information. I just LOVE genetics and appreciated Victoria's long descriptive reply.
Unfortunately we lost Ann Bowling, whom I had the pleasure to meet and work with briefly. Her unexpected death while she was working on a new book and while she was still analyzing data has certainly set back the genetics world.

She also had a interest in miniature horses which was wonderful for those of us breeding them. I have often wondered if she had lived what new information we would now know. She was a powerhouse and certainly left a void in the genetics world. If only she had completed her last book. We lost a lot of information with her passing.
[SIZE=12pt]I too had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with Ann years ago about several genetic topics. She was really a nice person, a benefit to the horse industry and very much missed.[/SIZE]

Joy

Latest posts

Back