Is this true?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
I heard today that at some shows--AMHA I believe, but am not sure it's limited only to AMHA--people have been going into the barn at night, getting horses out of their stalls, measuring them, taking photos of the measurement and then sending those photos into the registry & saying that these horses are too tall & should lose their papers? and I'm told that some show managers have received letters from the registry warning of this practice & recommending security measures be taken to prevent this from happening?

Is this true? If so, do you think those persons are within their rights to do this? I say they go too far!

I heard something about that happening.

If MY horse were touched for any reason (other than saving it's life) I would go BALISTIC!!

I dont know if that is true or not but... I have seen as shows where they dont make the measurement the first time around so they ask for a few minutes and leave. What do they do when they leave? Some go have the horses feet trimed. Was a trim needed? I dont know not a farrier. They come back and poof the horse is now under the height limit. Now that is not an over size horse. It can be and has been for a purticular class. Didnt want to go into competition with the bigger horses. I have watched them push on the horse back to get it down ever so much. but they do it.

AND it ALLOWED

So I ask who is at fault the trainer, owner or the person measuring?

I heard today that at some shows--AMHA I believe, but am not sure it's limited only to AMHA--people have been going into the barn at night, getting horses out of their stalls, measuring them, taking photos of the measurement and then sending those photos into the registry & saying that these horses are too tall & should lose their papers? and I'm told that some show managers have received letters from the registry warning of this practice & recommending security measures be taken to prevent this from happening?
Is this true? If so, do you think those persons are within their rights to do this? I say they go too far!

If that IS true, then yes it is going too far! What's to say the photos and the measurements are accurate? Only a licensed official can document a horse's measurement for the registry. And removing a horse from their stall without the owner's permission (unless it's an emergency) is grounds for a legal suit, IMO !!!

I would hate to see that we would have to lock our horses up, but I did see some of that at Congress this past week. Some folks literally locked their stalls as they had said in the past their ponies were found wondering the aisles at night.

That is horrible, but true.

I hope this isn't true.

If your horse / pony doesn't meet the measurement required, you do have the right to walk away and trim the horses/pony's feet and come back for another measurement. States in the R Rule book.

I am with REO on this, i would be extremely upset if someone went into my horses stall and removed them for any amount of time unless it was to save their life or i asked them to, i would be very upset. My issue with people putting locks on their horses stalls at night is what if their is a fire? Your horse is locked in the stall ...what are we to do if their is a barn fire and people are running around pulling horses from the stalls and yours is locked in ...that would worry me.

Sadly, i can see people actually doing this ...goodness that is what a PROTEST is for, put your money where your mouth (or in this case ....nerve) is.

That is big time overstepping the boundary imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is going to far... Put in a protest if you know the horse is to tall.. The owners honesty needs a measure, but so does that of a person handling someone else's property without permission..

That is no better than a break and enter..

Consider this fair warning to anyone who may think of doing this...

Lord help you if you touch one of our horses for ANY reason other than an emergency or us asking you to do something.
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

It doesn't surprise me at all that some lowlife may have done this, however, it would surprise me if the office did anything with the photos - other than shake their heads in utter disgust at what losers there are walking the earth.
default_gaah.gif

If it is true then AMHA should not give it a second thought except to find out who was responsible for going into the stall & taking the picture ... THAT person or THOSE people should then LOSE all AMHA associated priviledges.... If a rule to discipline these people doing acts like this is not in place then it should be asap......... As for catching the people doing this or other things that are even worse, the likelihood of catching them is minimal. Even though a person is suspect of doing / causing harm / illness etc to someones horse you have to prove it. It's pathetic what jealousy and greed will lead a person to do.

If it is true then AMHA should not give it a second thought except to find out who was responsible for going into the stall & taking the picture ... THAT person or THOSE people should then LOSE all AMHA associated priviledges.... If a rule to discipline these people doing acts like this is not in place then it should be asap......... As for catching the people doing this or other things that are even worse, the likelihood of catching them is minimal. Even though a person is suspect of doing / causing harm / illness etc to someones horse you have to prove it. It's pathetic what jealousy and greed will lead a person to do.
Here, here!

Wow--this is a scary situation.
default_sad.png

These rumors going around somebody pulling horses out of stalls and measuring them while taking pictures are FALSE. Why would somebody have to pull horses out of somebody else's stall to tell how tall they are, it is obvious if they are oversize or not. And these letters going around are being written by people who weren't even at the show, so how can they tesitify that it is true or not because they weren't there and are just going by what somebody else is telling them. They say they have pictures showing proof of this, well how come they didn't send those pictures showing proof in with the letters accusing the person of doing this. I would think that would be the first thing they would send in with their letter showing proof but there is no proof because it never happened. The thought of somebody accusing somebody of doing an act like this is very disturbing, it is slander.

I think we need to be careful not to be part of the telephone game. Unless there is proof of someone doing that - such as the photos in question - it could simply be someone seeking to stir the pot and create some drama where there is none.

Most venues have security that patrols... as well, many people do sleep in the barns at night even if they are not supposed to in order to keep watch. Yes - sometimes horses wander the aisles - but it is far from a common occurence... and more often than not due to someone not latching the stall door quite right...

Someone Somewhere might have done it once - and thus warnings may have been issued - but it has morphed into a "this has happened lots of times" kind of thing.

Any show management would not consider such "evidence" anyway. And they would have to alert the owners of said horse that it was messed with.

IMHO - this is likely just more angst about measuring evolving into an urban legend of sorts.

Locking stalls at night is a bad idea, IMO. If your horse needs help - where is the key?

I hesitate LOCKING stalls, unless they are temporary canvass ones........ Those can be cut through with a knife in an emergency. Metal or wooden stalls that are locked without the owner available when there's a fire or storm situation is a disaster...... I've been there!

I can't imagine ever locking my horse in a stall--I would be too afraid of fire or some other disaster and being unable to get the horse out in a hurry. I would be inclined to sleep in the stall next door, though as I sleep very soundly that might not do much good...unless I were to snore loudly & scare away any night time prowlers?
default_laugh.png

I WOULD be inclined to booby-trap the stall doors
default_biggrin.png
That could be fun.

I have reason to believe that the letters from AMHA were real, which means this must have happened once...I do hope it was only once and when nothing came of it the persons who did it will give it up & not make a habit of it. I don't believe that either registry would take any action as a result of such photos--that's not the way the protest system works and I expect the registry would tell them that if they want action to be taken then they should file a protest according to the rules.

No urban legend here. Facts are facts and the fact is more then one owner felt the need to hire their own additional security at the World show last year as well as while their after threats ect the need to hire security cameras to protect their horses. Was it soley for theats of pictures? I can not say that I can only say last year is one of the first years I can say I knew of people getting to the show and after a day of the atmosphere felt the need to hire private security measures for their own stalls and horses!

Grounds security is great however lets be honest they would have no idea who belongs to what horse or in what barn at any given time.

That is an absolutely foolish and stupid thing for anyone to do but it doesn speak to the frustration that people are feeling over the difficulties with measuring. It is ridiculous because the registry would not be able to do a thing with the photos other than to throw them out. The thing to do is to follow legal channels and protest legitimately.

Hi

I have not heard of this before, but have not been around the shows much these past couple of years.

I would certainly not want to lock my horses in their stalls for obvious safety reasons, and if someone took a horse of mine out for whatever reason other than emergency, I am assuming they would have cash in hand to purchase that horse! Heaven help any other reason.
default_no.gif

I would be royally pi**ed to find out that someone had touched one of my horses without myself being present; especially to have taken it out of the stall without my knowledge.
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

That said, I do know what greed and stupidity combined can do to competitors.
default_no.gif
A friend of mine years ago had someone break into HER barn one night and hack the mane and tail from her Champion Arabian mare. Now this ws just a few days before a big Futurity Show...and this mare was a true contender. They were thinking of pulling the mare from the show, but dcided what the heck...she was still the same horse, mane and tail aside, conformationally...and the $$ paid-up...so they went anyways. Good thing they did...as she won the Futurity anyhow...bald as a baby mouse...what a mare!!!
default_laugh.png
default_wub.png

As for locking a stall...NEVER would I consider that. But...you CAN get tamper-proof plastic zip-ties that will break easily in an emergency...yet show if someone opened your stall door.

Oh man! I would raise the roof!! You know by people doing this making others feeling they have to lock their stalls it could be hazardous in an emergency. Maybe we all need Nanny cams for the stalls. I am so shocked over this!

I've heard the rumors... I'm not sure that pictures are being sent to the registries, though. I would not expect any stock to be put into an anonymous report, and to admit that your trespassed into someone's stall and handled their horses without permission... not sure of that either. But, I've head the rumors. I can tell you, I'd feel as violated as if someone broke into my house if someone took it upon themselves to handle my horses in the dark of night without my permission for any reason other than an emergency.

Latest posts

Back