Is this true?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I can say is hearing things like this make one not want to show because for me my horses health and safety are worth more than some ribbon or title. I would definitely be sleeping with my horses. I know everyone is not like this and a majority of people are good and honest. Unfortunately it only takes one to ruin it for everyone.
default_no.gif

I would hate to see that we would have to lock our horses up, but I did see some of that at Congress this past week. Some folks literally locked their stalls as they had said in the past their ponies were found wondering the aisles at night.
That is horrible, but true.

I hope this isn't true.

If your horse / pony doesn't meet the measurement required, you do have the right to walk away and trim the horses/pony's feet and come back for another measurement. States in the R Rule book.
I would hate to see that we would have to lock our horses up, but I did see some of that at Congress this past week. Some folks literally locked their stalls as they had said in the past their ponies were found wondering the aisles at night.I don't know about all states but in NC it is against fire code to ever lock your horses in a stall. Highly suggest checking within the state that you are showing in before those measures are taken....

As for locking a stall...NEVER would I consider that. But...you CAN get tamper-proof plastic zip-ties that will break easily in an emergency...yet show if someone opened your stall door.
What a simple, but brilliant idea ! !

As for locking a stall...NEVER would I consider that. But...you CAN get tamper-proof plastic zip-ties that will break easily in an emergency...yet show if someone opened your stall door.
LOVE IT!!!
happy0064.gif
happy0064.gif
happy0064.gif

Also, if someone gets too smart, people could make loops out of paper and sign them and tape them closed over the latches. Someone might buy a bag of zips, but probably not going to try and get your handwriting down just so.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOVE IT!!!
happy0064.gif
happy0064.gif
happy0064.gif

Also, if someone gets too smart, people could make loops out of paper and sign them and tape them closed over the latches. Someone might buy a bag of zips, but probably not going to try and get your handwriting down just so.
Jill that is an excellent idea....
default_aktion033.gif

What a life
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
The show world is so competitive that people are tampering with stalls and touching other people's horses???

The "tamper proof zip ties" are replaceable by the perpetrator who could bring their own, so they could likely get away with that.

The person who mentioned putting the sticky paper tape over the door opening, inscribed with their initials, would likely work, and goes back to my banking days where the auditors would seal the cash boxes and compartments with their special tape and had a specially coloured pencil to put their initials on the tape.

Someone also mentioned just using their option to protest, which is the only proper thing to do.

Most people who have been around these little horses for a period of time get to a point where they can judge the height with their "naked eye" and if the horse looks a lot over, then a protest should do the trick.

Most people who have been around these little horses for a period of time get to a point where they can judge the height with their "naked eye" and if the horse looks a lot over, then a protest should do the trick.
That may / may not be the case. I just know personally, when I first got some horses with very high set necks (which is now what we mostly have), I felt like they were quite a bit taller than they really are. I measured, measured, measured before it really clicked that they only appeared and felt "taller" because they are so nicely upright. I bet there are others who would see it as I did when I first started handling this type of miniature.

The "tamper proof zip ties" are replaceable by the perpetrator who could bring their own, so they could likely get away with that.
The ones I am talking about are not the ordinary zip-ties, but the real honest to goodness tamper-proof ones. I got mine from the Military Police when I was travelling between the US and Canada, on my way back East...that way, the Customs Officers knew that the locked cargo trailer had been checked by the Military Police, and were not apt to go in and take things apart. they have an area that has to be signed....so would do the job as Jill suggested.

I am sure that you can get some at any local Police station.

I to heard the rumor and if it is true, and the proof is there, then I think AMHA should ban all persons responsible from the registry or at least hand down some punishment and also make it public to the members of such a horrific act. To think that if someone did violate anothers personal property at a show is ludicrous. This would be a case of trespassing no doubt. I would hate to think that someone could feel so unworthy of their own show horses that they would have to take such drastic measures to disqualify their competition! Spreading Rumors, Gossiping, dropping hints to judges about other members, how could someone drop so low! Take it up IN the show ring. Such Worms in this Buisness
default_no.gif

I have never found a zip tie easy to break/open. Unless of course you have it together backwards, it would have to be cut. In that case another could be put back on fairly easily I would assume. But such hard work for someone to do, to measure a horse that measures differently each time you measure them? Depending on who measures them?

Hard to believe this is actually being done, but so many are suggesting it is being done? SAD!

Jill,

You are correct about heights and upright necks. It is hard to determine just by looking at a horse if it is too tall or not and also how refined they are. How the horse carries himself, the location of mane hair (or soon to be withers) will make a difference in how they measure. And of course how the horse stands when being measured.

Jill,
You are correct about heights and upright necks. It is hard to determine just by looking at a horse if it is too tall or not and also how refined they are. How the horse carries himself, the location of mane hair (or soon to be withers) will make a difference in how they measure. And of course how the horse stands when being measured.
Thanks
default_smile.png
I knew some people would know exactly what I mean
default_yes.gif

I have heard alot of indignation about the possibility of someone removing horses from stalls, and that would make me mad too. But no-one has really answered the question about whether it is a fact. Lets not just start more rumors here! I have been to the World show the last 2 years and never heard such a thing. Many have their own security, for a lot a reasons. There is more then horses to steal there! I know of horses that were challenged in measurement and poof, were removed from the showgrounds to avoid that. Those are facts. If someone leaves and comes back to re-measure, it could be a hoof trim, or simply lunging the animal which sometimes helps them not to stand the same way. And obviously, the measurers need to be accurate and I agree with Ed Sisk on all of his comments about that.

Barb

The ones I am talking about are not the ordinary zip-ties, but the real honest to goodness tamper-proof ones. I got mine from the Military Police when I was travelling between the US and Canada, on my way back East...that way, the Customs Officers knew that the locked cargo trailer had been checked by the Military Police, and were not apt to go in and take things apart. they have an area that has to be signed....so would do the job as Jill suggested.

I am sure that you can get some at any local Police station.

Another thing that would work well with this is load seals that they sell at truck stops. They are basically very strong zip ties. The thing is that each has a seal number so you do not need to wonder at all if the seal was tampered with because they cannot replace it with a seal of the same number, yet they are easy to break if there is an emergency. I have used them on dog crates when I had to leave my crating area for long periods of time at dog shows. I know of someone who had a jealous competitor actually put a castrating band on her champion mastiff male at a show! When I have to leave horses overnight at a show, I will use the load seals on their stalls.

What is this world comming to?

If this situations is true than I really think it has gone too far.

I too would go balistic if someone opened my horses stall in the night without there being an emergency.

Fortunately I have not been to a European show where this has happened yet (we go to each and every show).

And if I should catch someone doing this.......they won't be happy. I can tell you that much!!

We always sleep on the show ground as we have our tack shop and we never leave our horses alone in a stall.

Other European people know that we sleep at the show ground and often ask us to keep an eye on their horses during the night.

Before going to sleep we always do one last round to check on all the horses, just so we can go to bed with a good feeling.

We are always a scream away and it has happened a few times that we had to get out of our bed to fix a problem and help a horse (not our own) out of a possibly bad situation.

I do hope that measuring horses at night is one "trend" we won't pick up from the USA. (all do respect)

I know my horses are not oversize so let them measure away. However, they better not let me catch them in my stall or having any of my horses out. I know that at the may Reno shows someone that didn't even know our next stall neighbor went into their stall to pet their horse. He was a very attractive colt but, that doesn't give anyone the right to just go into someones stall to pet it or measure it. Not for any reason except medical emergency or fire.

Latest posts

Back