is this safe??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight star stables

Reaction score
my one mini seems to always want hay.. its midnight, & as you know we are fatting him up, & he is eating grain & drinking normal..

he shares a stall w/ a gelding & usally they eat 1/2 a bail a day & do fine... but lately he seems 2 always want some..

i give them 2-3 flakes in the morning, 2-3 in the afternoon, late affernoon they get grain.. & at night they get 3-4 flakes again!! they eat it all & are hunger by mornig!!

they are wormed regularly.

& are energetic, & seem very normal.

could it be the haet? (its been in the 30s to 40s celcuse.. & thats hot for them..)

is it alright 2 feed it to them if they eat it?

will it make him sick?

hes usally good bout not eating be on his healty point.. but i'm a litter worrie i'm hurting him

vet is coming.. in a few weeks
sad.gif

NO signs of colic! he's Very normal!

sad.gif
wacko.gif
frusty.gif

PLEASE HELP
no.gif

parranoid mom

Desiree
no.gif

Are you sure his pasture buddy isnt eatting it and he isnt getting enough?

well there is a chance .. but there both normal, billy(his bud) is fat & will eats lots if he can but midnight is a stud & if he thinks that hes not geting enofe he will say so.

could i try spliting them up 2 night & 2morrow & giving them both 3 flakes & see who still has em in the morning??

unsure.gif

thanks

hlep, desiree

midnight star stables said:
, late affernoon they get grain.. & at night they get 3-4 flakes again!! they eat it all & are hunger by mornig!!

sad.gif

wacko.gif

frusty.gif

PLEASE HELP 
no.gif

parranoid mom

Desiree
no.gif

424681[/snapback]

Do they get grain once a day and how much?? Do they eat grain in the same stall??
wacko.gif

they use 2 eat grain 2gether.. till mid got on his senoir stuff, so he simplys gos in another stall

midnight 2 hand fuls of pellets

1 hand full of senoir stuff

& 1 hand full of sweet feed

all 'n all not more than half a scoop,

should i increase/ decrease?

& yes dayily

unsure.gif

desiree

A senior horse, that is as thin as him should be on 2 times aday. Forget the sweet feed, and the pellets. PUt him strickly on Senior feed.

And no, I dont think your "handfuls" are enough. OUr horses all get 1 cup of grain a feeding, and that equals to about 2 of my handfulls.

Hello Miss Desiree,

midnight 2 hand fuls of pellets

1 hand full of senoir stuff

& 1 hand full of sweet feed

I have two things I would like to address here. The "handful" thing is not a good idea really. A handful does not seem adequate at all. I would like you to use measuring cups or some other way to measure out the grain.

My stallion is much smaller than yours at 31". He gets 2 cups am and pm of grain. Purina Omelene. Plus hay, plus grass too. A horse like Midnight from what I have seen would seem to me to require a lot more grain than a handful. Doesn't mean for you to go out and start pouring lots of grain to him, but increase his grain ration slowly. I would suggest that you begin with 1 cup in the am and 1 cup in the pm and after he is used to that amount for a while, I would steadily increase it until he plateaus for you where you would want him to be. Again, don't rush any increase.

The second thing I would like to say is for you to please separate him and his friend during eating.

There is a great chance that your other horse is eating most of the hay and that is why Midnight could be still hungry.

Older horses do tend to chew thier food slower than they used to, even if thier teeth have been cared for.

Hope this helps you out.
saludando.gif

what am/pm times should i start feeding?

i can't take him off sweetfeed & pellets right a way.. thats not healty.. maybe

w/ in a week..

a cup or 350ml(?i donno off hand & cuoldn't ind a mesuing cup..) does not seem like much..
wacko.gif

how much should i work him up to in the end?

thanks

i'm starting to feel better

desiree
unsure.gif

I would take a few days to change him over to senior feed.

Decrease a little bit of his regular grain and increase slowly the new grain.

As for what times, that depends on you and your schedule.

My horses are fed about 10 hours apart. They are on a am and pm schedule that works for me. A time frame that is easy for me to stick to all the time, every day of the week. That part is up to you.

My 34" inch horse also gets 2 1/2 cups am and pm by the way. I think you said Midnight was 34". And she is medium boned.

i'll look into getting that stuff too,to give him untill our show.

the only problem is right now we are Sooo poor its not funny! i have had to not give my friends & family b-day gitfs & the $ i was to use on that has gone 2 vet bills or their feet.. or sumthing
no.gif
that y i'm soo worried!

this food has 2 be ordered form the usa.. so you know thats gonna be expensive! we just bought a farm its hard 2 do/get the best qulity of anything right now
no.gif
well at leased 4 the rest of this month & a little of the next!

*sighs*

that life tho i guess
unsure.gif
it good & bad

we will live
frusty.gif
wacko.gif

rolleyes.gif
desiree

Marty said:
I would take a few days to change him over to senior feed.
Decrease a little bit of his regular grain and increase slowly the new grain.

As for what times, that depends on you and your schedule.

My horses are fed about 10 hours apart. They are on a am and pm schedule that works for me. A time frame that is easy for me to stick to all the time, every day of the week. That part is up to you. 

My 34" inch horse also gets 2 1/2 cups am and pm by the way. I think you said Midnight was 34". And she is medium boned.

424721[/snapback]

Iwill do any think to make sure thes guys are okay.. i would goa week w/ no ac, food,lights ex. $ spent on stuff & work triple stiffs.. they mean too much 4 me 2 lose one!

midignht is 35-36" & a morgan type build..

would it be ok to feed at 630-700am & 500pm? i feed at 430pm now & i'm otta the house buy 800am

hope that can help u help me
unsure.gif

this is just one of those times/ moths

desiree

OK, just an idea of feed quantities- Oh, and grazing?? If you have a farm surely grazing is the cheapest feed of all??

Anyhoo....Rabbit, senior citizen, 28" at present 110kgs (X2.2 for lbs, and NO he is not fat
smile.gif
)

2 cups Alfalfa pellets

1 cup beet pulp

2 cups rolled Barley

1 cup Maize

1 cup BOSS

1 cup wheat bran

3 cups chopped Alfalfa

SOAKED!!

Split into 2 feeds.

He gets free access to good grazing but has a limited ability to actually eat it now. He also gets free access to good grass hay, but eats little.

WOW!!
new_shocked.gif

8 Cups of anything is a lot!!! no woumder her doesn't eat alot ofhay or grass!!!

so is it safer/better to stuff him w/ 2 grain feeding times?(over a long time)

he shouldn't be eating hay as his main feed w/ grain on the side ? the other way around?

Can't really go grass right no... 1 we took the whole back fence off of their paddock... so it only has 3 sides
no.gif
we want to add a gate..

2 midnight is Black, but his body(neck & belly & back) will sunbleach soo fast! its no even funny.. 2 yrs ago he was out almost every day, & near the of summer, (his main stayed black) he looked more like a bay-buckskin!!
wacko.gif
new_shocked.gif

After our one show midnight will be out side ever day, from dawn to dusk!!
yes.gif

After our that show midnight is officaly retired! but he will still be groomed & loved dayliy!

if only we weren't so low on $, i'd order all those feeds... which ones are the best(2 make the minis fit, healty, look/feel good, ADD weight
rolleyes.gif
)?

whear do you get them?

How much do they cost
sad.gif
??

thanks desiree

Any food (sweet feed, purina, oats) will put weight on a horse in the correct quantities. A pro trainer friend of mine feeds oats, a supplement (like Red Cell) and cubes). No other expensive grains. Check with your vet - this should be able to be answered with a phone call, and ask them if you feed only oats or sweet feed, how much should you give. Another option is to go online to the Purina website, they have a feed calculator.

I agree that Midnight should be fed separately, both hay and grain. He may be a "nibbler" -- he grabs and bite and then goes off to see what else is going on, or just a slow eater! So the gelding may be getting the lion's share. How is the gelding's weight? If he's in good to heavy weight, that's the answer - he's eating better than Midnight.

There's also no rule about feeding just twice a day. If you can manage, you could feed him three times, morning, after work, and just before bedtime. This can help put weight on with less chance of colic.

One last thing - don't be worried about them "always being hungry". Horses will eat themselves to death if given a chance. My mare who looks like she's 24 months pregnant is always sniffing around the feed door with a Poor Pitiful starving Me look!! Get a good feed ratio figured out, and stick to it, no matter how they beg!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no reason at this point to limit Midnight's hay. Horses are meant to eat 24/7, and hay is a subsitute for grass. He DEFINITELY needs more to eat. We have a 33" 30 year old gelding that regularly eats 3-4 cups of grain twice a day. If he would eat more, I'd give it to him as he is still too thin. We also let him eat as much alfalfa hay as he wants, in an effort to put more weight on him. I'm not saying Midnight needs free choice alfalfa, as he may put on the necessary weight just from the increase in grain. But our gelding gets free choice Bermuda hay and alfalfa hay. He was really looking good when we put him on beet pulp, but he decided after a few weeks that he didn't want to eat it anymore.
wacko.gif
He's a very picky eater!

A good rule of thumb is this: If your horse is skinny, they need more to eat, or they need a change in diet. In Midnight's case, I think more of any kind of grain would really help him.

i'll look into getting that stuff too,to give him untill our show.

If you are low on funds right now, don't worry about going to a show. A horse show is not important when you have vet bills and things like that to consider.

I am wondering why you are ordering feed from the US. Don't you have a local feed dealer?

Can you find out what kind of horse feed if availble to you over there and post that information, and then maybe some of the people here can help you select a good type to put him on so that you are not feeding him so many different things.

[SIZE=14pt]Desiree, pardon me for being very blunt but if you cant afford to feed these horses the amounts of food that they need you have no business spending money to go to a show! Your midnight is VERY under nourished. He cant get what he needs from hay all day and a couple HANDFULS once a day of concentrates. A 35 36 inch horse needs at least a 6 cups of concentrates ( feed not hay) a day if not more. My 36 inch mares who dont have Senior issues get 6 cups twice a day of a 10% protein 10% fat feed. You know the small sauce pans that in us amounts are about a quart or quart and a half???? thats what I fill one and a half times for each mare. You are getting a big tummy and no muscle becuase all he is getting is gut fill from the hay.[/SIZE]

You can be mad at me if you want but you know I will always tell it like it is. I personally would not even take midnight NEAR a horse show the way he looks. I know you love him but he is in VERY poor condition right now.

Lyn

there is no purena feed in our area..

i will find out about all the options at my local feed stores.. & let you guys know..

do u know/ or what do you think of Tizz Wizz? that is the name of out pellet brand.. is it good.. & just regular 12(something) sweet feed

wacko.gif
hope this helps

OH mid use 2 get 1 1/2 a cup once a day... i thought that was lots.. 2 day i gave them hay at 630am & 1 cup ofgrain at 800am... i plan to feed grain again a 5...(1 cup again) is this ok??
unsure.gif
wacko.gif

thanks desiree

ps marty i like ur site!
yes.gif

[SIZE=21pt]No Desiree 1 cup is NOT enough!!!!!!! 4-5 cups twice a day is enough. Go to my site and see my horses and see how fit they are.[/SIZE]

www.landkminiatures.com

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back