Is this lacing?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
This is my weanling filly ..i just have a few color questions. I clipped her today as i had to clip several, and i found this under ...

STS Steel'N The Spotlight

A Man Of Steel granddaughter.

#1 is this Lacing? She also (before being clipped) has some lacing up her legs above her socks ..its hard to see with her clipped though.

0000000.jpg

000000.jpg

#2 is she a silver bay or silver dapple? She was clipped this morning, but here are some pre non clipped pics. I was told some silver bays can clip out silver dapple until their color comes ack in but she is pretty dappled ...

Before clipped, natural coat:

4Filly.jpg

10432SteelNthespotlite.jpg

About a month after being clipped (hair grown back in):

A107.jpg

Then after being freshly clipped this morning:

00000000.jpg

0000000000.jpg

001a5341.jpg

AllycakesClippedaug015.jpg

AllycakesClippedaug014.jpg

AllycakesClippedaug001.jpg

001absdf1.jpg

001Aahsf81.jpg

Thanks Yvonne
default_wub.png

Here are some more clipped photos ..i couldnt pick just one i liked, if you cannot tell
default_laugh.png

0.jpg

000000000000000000000000.jpg

00000.jpg

00.jpg

000-2.jpg

001A6453.jpg

AllycakesClippedaug006.jpg

AllycakesClippedaug008.jpg

Leeana, I now have on my "all knowing hat"
default_poke.gif
Ally is a SILVER BAY.

Ok, now my hat is off for the lacing...I'm not sure but it kinda sorta (learned that down here) looks that way.
default_laugh.png

She does look like Rumour doesn't she.
default_wub.png

She definitely has lacing on her back.......... but I would call her a silver dapple.

She is definitely silver bay and sure does look like lacing..She is very pretty...

First, forget the term "silver dapple"

your question is, is she silver black or silver bay. And the answer is silver bay.

ANY shade of silver can have OR not have dapples.

Looks like lacing.... but silvers have such cool markings that it's possible it's just an effect of the silver. So I don't know for sure with that ;)

She's a pretty girl
default_smile.png

Jessi

My silver bay filly clipped out that exact color down to the heavy dapples and in less than a week she turned a rich brown again
default_wub.png
So my vote is silver bay. Pretty girl
default_wub.png

I agree, this filly is a silver bay. I have had plenty of gorgeous boys from one of my mares this color. I don't think the marks are lacing either, not as I know them but only variations of the silver bay color when she is clipped.

Pretty filly by the way!

Beth

I also think silver bay. But I don't think that is lacing. I think it is more of a dappling pattern. Not that she is silver dapple, but you know how some colors can get dappling. I am not positive, but i thought lacing was a WHITE pattern, and the markings on your baby are definitely not white. We have a 2 year old who has lacing. The lacing seems to expand with every clipping. Here grandmother has lacing all throughout her back, and it increases every year as well.

Do any of your foals relatives have lacing?

Leeana, now that I think of it more, I think Ido remember the term "reverse dappling" being used when describing those types of markings??

Thanks everyone, i am no color expert at all so thank you so much.

Matt, the "lacing" (just calling it that) is actually white ...not gray like it looks there, these were after she was clipped and a good roll in the drylot. The marks "lacing" (if that is what it is) is white, i think that is what you ment or i took your words in the wrong way.

Here is a more clear better side photo. Okay so she is a silver bay..that is what i thought. Thanks for all the PMs too.

Aalls1.jpg

Leeana,

That looks like lacing to me too.

I've had two here with those neat patterns.

The first one,,a bay dun, the lacing progresses a little more

every year...

The second is Semi, and hers, (not really lacing, I don't think)

starts this in August, then her back and face turn jet black... really cool.

This picture, the first year it appeared (yearling) Ballerina,

Can't find the picture.. but it progressed all the way down her back and got

more defined.

Ballerina2.jpg

Semi's pattern has no white. I think Semi is a sooty bay?

By the end of August, her back is jet black.

Semisback.jpg

Latest posts

Back