Is this Lacing?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNSnowMini

Reaction score
I've had this mare for a couple years now, shes always had some white marks on her back. I thought it was fungus or rain rot, but the previous owners we got her from know horses and I just couldnt imagine her getting rain rot and fungus there and none of my horses Ive ever had has had or have rain rot. I didnt really look into it much until I saw a picture of a horse with the marking "lacing" so i looked it up and its exactly what she has.. but im still not sure. The mare is 14 right now. Hope to hear from you all soon!

3104.JPG

3102.JPG

I agree. Lacing. It's genetic, but there is still a lot unknown about it. One theory is that it's related to the Sabino gene.

According to D.Phillip Sponendberg it is lacing, which occurs in some families as a consistent trait but develops at relatively mature ages.

I think so, too
default_yes.gif

Good to know! My silver dapple dude has some near his withers. Does lacing affect the showability of a horse at all? Do judges like it, hate, not care?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a mare that is almost the exact same color (but a pinto) as your mare (body as well as mane and tail) and her lacing looks very similar as well.

HPIM1802.jpg

I honestly do not remember her having this when I bought her in the fall of last year (and she has not had "rain rot", etc.). She turned 15 this summer.

According to D. Phillip Sponendberg it is lacing, which occurs in some families as a consistent trait but develops at relatively mature ages.
If this is the case, and I wouldn't doubt it, it would be interesting to know if our mares are related. Maybe we can compare notes!

Does lacing affect the showability of a horse at all? Do judges like it, hate, not care?
I would be interested to hear more about this as well. After having shown various breeds of horses over the years, I do believe that some judges do not like to see certain colors, patterns, markings, etc. I, myself, truly do believe the old adage, "no good horse is a bad color", but I also cannot deny that I do prefer certain colors/patterns/markings over others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lacing! Love it!

The first time I saw it was a beautiful black mare with extensive lacing. Very striking.

Our 2YO smokey black gelding developed it this year. It's beautiful! On him, it's golden.

My mare has lacing and without this post I would've probably never figured out what it was. Love this forum I've learned so much already.

We've had lacing begin showing itself in the horse's first year, but the markings increase as they mature.

I have a stallion black in color, out of Cloverdowns Ranger Blue, Damm was a pally and he was born with them only a few to start so in 7 years it has reached 1/4 way down his back from his shoulder, I hope to live long enough to see it go all the way back.

But he is black as black can be with just the lacing , I also have amare now she is 10 or 12 she just got it last year, no relative so there is no connection there, all the reading I have done they still have not figured out where it comes from as most have no appy in there backround.

If I ever get my other computer back I iwll post a pic or if I get out ther eon a cool day I will take one and post it.

I have a Missouri Foxtrotter mare who is black, bald face with socks and lacing on her back. It's awesome!!! Love lacing.

This is Lacy. I know an original name huh. She came from the kill pen. 14 hands and a little timid. I had never heard of lacing eather. I just fell in love with her. She seems to be getting more lacing up by her mane. Thanks for letting me join.

Attachments

• 20220819_200537.jpg
    20220819_200537.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back