Is this grain old??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyjoy85

Reaction score
Update: I just talked to Purina and they said it was made Jan 2022 and to take it back to the store. The date code is on the bottom seam strip and the first two numbers are the year and next 3 are the day of the year (Julian calendar). Our code was 22013. She said let her know if there are any refund issues from the store. Most stores sell it within 6 months and a couple can sell it up to 9 months, but 12 months is too long. Nutritionally it may not be up to par at this point.

I just got 4 bags of purina mini horse and pony grain but I think it's old. The store had a buy 3 get 1 free deal on purina feeds 😃. It is the yellow bag instead of the "new" white and pink bag. The laser print code looks like it says 10-17-20. Is this the date code for when it was bagged or is that somewhere else? I put a picture of it and also the pink bag we are just finishing.
I opened 3 of the 4 bags but haven't dumped them or fed them. They just looked "off". The picture with 2 piles--the left side is from white and pink bag we are just finishing. The pile on the right is from the bags we just got in the yellow bags. Am I overthinking this, lol? Is it okay still or should I return it and make sure to get the pink and white bags?

Attachments

• 20230122_144438.jpg
    20230122_144438.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230122_170202.jpg
    20230122_170202.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230122_144614.jpg
    20230122_144614.jpg
    776.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Date codes on the bag itself are usually the date the bag was printed. Dates stamped on the tear off strip either top or bottom of bag are usually product manufacture date codes.

Just posted an update in the original post. Purina recommended taking it back to the store since it was made a little over a year ago. The date code is on the bottom seam strip. 🙂 The formulation also changed when the packaging changed as they added their outlast product to it.

I've read your update but it's also worth noting that colour variation can be expected as ingredients shift slightly due to availability. Like pet foods, they don't have to advertise when they change formulas.
I'm trying some Purina feeds for the first time with my stallion. The dog-groomer part of me still cringes a little and is guarded knowing the "quality" the company puts into their dog and cat foods... However, the reputation the horse feeds has is quite good. So we'll see!

I've read your update but it's also worth noting that colour variation can be expected as ingredients shift slightly due to availability. Like pet foods, they don't have to advertise when they change formulas.
I'm trying some Purina feeds for the first time with my stallion. The dog-groomer part of me still cringes a little and is guarded knowing the "quality" the company puts into their dog and cat foods... However, the reputation the horse feeds has is quite good. So we'll see!
Purina Equine and Purina pet foods have been separate companies for decades. Purina pet foods are a Nestle company, Purina equine (livestock) is a Land 'O Lakes company.
Generally speaking, Purina equine feeds are pretty good quality; but like most brands, they do have premium lines and economy lines.

Back