Is this filly a bay or a bay dun or a ????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathy_H

Reaction score
cbfillyoneweb.jpg

Is this filly a bay or a bay dun & if she is what kind of dun is she? I think I see faint zebra markings on inside of front legs. One website description of a zebra dun with countershading over dorsal area is a coyote dun. The dam is a silver bay & sire is a sooty buckskin. Thanks!............................................... Edited to add that I posted two more pictures below the first three comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
In that picture, she pretty much looks bay.

You have to have a dun parent to get dun, but the sooty buckskin could have both cream and dun genes.

If she does have dun, then I would just call her bay dun or dun.

She looks like a very pretty bay..........She has wonderful classic counter-shading down her back. The zebra striping on her legs are considered "primitive markings". Her tail seems to show that she is carrying the silver gene, but not knowing how old she is, it may also be left-over baby tail, because I don't see any silver in her mane. (Just my take.)

Even from the angle you shot her from, I like her a lot, btw. You should get down closer to the ground and take some more photos of her and just start snapping while she trots. I bet you'll get some great movement photos.

She was born May 6th. Here's a couple more angles.. Thanks again & thanks for the complements!!!

cbfillyfridaytwojuly.jpg

cbfillypasturefourweb.jpg

Do either parent have dun factor?

To me, she "looks" dun because she's got such a distinct dorsal, I see the shoulder shading, and you see the stripes behind her knees.

She is just beautiful. I love her and her color is to die for... That beautiful shade of bay, four whites, the apparent dun (visually so if not genetically so)...

LOVE HER
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

I would say bay with great counter shading. She would have to have a parent that is a dun to be a dun herself. My filly was born a classic bay with a dorsal and shoulder barring. No leg stripes, but had the dark spot on top of her butt like yours. When we clipped our girl we found her to be a bay roan, and she still has her dorsal stripe but nothing else. She was born April 6th, so a month before your little girl.

My little one is out of a pure black stallion and a red and white pinto roan. So when she roaned we knew where it came from but since neither parent is a dun she couldn't be. Your little one is gorgeous though, she has beautiful motion!

The dorsal and counter shading is coming from the smutty/sooty gene that she inherited. It gives horses a face mask at the top part of their faces (opposite to dun), shoulder barring, neck patches and countershading dorsals. This pics a couple of years old but this is my bay with sooty...it's my FAVORITE modifier

mb06.jpg

O1-1.jpg

d2.jpg

Latest posts

Back