Is This Big Enough...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minicrazy22393

Reaction score
I know a lot of you have heard about my recent topics about what to get a mini. I really want one. They are excellent pets (I take care of my friend's mini) and they are a bundle of joy. I have wanted one for about 3 or 4 years. I love them to death and they are just so wonderful. I have been studying them for a while and I would greatly appreciate to have one. I have been on this site and you guys have taught me SO much. I love that I can come here and many people help me and give such great advice. So, I need your advice one more time, please.

I live in a small town in NW Ohio. There are 800 people (I was surprised it was only that many!) and my uncle is on the town board (at least I think he still is). I get great grades in school, I am very well-behaved and I am not spoiled. Believe me, my mom bought me a $300 camera and I am still paying it off by working.

I have been wanting to make this post for a while now and I finally decided to. I was just out in my yard and took some pictures of where I would keep a mini. I understand that they need room. There is a place on SR 12 where a mini has about 20 square feet to roam. Here are some pictures of my yard and would they be big enough for a mini.
100_1145.jpg
This is where I thought about keeping the mini. It is the only place I have. It measures 6' x 7' (yes, I measured) and I thought that would be big enough.

100_1146.jpg
We have a double door on there, so I could open the top one, so the mini could see out, and they do latch.

100_1147.jpg
This is the left side of the "barn" and it has one window.

100_1148.jpg
That is the middle of the "barn".

100_1149.jpg
That is the right side of the "barn". It also has one window.

100_1150.jpg
That is looking out of the "barn".

100_1151.jpg
This is what the roof looks like in the "barn". It is very durable. The spots you see is dirt on the outside.

100_1152.jpg
That is where the mini would roam around. I would make it as big as possible.

100_1153.jpg
Another picture of where it would roam.

I know I have a lot of cleaning to do in it. I am getting a job soon. Currently, I work for my mom and file. I get $10 per hour for filing. At the end of 8th grade, you can get a job in the migrant program and it pays $8 an hour! I think that is great money. Right now I am saving up. I have had time to figure out how much money it would be. I also figured emergency vet bills and everything. I would risk all of my birthday and Christmas presents for this. I am saving my birthday and Christmas money too. I really hope to achieve this. I really love minis and I am talking to my parents about it.

Thanks for reading all of this and please respond.

[SIZE=14pt]Lauren, Im glad you are thinking this all thru BEFORE getting your horse. I dont see a problem for one little mini to live in that stall with a yard but he will need LOTS of your attention.[/SIZE]

As for the 10 dollars an hour, you are making a dollar more than my daughter who is an assistant administrator for a day care center with an associate degree!

Thats outstanding pay! Just keep learning and reading while you save and see how things do fall into place.

Lyn

Thanks for your reply. I know the mini needs plenty of attention and I am willing to give. I am off to earn some money now...

I am still going to check with my uncle. We don't have a well, we use city water. I also have a place to store feed and hay.

that grass area may not be grass for long with a mini on it munching away - plus you have to figure out what to do with the poop,not to mention the flies it will attract then the windows in the shed - you will have to put up some strong wire on them so the mini does not break them.

I know in my town they do not allow horses but I did not worry because I live out of town and when I had 1 mini - he took no time at all turning my grass area into a muck area. Now I have 1 stallion - 1 gelding - 1 mare with her 2 week old filly. And had to fence more of my acreas for them - 2 in one and 2 in another.They take turns on the grass and at the rate they are going eating it - well lets say their time is shorter eating grass and more on hay.

I think your shed would be plenty big for a mini, I would do something about the concrete pad in the front, don't know what, but I'd do something. I think someone else said something about covering the window w/wire - inside and out, that would be a must. Other things to think about - Trampoline and picnic table - what to do with those? Any plants or flowers - I'd take them out. Anything in your yard that the mini could get into or hurt himself you must take out. Minis are very inquisitive and will get into things sometimes. Your grass WILL be gone, so you better make sure your parents are OK with that. When Lyn said about the attention - I think she probably meant that horses are herd animals and do not like to be left alone, they can be though, but it's going to require you to spend lots of attention with him or her, somekind of buddy for the horse maybe??

I had to come back to this thread and amend it, I love your enthusiazm, but I hate to be the one to disappoint or discourage you, but really this is not the ideal place for a mini. It's not so much the size, but more the location. Not to say it can't be done, because it could and unfortunately I've seen horses in worse. Can you board? I know that's an added expense, but really it's probably going to be your only option as I highly doubt your zoning laws are going to allow it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK- Mrs Unpopular here
smile.gif
I do not think either the cute little barn, at 6 X 7 , is big enough, nor do I think the area for grass/ turnout is big enough. I think you need to sit down and talk this through with your parents very carefully. It is one thing to tell non horsey parents a Mini will fit fine- it's SUMMER!! How are they going to feel when in the middle of winter and their lawn is a quagmire, you still want to turn Junior out for a run and a play?? And whilst the barn is just big enough (10 X 10 would be much better), it is NO way big enough to keep Junior in for any length of time, shut in. The door is too high for him to see over ( I know that can be fixed) and he is going to be one lonely little horse, stuck in there whilst you are at school and working to keep him. I commend you for your foresight and efforts, but you are better off seeing the problems now, than waiting till you have the horse and your Dad comes home one day, surveys the wasteland his yard has become and tells you to get rid of the horse or, worse still, keep it shut in!! The horse will also need company- you are going to be at school or working, what company will he have?? I am a purist on this, I really do believe horses need other horses- I know some on here will disagree but I have no desire or need to force any of my horses to be my friend. If they decide to be, I am happy. If they want to be horses- well, the option is theirs. Your horse will have NO option and, he might NOT like you!!!! If he were at a Barn where he had other horses to hang with this would not be a huge problem, he would just be a horse and they are usually very cooperative. If he is a place where he has to interact with you, you will have problems. Horses are not like dogs, they do not come preprogrammed to love you, as dogs do, nor do thay come preprogrammed to respond and obey, as do dogs. So, I do not think this set up will work, not at all. I think it would be GREAT as a weekend thing, when you take him back to the Barn Sunday night and turn him out to play. I think it will be a disaster on a full term basis. Sorry
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so happy that you were honest with me, I think now that I am going to wait till I move out. Thanks so much everyone!

A shed like that is plenty big enough,,, IF and that is a BIG IF you have it fenced off and use that shed for a 24/7 in and out type of enclosure, I for years used a 10 X 12 Yard Barn You have seen them used for storage of lawn equipment and such.. Well I split that into and then Had 2 Run in places for 2 Mini's to come in out of the inclement weather
aktion033.gif
. So yes that shed is big enough for ONE mini~!! Fence in a nice area of AT Least 50 X 50 so the little one can run around and exercise and things will be just fine.. The outside area if you can get it larger then the better.. 100 by 100 feet is way plenty for one or 2 mini's
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

I really think you are making the right decision. Your backyard is just not a good place for a mini, probably would be ok like Jayne said, to bring the mini on the weekends...Your mini would be terribly lonely in your backyard while you were at school and such. If you put your mini in your backyard, you and your family would have no where to have picnics and such (jump on the trampoline
biggrin.gif
). Maybe you can look into boarding...do you have any friends with horses who could help you out? Don't be sad about it...it WILL happen someday!
saludando.gif

I KNOW someday it will happen. For now, I am waiting till I am 16 to get a horse and after I get a farm, I will get minis!

Latest posts

Back