Is this a V shape

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
Ok I dont want yall to get upset with me, but I need to know yalls opinion. Is this the V shape in Sandys tummy that I am looking for or is this just late gestation shape. I am adding dates and comparative pics...

Sept. 19th

9-19-08001-1.jpg

Sept. 24th

9-24-08-1230pm015-1.jpg

Sept 30th

Copyof9-29-08-630pm014-1.jpg

She's definitely getting there! Definitely dropping!
default_smile.png

Bonny it will get even more pointed at the V part when shes close. I still say the biggest most reliable indicator a mare is going to foal soon is a hot hard udder. If you feel it and its hard like a rock and hot to the touch dont take your eyes off her!!

Still just a U but Im with Kay, hard hot bag=baby soon. Add the V and dont leave her side.

Lyn

Thanks Yall. Not quite there yet. Yall,lol, tell her to get goin'!
default_wink.png

I don't think my mare got much of a V shape going on before she foaled, just FYI
default_biggrin.png
. She ran around and ate like usual, and then when I put her in her stall for the night I saw that she kept shifting her weight from one back leg to the next. A couple of loose poos and she was down and pushing!

Such an exciting and scary time to remember. Just loved her so much was so afraid something would go wrong, but it didn't. Pretty easy birth for a maiden.

Still not signing up to do it again anytime soon, though - no room for more horsey babies!

Hey Bonny...any new vulva or udder pics today? How is Bonny anyways not much news on her lately?

A V belly isn't always completely noticeable, it too depends on the mare..

These are all photos of some of our girls on the day/night they foaled (within a few hours): (sorry not the best photos,, were taken for my reference)

DSCI0083.jpg

100_2177.jpg

3-27side.jpg

101_2471.jpg

Now out of those 4 the only one that I say screams "V belly" is the first one, just looking at her you can tell she would foal within at least the next 6-12 hours (foaled about 7 hours after that photo)..

The second mare pictured didn't have much of an udder prior to foaling and she surprised us totally.. I was on campus as it was graduation weekend, parents went out and did chores, check on the girls, no change in any of them, all ate their breakfast etc.. Then headed into to town to get gas in the car and pick up a few other things before coming down to campus to help pack up stuff and get ready for my graduation the next day (siblings were staying home that night and coming down in the morning so they could keep an eye on the mares, had a family friend going to check in on them while everyone else was down for graduation) anywho, was in town hour-hour and a half tops, came home to find our little Phoenix just born..
default_wub.png

Third mare (BAD picture, but only one I could find from that night) kept us guessing for a few weeks, course was our first time foaling her out and only her second foal so her changes etc were not quite as noticeable as those of the more experienced broodmares that I'm used to.. She never really "dropped" much, but like I said, was only her second baby so her belly muscles hadn't been stretched as much as those broodmares that have had several babies, so she kept tucked up pretty good..

The last mare is the black pinto I told you about earlier..

I love the pics yall keep them coming! See I can tell the v in some and I think well Sandy is much lower than this one... But for her I guess its not pointy enough.... And I guess I didnt post the most obvious of pics to compare to because I didnt want to 'see' what wasnt there. Its funny really because she is rounder and then lower.

9-21-08-200pm008.jpg

Copyof9-29-08-630pm014-1.jpg

And Lucky acres, your mares look pretty U not V to me! Weird !

As for Bonny I have NOTHING new to report at all. She is still about the same and I really think she will foal in January.

And of course right now I have no clue if Ginger is bred. I am not even going there till this is over! Then I will set my sights on foaling Bonny and then IF Ginger is bred her next.
default_wink.png

Ok so Sandy is acting strange tonight. I noticed that she laid down a lot today, for very short periods. Down then up with in a minute. Then tonight I was feeding her dinner and she went to lay down while eating but changed her mind. Also she isnt eating as she normally does she is eating slower and raising her head and turning her ears backwards. I am going to goout in a bit and brush her see how she is acting. Baby may be sitting on a nerve...

And BIG tummy pics from tonight!

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479...01-630pm013.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479...01-630pm015.jpg

New 2 minis, She is a cutie, I remember , she had a huge tummy too!

IMO she has dropped a lot in the last few days. Maybe not enough, but its a good sign!

Yes definately a good sign!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
I hope she doesn't have another month to go like my girl did......you will need ALOT of wine to get thru the next few weeks if that is the case, LOL!!!!
default_biggrin.png

I am still hoping for a birthday foal ( Oct 7) but it may be longer. How soon before foaling did your mare drop?

Ok so Sandy is acting strange tonight. I noticed that she laid down a lot today, for very short periods. Down then up with in a minute. Then tonight I was feeding her dinner and she went to lay down while eating but changed her mind. Also she isnt eating as she normally does she is eating slower and raising her head and turning her ears backwards. I am going to goout in a bit and brush her see how she is acting. Baby may be sitting on a nerve...And BIG tummy pics from tonight!

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479...01-630pm013.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479...01-630pm015.jpg

Ok, what you are describing with her behavior - for me, this would be a night when I'd check on her a few times throughout the night.

Ok, what you are describing with her behavior - for me, this would be a night when I'd check on her a few times throughout the night.
Ditto!! May just be a false alarm, but better safe than sorry.. Pop some popcorn, and find some caffeine, may be in for a long night!

Hey Bonny

I don't think the V is the best indicator myself. It certainly is good when used with a combination of other signs, but Katies belly stayed the same for days-week before she foaled...

I just want to say, people are looking at her udder and saying oh she has a ways to go, but that change can happen FAST!!! As in 1 day to a few hours fast!

I think she is closer than everyone else...I would be keeping a very close eye on her.

I recommend Mother Natures Test kit...it was SO accurate with my mare...Tested at 5.30pm FAST positive saying within the next 12 hours and we had a baby at 11.10. they are FANTASTIC!

Wish I could send you mine, I didnt use them all and they expire before I'll get to use them next.

GOOD LUCK

Latest posts

Back