Is this a scam?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy's_mom

Reaction score
Hey all. I posted an ad on the sale board a couple nights ago and received an inquiry today about my mare. Email subject was titled with her barn name. The wording in the email sounded off to me.

Here's what was in the email message:

Can you send me more details about your horse are sale?

Thanks,

Just one line and no mention of where this person saw the ad or anything else. The name on the email partially matched what was signed by the person inquiring. I had alot of info in the ad about this mare so I'm not sure what else this person was needing?

What do you all think about this? Scam or not?

Thanks!

Becky M.

Sounds like a scam to me. Especially the truly poor grammar and request for more 'details' when you already provided plenty of info in the ad.

If you get more info from them, proceed with great caution. Some scammers will send you a (bogus) cashiers check for more than your asking price, requesting you send back the difference - hundreds or even thousands of dollars. You'll get the check back from the bank and will be out the money. Not to mention if you actually ship your horse to them - I shudder to think about it!

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks extremely suspicious to me! I would ask them what else they would like to know?

I would give them a chance to be be sure. I decided to give a person a chance that wrote like that. Turned out they spoke only French and used a translator. I sold 3 horses to Quebec!

So not all of them are scams!

I would say be careful I have read of people who do that they put picutres and information of your horse up on a website and then sell it but don't deliver (because obviously it isn't their horse) and law enforcement comes looking to talk to you since your name is on the registration papers. I don't know how those cases have turned out but seems like it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would google their email and do a little bit of digging, but don't assume anything either way. Just as sellers get burned out with lots of questions, repeating the same info to many potential purchasers, small buyers also get burned out looking for just the right match for their herd, repeating the same questions over and over. Yes, it could be a scam, but it may not be. Do some homework.

I too have answered ads and returned phone calls that I was hesitant about, ESP. since they were initially vague. Turned out to be great homes!

Thanks everyone for the help! I'm going to do my research before I send my horse out. I will probably reply back to see what other info they are wanting. I've had some interest in my mare so I'm hopeful that I can get her sold in this down market.

Thanks!

Becky M.

Just did my homework on this email....should be a good home choice if this person is seriously interested! Thanks everyone!

I've actually just purchased some horses through the Lil Beginnings sale board recently and inquired on more. I never once said where I saw the ad, just asked about the horses for sale. I'd look up her barn name she gave you and maybe email back and ask for additional information from her but I wouldn't just dismiss it. Everyone has different styles of emailing. Also you can ask for references.

Latest posts

Back