is this a normal time frame

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
We have 2 mares starting to bag up

one is at 275 days (she has had at least 4 foals)

the other at 265 days (her second foal)

is this normal or too early for bagging to start

they have both had foals before

I did not keep track last year of when they started to bag and it was their first year foaling for us last year

I will be sure to keep track of this now but haven't up to this point

we have a maiden at 311 days who has just a couple days ago start a very little swelling and these 2 are alot further along than the maiden

Thanks for your help

Lori

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's pretty early especially the 265 day one. You might want to consider putting her at least on Regumate and SMZ's to try to slow her down. She may have placentitis which causes early udder development and late term abortions. I have a mare here that has been on Regumate since she started bagging up at 250 something days. She is at 285 days today and will stay on Regumate until she foals.

Good luck with yours....l found this year all except the first foal that we lost who was on time seem to be coming VERY early. l know my dates are correct l hand breed and so far have had my May 10 and 14 mares foal and moms and babies are fine. Since Thursday l had my other 2 mares 1 who is dripping milk all over and thrilling the cats and the other who got her milk plugs and lost them this morning both are sunk in and jello like behind and pretty stretched with huge bags lots of yawning and sloppy poop piles. Both have the same due date May 16 but they'll never see that date. The last mare left isn't due till May24 and she right now doesn't even look in foal much to my dismay but she's a long mare so baby has plenty of room to get lost in there....
default_biggrin.png

is there any problem with putting a mare on Regumate and SMZ's

if they don't have placentitis

I have no experience with this at all

I will call my vet in the am but would like input from here

with experience too

In my opinion, no. I feel it's better to be safe than sorry. You might want to discuss it with your veterinarian. There is no way to know for sure that a mare has placentitis, but early udder development is a sign. If at all possible, I want my mares to carry past 300 days, so any mare here that starts bagging up before 280 days is a cause for concern.

Some of our experienced mares never totally lose their bag. They always retain a small one.

I have a maiden Im a little concerned about. Shes 330 days and still only has about half a bag

Hello I had a mare last year that bagged up 2 months early..

She was pasture bred, but then I did breed her again 2 months later with the same stallion, so I figured she must have settled on the eariler pasture breeding.

But she ended up having her baby on the later breeding date, without incident much to my surprise.

the mare at 265 was hand bred in only 1 heat cycle and she has the largest

to try to explain maybe a tennis ball size behind her utters this would only be her 2nd foal

the mare at 275 has had at least 4 foals and she is just puffy behind her utters

they also just got their spring shots yesterday (4 -way and their 9 mo rhino only for these 2) I wished I had noticed when the vet was here but I have a call into her waiting to hear back

thanks so much for your thoughts and any more are welcome

Latest posts

Back