Is this a good deal.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1 is not enough

Reaction score
I have been looking for a pony saddle for awhile now and I found one! It is a 12 inch western saddle, comes with a saddle pad, bridle(with snaffle bit), pony hamilton halter and the girth. Oh and it has only been used a couple of times however it needs a good cleaning. Here is my question, I was only hoping to spend about $100 on a saddle but they are asking $200(can $) for everything (firm). Is this a good deal? Not sure, help!

Hi! I also have done alot of searching like you. If the saddle is of good quality and in good shape I'd say it's a good deal. Some times it's easier to just buy every thing at once. But think about this.. do you need all the stuff that comes with it? If so do an add up in your head of everything seperate and see how it works out. I only say that because at some tack auctions I go to you can get a used pony saddle for anywhere between 80.00 and 150.00 depending on the saddle.

Good luck!
biggrin.gif

Leya

My big question would be: Does it fit the horse? If it does not fit your horse, the saddle will be useless to you. Check fit.

As far as cost, it really depends on the saddle. I have seen saddles sold on eBay for $100.00 that I personally did not feel were worth .10 because they were so poorly made. And on the other hand, I've seen some go for $400.00 (these are all pony saddles by the way) that I would have given $1,000.00 for (if I had it, which I don't......) because they were extremely good saddles. They were the type you could ride in all day long, and at the end of the day neither you nor the horse would have been sore. But then, I can ride a pony saddle, so what I think about is USING them. If you are just going to give pony rides to little children, as long as the saddle fits the horse you will be OK.

Not much help, am I?
smile.gif
Sorry, it just really depends on the saddle, and what you are going to use it for.

I think the price s a bit high for a used saddle set but if it's in excellent shape and made well, it's not too far out of the ball park for $200. Edited: just noticed you said Canadian so that probably would be an OK price in the US, not much help sorry.

I heartily agree with Jacqee the fit is the most important thing. For example, I have an 8" for my 32" mini and I think it looks appropriate on him. A 12" would be on his rump and that wouldn't include the pad. How big of a pony/mini are you planning to use it on?

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your comments. The pony I want to use it on is about

40 inches. I asked the seller if I could try it out for fit first but she said no.
no.gif

So I think I am going to keep looking, it is no good to me if it does't fit!

Thanks

Karen

Latest posts

Back