Is there something missing from this cart?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susan Johnson

Reaction score
New to driving minis and looking for our first cart. Sizes are 32 and 34 and 30. I have a cart for the 30, this one is in my area but doesn't look complete? Waiting on measurements from seller also. Opinions?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1573325408420.jpg
    FB_IMG_1573325408420.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 19
  • FB_IMG_1573325404218.jpg
    FB_IMG_1573325404218.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 19
Hi! Those tires don't look like the usual ones that come with that kind of easy entry cart. Those wheels looks like something that was added on and that might affect the height of the cart and change the balance of it.
Also, I can't tell because the picture is a bit fuzzy, but does it have floor boards or a metal floor? I can't tell if the leaves I am seeing are on the ground or in the "foot basket" part of the cart. You don't want a cart with missing floorboards :).
And the back rest appears to be missing. Usually those carts have a padded backrest that is bolted onto the frame. I think you can see in the pictures a rusty place on the back where the padded backrest would be bolted on.
I think the cart will need a lot of work. If you do look at it, check the bolts and the metal over carefully for damage or weak spots.

Pretend you are the horse between the shafts and have an adult get into the cart. If you feel the weight of the cart, then it is not well balanced and likely not good for a horse. With those small tires, it might not be possible to get the shafts horizontal on the horse. New wheels for a cart are not cheap.
No backrest wouldn't keep me from buying; I never lean on mine anyway. I just use it to tie my ponied horse to.
A single cart will fit all those horses. I've used my EZ for 28" - 36" horses.
Exciting to get into driving! Keep us posted!

The single tree is 1) too wide 2) broken on one end.

The wheels are not cart tires. They will not pull as nicely as cart tires and I wouldn't expect them to hold up as we as actual cart tires.

It seems to me that if you put regular cart tires on this cart it would make it much too high for a small mini. Perhaps appearances are deceiving but to me this cart looks to be proportioned like a bigger pony or horse cart. Someone has put smaller wheels on it to make it sort of fit smaller. Measure the width of the basket. Also measure length of shafts, and width of shafts at the front/narrowest part.

Yes, the padded backrest is missing off this cart.

Thanks so much guys!! Where do I look for tires?....didn't realize they can be switched out. Not necessarily for this cart but for future reference. I'll make sure I get good measurements and my husband is pretty handy ...she is asking 300? ....worth it ?

$300 is a decent price IF the cart fits right. If you have to get into modifying too many things, then it is too much. Putting on new wheels, single tree and seat back.is one thing--my concern is the proportion of the basket. I do not see this cart body fitting a mini. For reference here is a mini cart. Look at the shape of the basket and seat support as compared to the one you posted. Yours is shaped like the horse size version. I had one of those and could not make it fit a 44" pony.

I think you should keep looking. Like Minimor says the shape of that basket is not the easy entry cart that is built for minis. I saw one first hand when I was looking at used easy entry carts. There is a cart out there for you!

Kingston Saddlery has easy entry carts for around 600 shipped, maybe less depending on the options you choose. They also sell wheels that may fit on the cart you are looking at. If you can, check them out. By the time you total up the parts for this cart, you might do better to buy new. There carts also come with two sets of shafts, one for a bit larger mini and a short set for the squirts.
I have two Kingston carts and they have been great.

I would definitely run away from that cart. $300 is way too much for something that will need as much work as that will. I agree with Minimor...from what I can see, that frame, basket and seat are from a larger cart and they stuck those strange little wheels on it and cut the shafts to make it work for a mini. As Cayuse said, Kingston has several nice options that are only a little bit more than the used cart (that will need a good bit of work and money put into it). Their model with heavy duty bike wheels is $499 with free shipping and their model with motorcycle wheels starts at $519 with free shipping. Definitely worth looking into! Frontier also has a mini easy entry with free shipping that I believe is $600. Pequea has 2 easy entry models that are $514 but I am not certain about the price of shipping. I do not know anything about the brand that was in the picture that Minimor posted, but it looked like a nice little cart for the price. Definitely caught my eye. I hope this helped on your cart choosing endeavor! There are a lot of options out there, I’m sure you’ll find something that is perfect for your needs ;)

I'm planning a blog on why choosing a well built, well maintained and well balanced cart is so important, even when just in the training stage and I'm wondering if I can use a copy of the photo you shared in my blog? I am looking for carts that are home made and/or poorly made :) This one is perfect!

After a close look at the photos, I am quite certain that this cart is for a full-sized horse and has had the wheels replaced and the shafts cut down to make it appear to be suitable for a smaller equine. I have owned BOTH sizes in the type(appear to be from the 'original' Frontier Trading Co., and still have my 2nd one in miniature size, in use for around 22-24? years now. Cutting off the pipe shafts so extensively from the front end is problematic; as can be seen, the distance between the shafts at the presumed place where they would rest in the tug loops is simply too wide to be useful. Run, don't walk, away from this 'deal'.

Latest posts

Back