Is there really such a thing?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beth G

Reaction score
I have been seeing a few ads in my area for micro minis and was wondering is there such a thing?

No such thing. I think people would list that they are selling micro minis making them more exotic or something different than your average mini, kind of the same thing when people are selling dwarfs for high $. I would avoid ads that use such a term.

No such thing. I think people would list that they are selling micro minis making them more exotic or something different than your average mini, kind of the same thing when people are selling dwarfs for high $. I would avoid ads that use such a term.

Ditto. There was a discussion on here a while back about the same thing. The connotation, in my mind, means dwarf-ish (wouldn't look twice at an ad like that for that reason and I also prefer minis 32" or over).

I had some neighbors looking at "micro minis"... they were dwarfs
default_sad.png

Liz N.

Kind of like using "teacup" to describe a dog - yorkie for example. Ain't no sech thang

Thanks everyone! I am not interested in them, I was just wondering!! I also prefer my minis on the bigger side!!
smile.gif

I will happily advertise anything maturing under 30" as a "micro" mini. It is exactly what it says it is, a very small miniature horse. No dwarf connotations in my mind.

I just think it means the smallest of the small.

"dwarfy" pops into my head, but I also just think "marketing ploy.". To me, the term also comes off as implying "really small pet" and less as a quality show horse. When good quality, really tiny minis are advertised as "competitive in the 30 and under class" that catches my eye more.

I've seen some stunning under-30" minis, but never ones marketed as "micro minis."

This term is also very popularly used with pot bellied pigs. Is this the association you are wanting to make???

Andrea

I think it's marketing ploy.

In my experience, I can not think of ONE example where I saw the term "micro" used and when I looked at the picture I didn't think Yuck. That is how it has grown to mean a negative for me. I'm assuming, since I don't know anyone personally who uses the term, that when someone does use it they a) are just uninformed themselves and don't know any better or b) they are hoping to sell to someone uninformed and therefore sell something of lesser quality for more money. For example, my mini is a "micro" therefore it must be better than one that is 31" tall. If there are ads that use the term micro and are showing pictures of under 30" minis that are well conformed and proportional, I'd love to see it. Everything I've sen has had short legs (in relation to length of back), large heads, short necks, etc. Not necessarily dwarves, but certainly very poorly conformed horses.

On the other hand, when I see the term "tiny" I don't always see yucky horses. Are some? Sure, but that's with anything. It sometimes just shows a picture of a tiny, say under 30" horse that is balanced and pleasing to the eye. No negative meaning for me there. Just my 4 cents (inflation
default_wink.png
).

Gosh when I think of under 30", I think under 28" would be micro. Anyway, it's just a word. It may offend some and not others.

I'm not offended... It's just not-so-good connotations. If you google "micro minis" you get pot bellied pigs. So, that term is kind of already taken, but some small minis do resemble pot bellied pigs I guess... ;-)

I also dont care for the term. there is someone around here selling Micro minis- they are 32 inch mares bred to a 29 inch stallion.... I guess with the "micro" pot bellied pigs being bred smaller. mini horses will go smaller also. I just hope its done responsibly and not with dwarfs....

I'm one of those who LOVES the Tiny minis. (Tony Greaves is my mentor and hero when it comes to tiny minis.
default_smile.png

But I have never started to call them micro. However I have no problem with those who do. The two sites I am familiar with that I have seen using that term for about 15 years or so are well respected farms with nice horses and they refer to their smaller ones as their micro ones.

I was sOOO excited this year to have three very small colts and yet they are not dwarfs. They are correct TINY minis. Two of them I would not be surprised to see mature 26" or under.

Anyway..... I have not ever seen the sites that are talking about dwarfs and calling them micros. I guess I am not looking in the right places.

To me it just means tiny.

Susan O.

I have used the term before as "Micro" BUT I also added that the horse offered is tiny and correct and will be on my show string if not sold. That way folks know that its not a dwarf and if Im going to show it, then it has quality conformation. I have even put in my add that some folks may hate the term Micro, but... again there is no other way to discribe my beautiful horses. My horses that I breed do most of the time mature under the 30" mark and in my eyes are micro and are not dwarfs but very nice and quality horses.

Now the filly below who I love and will keep for ever as shes my baby girl is what I consider a Micro mini. She is full grown and matured at a wopping 27.75" tall and see no dwarf in her conformation.

100_2919.jpg

qqqqqqqqqqqqqq2.jpg

100_1625.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back