Is there a simple and easy way

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Wood

Reaction score
To find out if an email from two different people are coming from the same computer? I have no clue. Not a computer person at all lol. Thanks!

Yes, there is. Every computer has its own IP address that is assigned to it. So everytime that an email is sent using the same computer then the IP address will be the same. Thus, same person or same family depending on who has access to the computer. If, you want to find out if the same person is sending you emails from two different computers than it gets a bit more tricky but not impossible.

How do you find the IP address? Is it the one that shows up in the "View Source" screen of the message.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes it is actually just in the header itself. All it is is a bunch of numbers which basically tells you the location say indiana, illinois, the server, and computer number. You can find it in the view source screen if it isnt already in your email header. Here is a website that can tell you exactly what to look for because it can get a bit hard to explain. http://aruljohn.com/info/howtofindipaddress/

THanks for the responses. It is yahoo, followed the directions, but can't find the messages/header choice. Is there anyway someone could pm me and do it for me? Is that possible?
default_rolleyes.gif

THanks for the responses. It is yahoo, followed the directions, but can't find the messages/header choice. Is there anyway someone could pm me and do it for me? Is that possible?
default_rolleyes.gif
Well on my Yahoo mail, I just open up the email in question and look at the top right hand corner of the mail. You should have a link that says STANDARD HEADER. (right above the date) Click on that and then click on FULL HEADER. The IP is there.

Carol

Last edited by a moderator:
I went into my Yahoo account and found two different emails that were sent to me from two different people but sent to me asking questions about an item that I had for sale on LB Last Chance Auction. The IP address listed as the sender of the email is the same on both of these emails. So it is not the person's computer's IP address but the IP address of the server that they sent the message through. Just thought I would let you know that it may not be the computer's IP address but the server's.

Charleys correct. And it depends on whether the computer in question has been assigned a Static IP address or a Dynamic IP address from the ISP (Internet Service Provider)

You can get the IP address from the email header and go here Network Tools to find who the ISP is.

You have to know how to read the headers since the trace route will ping through several ISP's before the email gets to you. The last one in the list is the one you want.

Once you find their IP number and verify their ISP then you can send an email to abuse@ (who ever the ISP is) and speak with someone there who will help you. They will NOT tell you who it is, where they live etc.

Finding this info. will not tell you the person or their address, all it will do is tell you their ISP as well as the region, city town their internet service comes from.

Right and if the computer is one of several thousand behind a router using NAT you will only see the address of the router as assigned by the DHCP server. The IP address has co correlation to location. Also, you may only be seeing the IP address assigned to the mail server provider.

Then again it could be spoofed and who knows. Its not as easy as on TV.

Latest posts

Back