Is there a market for fainter/ silky goats?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikaS.

Reaction score
Okay, so I like goats and I have some pygmies and a Nubian and a Fainter buck. I would like to get some more fainters and a couple of silky fainters. I have a couple of does picked out that I like. They are really sweet and DON'T jump fences. My husband is afraid we are going to overrun with goats because no one wants kids. I say, not so. Pygmies are very prevalent here, but fainters are more rare. Every time I see one for sale near here, it goes quickly. Several people even asked if my buck was for sale..when he's not.

Now I'm just a hobby farmer and I don't plan to breed willy- nilly. I think goats are pretty- like eye candy in the pasture. (I'm a bit odd, I know. )They're great on weeds. I just need something to help convince my husband that it's a good idea.
default_smile.png

We have about 30 plus goats on the farm, they belong to my DIL. She has some fainters and has never had a problem selling any of her kids...usually they are sold before they have kidded! She has a website but the link dont seem to be working (at least not for me) but you can access it by going to my site, www.meadowridgeminiatures.com and then to goats, her link is there and just click on it.

I have fainters also, though I have a very small herd, and I sold my kids with no problem. They are such fun! jennifer

I read once that every farm or ranch should always have at least "one crazy goat"..........

Well.......we have one. He's a half pygmy, half fainter and a BUCK. (eeewwww!) Someone dumped him off at our place a couple of years ago. We call him Isaac and he runs from pasture to pasture and does rude sounds to our mares.

If we were to get doe for him, what kind do you think would be best?

I have over 30 registered fainting goats - several from Nebraska. Then I made a trip this spring and picked up some in Texas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Oklahoma. I took one to Texas with me and came home with 17! I haven't tried selling to hard as am just getting started but do have 4 kids (3 doelings & 1 buckling, soon to be wethered) ready to go. I also have over 20 registered pygmys with 6 kids ready to go. I honestly am having better luck at selling my pygmys then I am the fainters. It might just depend on the area. But my pygmys don't stay around very long at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back