Is there a chance she will varnish or roan or get a few spots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Never2Mini

Reaction score
Appys are new to me. I am looking at a weanling filly to buy. She is at this time solid dark bay but breeder feels she will color out some. Her sire is Iles Apache Appy Ace. Her Dam from the pictures I have seen looks like a bay roan. I will attach couple pictures to the bottom of filly.

Click to see larger

mare1.jpg

Click to see larger. She looks lighter around her eyes.

mare2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If she is still a weanling, there is a very good chance she could lose her baby hair and show some color!! Some foals born solid, will shed out and turn into a paint. There is no for sure telling what could happen!
default_smile.png
All you can do is wait and see!

She could very well varnish. My grandmother had a solid app filly that varnished out and my gelding also is varnishing. She won't turn into a paint, that's impossible. Pinto markings are there when they are born.

Thanks Kay. She will be 6 months Nov 12th. What you told me is what the breeder also is saying. I have been told her Sire Iles Apache Appy Ace is one of the top Appy color producers. I just might have to go get her an sit back and play the wait game.
default_yes.gif

Thanks Kassierae. We were posting at the same time. I think Kay might have meant appy instead of paint.

Her sire is a few spot so your filly is definitely an appaloosa and could very well varnish. She probably won't get very many spots, but it's possible since she is a black based female (both restrict appaloosa). Otherwise, often a horse will get small spots on their rump as they varnish.

I own a snowcap son of Iles Apache Appy Ace. I feel quite confident that this filly will varnish out! I have a solid black filly by our stallion, out of an appy mare, and she is already varnishing out. Her dam is a varnish roan............and even looks like a snowcap in the winter time. But I raised her, too, and know that she is a varnish roan. Good luck with your new filly!
default_yes.gif

She could varnish out or could snowflake also... Both are usually born solid but with 'characteristics'. I bet she will color with time. I had a couple that took several years to finish roaning out. Also I have a snowflake who is several years old and she still keeps getting more spots every year.

Good luck with your filly and I bet by the time she is three she will be a 'horse of a different color' LOL

My favorite thing about appaloosa coloring is a new horse every year. My gelding gets lighter and lighter(except his blanket) every year.

Thanks everyone
default_smile.png
.... I hate to admit it but my husband is right
default_frusty.gif
I am going to wait and not get the little filly. Reason being I bought a mare off of same breeder in July and she was bred to Iles Apache Appy Ace. If she would happen to have a wild colored colt I would want to keep him a stud. Then I would not want his half sister but would want to buy a mare I could possible breed with him later on down the road.

Look at this little weaningl colt he has for sale too. drool..
default_yes.gif
Man if my mare has a foal like that I will be on cloud nine !

weanlingcoltEagle.jpg

I dont think the forum allows posting pics of other peoples horses... I think it is only for horses owned by you. ??

Latest posts

Back