Is the cart too big

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
This mare is 31". The cart has 54" shafts that we plan to change to 48". The traces were out all the way. In this picture it was the last day of 5 days at the show grounds. She had only conditioned for 6 weeks prior to the show and I forgot to take off the martingale. Yes the seat is angled down to the front and how we delt with it was DUCT TAPE. I taped Panties to the fanny, panties to the skirt and 3 nice strips of rolled duct tape on the seat of the cart. Once she sat down there was no readjusting. Any solutions for what to do to help with this cart? I can not afford to buy a new one for quite some time. I would like to make adjustments on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see the pic so I am trying it again.

horseshow.jpg

It's hard to tell--are those the shaft tips sticking out in front of her shoulders? Until you can get the shafts shortened, a set of trace extensions would be helpful. Mini harnesses simply don't come with traces long enough for 54" shafts, so trace extensions are required unless you get the harness custom made. IMO it looks better to have the horse properly placed in the shafts rather than having the shaft tips too far out in front.

The seat looks like it is very high--much further above the wheels than most of the show carts seem to be--and I think that is why the cart looks a little too big for this horse. If the seat could be lowered I think the cart would look suitable for this horse.

Yes, the shaft tips are sticking out past the shoulder. she took 2nds and 3rds anyway.

Id say that cart would suit a small B or Taller A?

Little big for her but you guys look great!
default_wink.png
default_wub.png

You asked, so I'll honestly say that yes, I'd say that cart is too big for that mare.

When I got my 38" mare, I ordered a set of 54" shafts for my Frontier for HER. It appears to me that about everything about the cart is simply too large for a 31" mare; it appears sized for a large B sized miniature.

Shortening the shafts on a show cart needs to be done from the BACK, not by cutting off the FRONT...this is not easy to do properly! If it were me, I'd consider finding someone who could use a cart for a B mini, and find myself one that fits a small A size. JMHO.

Margo

I am compleatly replaceing the shafts. They have been sent to me but I am still not well enough to replace them. I am lucky to go out once a day and see the horses. I don't know how to lower the seat though. Any suggestions?

Take it off and have it reupholstered into a wingback seat with MUCH less padding. Without seeing how the seat itself attaches to the cart I couldn't offer any guesses on how to lower the seat platform but it seems like the seat itself is way too bulky.

Leia

I will try to get pics of the seat and how it attaches today after the DR appointment. I have all winter to fix this. We won't show again until the Reno Shows again.

send me an email i can help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back