Is something about to happen?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea what to think. We just aren't given enough information to base an opinion on really. Still, its a major move and must indicate something is about to happen, I can't see them going this far just to say they don't like Iran's policies, they have already stated that in the past without closing embassies or sending Iranians home. The next days/weeks should see more details come to light.

If it doesn't happen today ( and they say that's not the reason) then it will happen during the future. Anyone not realizing that religion is the greatest threat to world peace that mankind has ever known is living in La-la land.

Last edited by a moderator:
Israel is the only friend the USA has in that part of the world. Iran has stepped up the threats to a ridiculously scary level. I hope our Nation will stand by our friend. Honestly, I don't know why we wait until the ability to do us harm (Iran) catches up with the desire, but that's just me... To me, it's no different than if you knew your neighbor planned to shoot your family. Would you wait until he had the gun loaded before you (the USA) did something?

I tend to think about it as "hate" more than pointing a finger at "religion". I know too many Muslims that do not feel this way and do not agree with the stand of their fanatic clerics and their Goverment leader. I am a catholic and I sure as heck hope that people don't lump all Catholics with the disgusting pedophilia that has happened in our Church.

This entire issue runs much deeper than we in the West can probably totally understand. Don't forget we get our information from our media that can spin things.... I am very worried about cooler heads prevailing on all sides. I worry for the world my grandchildren are inheriting. It is "hate" that will destroy this world.

While I believe in loyalty and the importance of allies, when someone (individual or country) does wrong, a true friend does not turn a blind eye, but instead discusses the problem and works with them to right the wrong. Friendship is right...blind, unquestioning loyalty is wrong.

Israel has not always acted in our best interests, nor in their own. Of course, our words and actions regarding Israel are not necessarily in their best interests, but rather our own.

Religion is the #1 cause of war on the planet....
Well said Matt.

It's been the #1 reason and will continue to be until it destroys us all.

I am a catholic and I sure as heck hope that people don't lump all Catholics with the disgusting pedophilia that has happened in our Church.

It is "hate" that will destroy this world.

"It is "hate" (being led under the guise of religion) that will destroy this world".

Of course people don't do that. No more than they would blame you for the thousands of innocents killed and tortured during the Catholic led Crusades and Spanish Inquisition. That doesn't change, despite peoples obvious lack of wanting to hear about it, that organised religion IS NOT the la,la wave your hands round in church, feel gooey "club" it's made out to be. It's very much about power, hate and corruption.

It is "hate" that will destroy this world.
Yup, it's hate and that hate is sadly religious based
default_sad.png
. It all boils down to " my imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend"

If it were non-religious books calling to kill those not of your faith all heck would rain down on them ... Do it under the name of religion and it's suddenly justified.

I just thank goodness at the fastest growing segment in America today is those who are non religious, educated (the previous 2 stastically go hand in hand) peace loving, socially conscious people...I just fear it may be too late. We're destroying ourselves and our planet....because there are people convinced they're trotting off to a better place.

Just want to say something positive about religion. I'm well educated and consider myself very religious. I have no hatred towards any group and would love to see all of us live in harmony.. I do go to church and I know many, many people who believe in God and practice their faith who feel as I do.

I agree there have been many wars fought in the name of religion going way back in time but please remember there are those of us who hold strong beliefs who work towards the good of all. Probably didn't say it correctly but that's my two cents.

Don't know what the article means as far as what is to come (going back to the original topic) but maybe they are just taking a stand and doing what they feel they need to do to make a strong statement to Iran.

Blind, unquestioning loyalty? Not a chance. But I know that Israel is our friend, and she's our ONLY friend in that part of the world. Those who pay attention know of the constant threats and escalation upon her by Iran. I think the "loyalty" we've shown Israel the past several years is disgraceful.

Also, I know we do not miss a chance to bash religion online. It's amazing how many discussions are twisted around to that objective. However, it seems to me atheists as a group have more than enough hate and intolerance to keep them from casting stones at those of faith. Sincerely, some of them sound so unhappy that they must really be a misery to themselves. We won't get rid of religion -- no more than we will erase hope and kindness -- thank you, God.

The very discussion of religion and various and sundry gods reminds me why I consider myself an agnostic rather than an atheist. Atheism is in itself a religion, a belief system (the belief that god does not exist) and all such are invented by humankind. Spirituality is another thing entirely, the good that is attributed to religion more often comes from individuals deeply in touch with their spiritual side. My spiritual beliefs run to pantheism (nature is supreme), for which no wars have been fought.

Susanne, I actually think the definitions of being agnostic and being pantheistic would keep a person from being both at the same time... but your post jogged my memory and now I'm downloading a couple Agnostic Front songs to my iPhone. I haven't had that on my stereo in 25 years. I've been working on enhancing my playlist
default_biggrin.png

I'm not religious. I do believe in something bigger than us. I believe that if there is a "God", that he/she/it would not care at all to be worshipped. It's very simple; treat others the way you'd like to be treated. Honour yourself and others. Try to make a positive difference in the world. That should guarantee you a place in "heaven", not sitting in a man-made building every Sunday and giving money to some man-made institution....

The very discussion of religion and various and sundry gods reminds me why I consider myself an agnostic rather than an atheist. Atheism is in itself a religion, a belief system (the belief that god does not exist) and all such are invented by humankind. Spirituality is another thing entirely, the good that is attributed to religion more often comes from individuals deeply in touch with their spiritual side. My spiritual beliefs run to pantheism (nature is supreme), for which no wars have been fought.
I think this is the first time I've ever disagreed with something you've said...lol... Atheism is NOT a religion. Atheism just means "without god" everyone is a atheist when it comes to 99% of humankinds gods. Christians don't believe in Thor or hanuman, Muslims don't believe in Apollo, I actually not an atheist myself...because IMO you can't be"without something" that doesn't exist...thats like being an Aunicorn or Afairey or Asanta lol. "atheists" today are just those who think the gods floating round today's world are as make believe as all the others. But I am with you with worshipping the earth....THAT'S the real source of our survival
default_smile.png
andli,story said...no wars have been thought over it (except whale wars)
default_smile.png

As is so often the case, the definition and the practice of atheism are two entirely different things. The word atheism, as you noted, means "without god." In practice, Atheism is the rejection of god. As you also noted, how can you object to something that does not exist? Perhaps our definitions of religion differ, but Atheism (with a capital A) is most definitely a belief system that shares rampant contradiction with most religions.

In practice, I see agnosticism as living without god, a life where the existence or nonexistence of god bears no importance.

I completely agree with Matt with the importance of making a positive difference in the world, and letting your actions speak rather than using the cloak of organized religion to show who you are.

Jill, there is certainly a contradiction in agnostic pantheism, but the part of agnosticism that resonates with me is accepting doubt and being comfortable with not knowing all of life's answers.

Please note that I said my beliefs "run toward" pantheism. I did not say I am a Pantheist. My life and my beliefs do not fit into any "ism" or any capitalized school of thought.

It is human nature to seek easy answers. I reject that. I don't need answers to be happy with or unafraid of life and death. I would be so bored if the answers to life's great mysteries were spelled out clearly. Give me answers and I'll give you new questions. (And almost all of them will be asked at least partially in jest.)

Latest posts

Back