Is she pregnant??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voodoo

Reaction score
I recently bought this mare who is NOT supposed to be bred. I am riding her and starting to work her as another rodeo horse so I hope she isn't in foal. However, her belly looks to be more than just fat. She did show a few signs of being in season and had all the geldings interested the other day, but I'm still not sure that belly is all fat. What do you all think? Thanks for the opinions.

BoogieL.jpg

Boogieleft.jpg

I guess to me, she doesn't look like she has a belly at all, she looks in good shape, certainly not bred, she's a nice looking mare, I love the color.

Thanks for the responses and compliments everyone. I guess I'm just crazy
wacko.gif
, but hey we all knew that anyway
laugh.gif

Nice horse! She looks like she could be quick on her feet! Quarterhorse? She doesnt look fat at all! If shes fat, my mare must be fat too! lol, she looks good to me!

Katie

Yes she's a QH, Freckles Playboy to be exact. She is very quick on her feet, jump right out from under you if you aren't paying attention.
laugh.gif
I guess I'm just paranoid
biggrin.gif

Well in my opinion, paranoid horse owners make good horse owners. It shows you care
biggrin.gif
Good luck on her training! She looks like she could make a very good rodeo horse!
yes.gif

That does not look like a fat horse to me at all. She looks like a very poor horse with a glossy coat. No neck, poor rump- why do you think she is fat?? Have you thoroughly wormed her?? If so it would be worth doing a pregnancy test to rule it out, as I have known many a new mare owner try desperately to remove the belly right up to the day they fins a foal in the stall- the tragedy is that, in one or two cases, due to the worming, dieting and exercise, the foal has been dead. Better safe than sorry.

Thank you Rabbit, that is pretty much how I felt upon buying her just a couple weeks ago. The old owners didn't like her much so she was just running out with alot of other horses and they weren't feeding them or anything. Just letting them get whatever they could pick themselves. I have wormed her, gave her yearly shots, worked on her feet, etc...... I just thought the belly was possibly an indication of being pregnant as it was a little low in the middle like maybe she was carrying and she wasn't fat in other areas. Here's a picture of another mare of mine that is in hard shape to rope and rodeo. I'd like to see the one first posted about look like this someday, but I don't want to hurt anything if she is in foal so I'll go have her checked just in case.

voodooleft.jpg

I'm not sure if she has Dodgers Playboy in her lines because I haven't done a full background check on her. I should do a check on her one of these days just because I'm curious.

Edited for spelling
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
If you end up getting her checked, let us know what you find out. Im very curious as to what they say! Good luck!

Katie

Spelling Edit again
blink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I think I'm confused on everything today
biggrin.gif
. She is actually sired by Freckles Page Boy, who is very closely related to Freckles Playboy, but not a descendant of
wacko.gif

So any way her lines go something like this for the stallions on her sires side

Freckles Page Boy by

Colonel Freckles by

Jewel's Leo Bars by

Sugar Bars by

Three Bars

Also close in there are Jack McCue 1 and Leo so to say the least she is old foundation bred. If you know the lines of Dodgers Playboy you could see if some of them match up.

I'm pretty sure that Freckles Playboy is sired by Jewel's Leo Bars. Soooooooo if I didn't confuse anyone that's some of her breeding.

If and when I get her checked I'll be sure to let everyone know the answer. I talked to the people I bought her from today and they said she may have been exposed late last summer (to a fancy blue roan
new_shocked.gif
), but I don't think she's big enough to be due soon so I'd say there is just some hay belly and worms in there. I'm still going to try for a vet appointment though just to be sure.

Voodoo said:
Well, I think I'm confused on everything today 
biggrin.gif
.  She is actually sired by Freckles Page Boy, who is very closely related to Freckles Playboy, but not a descendant of 
wacko.gif
.  So any way her lines go something like this for the stallions on her sires side

Freckles Page Boy by

Colonel Freckles by

Jewel's Leo Bars by

Sugar Bars by

Three Bars

Also close in there are Jack McCue 1 and Leo so to say the least she is old foundation bred.  If you know the lines of Dodgers Playboy you could see if some of them match up. 

I'm pretty sure that Freckles Playboy is sired by Jewel's Leo Bars.  Soooooooo if I didn't confuse anyone that's some of her breeding. 

If and when I get her checked I'll be sure to let everyone know the answer.  I talked to the people I bought her from today and they said she may have been exposed late last summer (to a fancy blue roan 
new_shocked.gif
), but I don't think she's big enough to be due soon so I'd say there is just some hay belly and worms in there.  I'm still going to try for a vet appointment though just to be sure.

421914[/snapback]

I guess her pedigree isn't half bad, is it?
biggrin.gif

Ok tell ya Ive been in the mini thing to long the only one I recognized is Three Bars!!!!!!! Im sick I have a sickness. Who is the big Roan guy? I have big Roan quarter horse that goes back to Go Man Go. Old stuff there

Well, the big roan guy is actually a big roan girl
wink.gif
, but she's a mare that I used to team rope and barrel race on. She doesn't have much exciting in her pedigree like this chestnut mare does, but the roan is absolutely phenomenol (sp?) in the arena. This chestnut is better bred (if you like foundation) than anything I have bought in a really long time.

wpsellwood don't worry about not knowing all the breeding. I'm new into minis and about the only mini I really know is Buckeroo. I know there are many great stallions and mares out there, but I don't know them because I'm still in the paint and QH worlds. I'm starting to get the mini sickness too though
wub.gif

I wouldn't say the mare is not bred.

Colonel Freckles & Freckles Playboy are 3/4 brothers, sharing the same sire and grandsire on the dam side. Freckles Page Boy goes back to Bill Cody & Peter McCue waaayy back on the dam side. Photo included of the legendary cutting sire Colonel Freckles

col_freckles.jpg

Dodgers Playboy, as far as I know, is not related to Freckles Playboy in any way.

No hip? No neck? This is a QH not a mini or arab. You want that butt in the ground and a flat croup horse is not going to do it.

Curious though what are your roan mares bloodlines? Where did she come from?

thanks mini count, that clears things up alot for me. The chestnut mare has moves to die for, all she wants to do is put her butt in the ground and work something. Also, thanks for the picture. The roan mare I bought from Bob A Robinson from Wendell, Idaho. She was raised by RJ Marlow, Wendell, Idaho. Her sire is Rusty Roper Sox and her Dam is Shammy Decca. Shammy Decca's sire is Shamrocket of course by Rocket Bar and out of Mary Echols. Also on her papers is Fowler Deck and Jodie Leo Roper. I've never traced her back any further than that, but she has to go back to some good stuff in a few more generations. I actually recently sold her to some really good friends of mine, but I loved her alot. Thanks everyone for the replies and I'll try to get her checked out.

Latest posts

Back