Is she pregnant and how far along would you say?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The angle is a bit different, But If you look at the first pic and this pic it does look like there are some changes to me.
I tried to get the angle straight on but she’s just learning to trust me and actually let me take that picture without haltering and holding her still so i was afraid to take to long as this is new trust, but still progress❤️

Are you able to express any fluid from her udder? What's the base of her tail feeling like?
I got her from a kill pen just a couple months ago she’s starting to be way more trusting for instance I’m able to take these photos just walking up to her now, I can give her scratches and she follows me at feed time so huge improvements, but trying to express fluid I’m thinking shell be less then cooperative I can probably check her tail head for sure.

To me it looks like she might be having some changes, If you compare the first picture you took to this one side by side. I'd wait another week and if there is even more change, compared to the start, I would guess a month or 2. But if she is that close you should be able to see an occasional kick or ripple as the foal is moving around. I would definitely start working with her pretty seriously. If she needs any assistance with foaling you are going to want her to halter, tie, lead, and let you touch her personal parts.

To me it looks like she might be having some changes, If you compare the first picture you took to this one side by side. I'd wait another week and if there is even more change, compared to the start, I would guess a month or 2. But if she is that close you should be able to see an occasional kick or ripple as the foal is moving around. I would definitely start working with her pretty seriously. If she needs any assistance with foaling you are going to want her to halter, tie, lead, and let you touch her personal parts.
Ok and yes I’ve been trying to but very subtle as I’m afraid to push her to fast, that it might make her more fearful of me? The stallion she came with and supposedly is a long time buddy to her is so sweet and friendly so wondering if her guard is up a little because she’s carrying that baby and is more protective being in a new place and going through the stress of being dumped at a kill pen while in foal? If you or anyone here have any advice on the trusting situation please share I’d love any tips or tricks to helping that along. I’ve seen what I believe is baby movement several times and she’s always quite lopsided. She rolled a bit today which I never see her doing. Here’s a short video she is eating but I’m pretty sure that’s still baby movement let me know what you think everything is a guess at this point.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    13.3 MB
Well, what point is she at in her training right now? Can you halter her? Does she tie? Lead? How much can you handle her? In general an auction is not any more traumatic to a horse than a horse show. People tend to think it's traumatic but no one told her that she was in a kill pen. If you don't hurt her or terrorize her you shouldn't make her more fearful. And if there is a problem foaling, her life and the foals life might depend on her being able to be handled. I couldn't watch the video.

Well, what point is she at in her training right now? Can you halter her? Does she tie? Lead? How much can you handle her? In general an auction is not any more traumatic to a horse than a horse show. People tend to think it's traumatic but no one told her that she was in a kill pen. If you don't hurt her or terrorize her you shouldn't make her more fearful. And if there is a problem foaling, her life and the foals life might depend on her being able to be handled. I couldn't watch the video.
This is pretty much how it went and while she’s in foal, at least they think she is so maybe a little traumatic? They separated her from her friend tied her to a post for 3 days cuz they said they couldn’t catch her once she was loose. When we picked her up there was no water present so filled a bucket that was brought in our trailer, drove a 3000 mile round trip to pick up her and the stallion, she drank the entire bucket immediately which made me think did they even give her water? It took 2 days in the trailer to get home. I put them in a barn stall to quarantine from the other horses, they ended up getting respiratory infections 2 days later and were put on 10 days of antibiotics. The stallion got sick again after coming off the antibiotics and was put on another round, so they spent 30 days in a barn stall at my house. I’ve left her halter on for now think it’s best but i can walk up to her give her scratches stand right next to her she’s really calm natured but the minute she senses you’re going to grab her halter she runs away. I can catch her after it’s just annoying and takes a few. Once caught I can lead her anywhere she doesn’t resist.

Last edited:
Well, what point is she at in her training right now? Can you halter her? Does she tie? Lead? How much can you handle her? In general an auction is not any more traumatic to a horse than a horse show. People tend to think it's traumatic but no one told her that she was in a kill pen. If you don't hurt her or terrorize her you shouldn't make her more fearful. And if there is a problem foaling, her life and the foals life might depend on her being able to be handled. I couldn't watch the video
Is there anything I can do so the video is viewable to everyone?

Ah, then yea, she definitely had a worse time at the auction than most. So it sounds like she is fine to handle, just hard to catch? And she showed up at the auction with that issue, so it's not related to the auction. Either way, that's easy enough to fix if you have the time. Take the time, catch, dish out a treat, release and repeat. That shouldn't be stressful or traumatic for her. I don't know a thing about videos, maybe load it to youtube with a link?

Ah, then yea, she definitely had a worse time at the auction than most. So it sounds like she is fine to handle, just hard to catch? And she showed up at the auction with that issue, so it's not related to the auction. Either way, that's easy enough to fix if you have the time. Take the time, catch, dish out a treat, release and repeat. That shouldn't be stressful or traumatic for her. I don't know a thing about videos, maybe load it to youtube with a link?
Since the stallion is so nice and we were told they were long time buddies I was wondering if her hard to catch attitude is maybe her being protective of the baby in these new environments, new humans, some not so good experiences, is it possible or not likely. She does walk up for a treat but she’s really good at sensing “this b***ch is about to grab me”😬I’ll try on YouTube good idea. Her pen is attached to a barn stall so I kinda have to corner her into it to catch her. Once she’s in there i shut the door she’ll then give up and realize it’s over but I’ll try what you said with lots of treats.

Hard to catch is usually just I don't want to get caught. The trick is not to give the treat until she is caught, and to hide it in your pocket instead of using it to lure. And to do it over and over and over until you are absolutely tired of it.

Hard to catch is usually just I don't want to get caught. The trick is not to give the treat until she is caught, and to hide it in your pocket instead of using it to lure. And to do it over and over and over until you are absolutely tired of it.
Ok I’ll try that thank you!!!

These are my favorite, cause I won't hide the rope or my intentions. I'll just put them in with someone who's easy to catch and feed them all the treats and toss a rope over them. Most often jealousy and curiosity will win them over in short order.

NOTHING on our property stays "hard to catch" for long. Usually it's a competition of who gets to be front and centre of the gate first.

Hi everyone here’s pics from today, so much rain so flooded nice break of sunshine today! I haven’t taken a recent udder but I feel like I can see them more from the back when she moves her tail.

Attachments

• F8C4EC53-6839-45C3-AB2D-4CD7EB7F5800.jpeg
    F8C4EC53-6839-45C3-AB2D-4CD7EB7F5800.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 424D4A7E-3ED0-4264-88FD-6802E547C857.jpeg
    424D4A7E-3ED0-4264-88FD-6802E547C857.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Here’s pics from today

Attachments

• DAF8EE97-B911-4005-800D-254AAABD0E05.jpeg
    DAF8EE97-B911-4005-800D-254AAABD0E05.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 8DCD7644-9642-4FD0-BF65-5C171A6CB672.jpeg
    8DCD7644-9642-4FD0-BF65-5C171A6CB672.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 35AF2C26-AFDE-46CE-807C-3FB55F62F0D4.jpeg
    35AF2C26-AFDE-46CE-807C-3FB55F62F0D4.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Oh that belly sure looks like she's carrying a baby! Udders aren't doing much of anything yet, but the looks of it, but her belly is showing something different. She's really lopsided in that last picture. Poor darling.

Latest posts

Back