IS SHE FLIRTING OR WHAT?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby dazzler

Reaction score
Hi. Tilly the filly - lol - arrived yesterday arvo and as per some suggestions/advice received from this forum, I have kept her and Bobby separate - although we did let Bob and Tilly mingle - but with Bobby on a lead rope. And yes, you are right - he did try and do the stallion thing. Anyway, for the next few days, I will continue to keep them separate - although the filly is going troppo in her stable - i.e, kicking the walls, flouncing around etc. I will then re-evaluate the situation.

Bob is now out the front grazing on the good grass and tilly is in his former paddock having a chance to run around - rather than be cooped up in the stable, which will happen again tonight. She is whinnying to him constantly and will not let him be out of her sight. It is so cute to watch.

My question is this though - when she first met Bobby she opened her mouth in a little grin and sort of mouthed at him - does that make sense? She has been doing this all the time when she sees him. Just trying to work out exactly what does this mean? Any interpretations would be good.

And one other question, how long will it be b4 Bobby finally realises that he is a gelding and when he will want to stop trying to jump on her? Bobbie was gelded last Wednesday and yes, I do already see a change in his personality - i.e, he is quieter and not so frisky. But I would prefer to keep them separate until I know that he is going to behave himself - the thought of letting him loose onto a little filly, 2/3 his size is very daunting.

Regards, Kerrie

I was told that "mouthing" action that I think you are talking about is a passive gesture that especially younger horses do, kind of like they are not testing who is in charge.

I've only had one gelding so I don't have any suggestions on when he'll stop acting like a little "man" LOL

Kerrie - the mouthing you describe is normal youngster behaviour - she is showing him she is subordinate - and basically saying - I'm a baby, SEE ? Don't hurt me!!

As far a putting them together goes - he can still be fertile for weeks - I am sorry if I missed an earlier post about him - how old is he?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. Bob is 15 mths. And thanks for the info - I said to my parents that I thought it might have been something that said to him that she was basically telling him that YES, I AGREE, YOU ARE THE BOSS or otherthing along those lines. Bob has settled right down now - i.e, nearly falling asleep in the sun out the front but Tilly is still running around like a mad thing!!! Regards, Kerrie

Did you get the bit about the colt still being FERTILE?????

He can get the filly in foal (YES at her age he can get her in foal!!!) for the next- up to- six WEEKS.

He can split open his wound and and bleed to death for the next two weeks.

You should not even be considering putting them together for two weeks.

Even then I would not risk it.

Honestly, I have said all this, do you think we are just making it all up??

I despair sometimes, I really do.
default_frusty.gif
:

I am sorry for being so blunt but I and others have told you ALL this in another thread.

We were not joking, we were not making up stories.

If you know so much better then, well, go ahead, you do not need our advice.

OK I am grouchy, I have had a really bad night, the pain meds have NOT kicked in and I am bad tempered but where do you not get what you are being told???

Last edited by a moderator:
Those little fillies still have a lot of the mares hormones in their systems from birth. Plus colts even gelded can have sperm in fluids for weeks. Be really careful.

Hi. Jane, I do listen - I am sorry if I ask the same things on several posts - I am a novice. I do take advice - it was basically because of the advice from this forum that I got Bobby gelded. So, please dont patronise me and make out that I am stupid. I am just trying to clarify things BECAUSE the breeder of bth Bobby and Tilly, told me they would be alright together straight away. And I tried to clarify them with this and again they said he should be fine together straight away. But read this - I am not putting them together -and I will keep them apart until Bobbie has been gelded for 6 weeks.

I am keeping them separate - I do not want a pregnant horse - hence why Bobby was gelded. They are completely separate and the only time they got together yesterday was with Bobbie on a lead rope. He did not come into phsycial contact with her so unless it is an immulate conception, the filly is not pregnant. The only contact they are having is thru the fence AND when I take them both for a walk - on their lead ropes with one horse being lead one by adult each so nothing is gonna happen there either.

Regards, Kerrie

It sounds like you are doing good for your babies. Just an FYI, from what I have learned on the forum (and I too am a novice) it is possible for horses to breed through the fence, so please be careful about that
default_smile.png

Good luck and enjoy your horses!

Latest posts

Back