is she a show girl/ winner

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should never pick a stud to breed to, based soley on color. That is just a bonus. YOu need to go by the whole package. I personally would not ever breed her to the second stud. HE is VERY stocky and that could be hard on her.

Hi Desiree, LOL, when you sent me the pic of your new filly the other day, I thought she looked familiar, and I had wondered who bought Joy, but I have not seen any pics of her since she started changing colour, so did not recognize her.

Now here is the kicker, I own your filly's grandsire! Cricket is by our buckskin pinto, FFS Heart Breaker, and his dam was Crescents Prissys Sirena, who was a very beautiful, Araby flea bitten grey appaloosa. Cricket now is taking more after her, but somewhere I have photos of him when he was a foal, and was very dark with a blanket and big spots on his rump!

edited to add:

....and our Meadowind Arabella Bright Sunshine is Joy's half sister - same dam!
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Ashley said:
You should never pick a stud to breed to, based soley on color. That is just a bonus.  YOu need to go by the whole package.  I personally would not ever breed her to the second stud.  HE is VERY stocky and that could be hard on her.
421070[/snapback]

i disagree, i think size matters a lot too, Patch is 31" & Beau is 29-30" & my Joy is gonna be 34"(i think 33") & i think those 4 inches are a big enoph size difference 4 her & i will not worrie.. i may breed her 2 Patch two times before Beau, But she will be bred to beau because my mother likes stalky foals(i don't & that is where Patch come in)

yes.gif
desiree

midnight star stables said:
Ashley said:
You should never pick a stud to breed to, based soley on color. That is just a bonus.  YOu need to go by the whole package.  I personally would not ever breed her to the second stud.  HE is VERY stocky and that could be hard on her.
421070[/snapback]

i disagree, i think size matters a lot too, Patch is 31" & Beau is 29-30" & my Joy is gonna be 34"(i think 33") & i think those 4 inches are a big enoph size difference 4 her & i will not worrie.. i may breed her 2 Patch two times before Beau, But she will be bred to beau because my mother likes stalky foals(i don't & that is where Patch come in)

yes.gif
desiree

421134[/snapback]

The thing with breeding a refined mare to a stocky stallion is, The stockiness of the foal could has problems to your mare during gestation and/or birth. It is more for the safety of the mare.

Beccy said:
Hi Desiree, LOL, when you sent me the pic of your new filly the other day, I thought she looked familiar, and I had wondered who bought Joy, but I have not seen any pics of her since she started changing colour, so did not recognize her. Now here is the kicker, I own your filly's grandsire! Cricket is by our buckskin pinto, FFS Heart Breaker, and his dam was Crescents Prissys Sirena, who was a very beautiful, Araby flea bitten grey appaloosa. Cricket now is taking more after her, but somewhere I have photos of him when he was a foal, and was very dark with a blanket and big spots on his rump!

edited to add:

....and our Meadowind Arabella Bright Sunshine is Joy's half sister - same dam!
smile.gif

421113[/snapback]

Yes it is BKS Early Morning Joy with a new coat! lol
laugh.gif
Sandra is such a nice person! i saw on ur website & saw here blood relatives.. that so neat!.. hey if you have some time could you show me some pics of her grandsire & criket?!

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

he he, i'm not partcial to appys, but i like blacks(pintos
wub.gif
wub.gif
) & as a baby & when i when to see her she was black as we bough her.. 2 weeks later sandy clipped her &... well shes not black!!
no.gif
ohmy.gif
but i still don't get her untill the 31st this month.... i hate waiting!!!

lol

yes.gif

desiree

I agree, you only ever breed for quality, not for colour as there is absolutely no guarantee you will get colour or pattern, it is a total lottery. I bred a minimal white Tobiano to my Black mare and got a solid Sorrel!!! NEVER breed for pattern or colour!!

Sure Desiree. I will have to do some digging to find those pics of Cricket, but will email them to you when I find them. Still have not sent the one you asked for the other day but will reply to your email shortly.

Have fun with your new filly!

rabbitsfizz said:
I agree, you only ever breed for quality, not for colour as there is absolutely no guarantee you will get colour or pattern, it is a total lottery.  I bred a minimal white Tobiano to my Black mare and got a solid Sorrel!!!  NEVER breed for pattern or colour!!
421143[/snapback]

How true, they used to say with big horses, "you can't ride colour", and the same is true of any horse. Colour is an added bonus, but should not be the main goal.

rabbitsfizz said:
I agree, you only ever breed for quality, not for colour as there is absolutely no guarantee you will get colour or pattern, it is a total lottery.  I bred a minimal white Tobiano to my Black mare and got a solid Sorrel!!!  NEVER breed for pattern or colour!!
421143[/snapback]

i agree but there is a higher chance of getting a black/dark foal by combining those two than there is by combining joy with a palomino.. it is luck but common sence is a factor..
wink.gif

desiree

Not so, you could easily, as I have just demonstrated, get a Sorrel. You should only ever breed for quality, colour is a lottery.

rabbitsfizz said:
Not so, you could easily, as I have just demonstrated, get a Sorrel.  You should only ever breed for quality, colour is a lottery.
421174[/snapback]

waite.. what if (not saying) beau was homogeouzs (sp) black &/or paint? then he would only give black(being black homgezous) or piant markings (being a paint{tabano?} homgezous) or both (being black paint homgezous)??
wacko.gif

lol desiree

True, if Beau is homozygous black then he will only throw black. However, you must also remember that when breeding him to Joy, since she is grey, (at least she appears to be grey, and will eventually grey out like her sire) you have a 50% chance of the foals from this cross being grey!

Again, YOu should really reconsider breeding her to the stocky stallion. YOu can get a stocky for from a less stocky stallion, and even from refine parents. I would hate to think of the filly being put through that.

Color isnt everything and means nothing. WE crossed a black mare with 2 different black stallions. BOth times got sorrel and a liver chestnut.

i know joy looks like a very fine baby.. but her parents are both very, very stalky, i think joy will become more stalky still.. just a fine foal... If joy dose not become more stalky as she ages, then i will look for another stud.

beau has been bred 2 many different types & colours of mares,, & 80% where black pintos, so my chances a good if i do breed 2 him..

i am very found of blacks & black pintos... when i start my true breeding herd, i will strive for blacks... as many many farms i know do.. so i'm not the only person who like certan colours over others & want them in my herd.

i'm not rude, i just like pintos & blacks.. they are my pattion
wub.gif

desiree

many farms & stables breed for paints, or appys or palominos... no every one has the same tastes.. every one wants foals for there own reason & standarts...

someone may want a filly & get a colt.. so they sell it.

some people breed for the arab type, & some the more stalky... i am more fond of a morgan type..

still there is so much put on the look of our pets & show animals because we have a choice.

like i said if she does not become more stalky then i would not bred to this guy... there are others!

i lookin 4 the right stud w/ comformation, the right additude, reg & a black/ black pinto colour... thats not a lot

des

Latest posts

Back