Is PayPal Safe?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
If you have an out of area buyer for a horse, is paypal a safe or safer way to get payment? I have heard that after a buyer got the animal they filed a grievance and got money back with out the seller being able to respond.

I have not had a problem with paypal, have sold several horses that way. Maybe just lucky - did not realize the buyer could back out that easily..

I would not touch PayPal with a 10 foot pole. Yes, if someone stops the payment, after they have the animal, one has no recourse with PayPal. They take their money back or hassel you to give it back to them. It takes 3 months to get the problem solved and they do NOTHING to help that along. Even when you give them all the information. All the leg work is up to you and PayPal could care less. You end up loosing.

Had it happen to me. PLEASE DO NOT USE THEM!!!! Things can go well for years, then one thing happens and you will go through what I went through. Google them and see all of the negative responses about them.

I've used paypal for years with no issues.... but none of that was when dealing with a live animal. IMHO I would not use it when sellign or buying a horse
default_smile.png

When I bought my stallion I used paypal for my down payment and first half-with the final half due (cashiers check/money order) a week before he was to be transported. There was a high fee for the seller, unfortunately, so I had to reimburse that fee. If I were to do it all over again I'd skip using paypal. Yes it was easy, convenient, and fast but the high fees that the seller has to pay plus the risks that could potentially come out of it make it not worth it. If you were going to do it, however, you'd need to make sure the funds are a) completely transferred and in your hands first before the horse left; b) you had a legal contract, signed and notarized if possible on conditions of sale, payment, price, etc. I think in the end its too much of a hassle with a live animal. I'll use paypal all day long for Ebay and Etsy though!

Here in Italy I prefer to use a bank transfer for a large amount, Paypal is fine on line for things like ebay, MS etc. but I wouldn't use it for more than $100. JMHO

I have used it to buy all sorts of things, encluding a horse! Never knew the sender could take back their money! Hmm.. Thank you for this post. I will be more cautious when using it from now on.

I have used it for years for ebay with no problems and more recently my horseshoes but would never trust to use it for a large amount of money as a seller

Last edited by a moderator:
I use PayPal quite a bit for online purchases. I'm also a verified member. I've paid for several of my minis through PayPal. I never have had a problem and didn't know you could actually back out after you had a horse. How terrible that must be for the seller. What about just taking a deposit through PayPal and asking for the balance through a cashier's check?

I don't think I've ever used PayPal for the sale or purchase of a horse, but I have used PayPal for 13 or so years (since the beginning) and never had a problem. From what I understand, if the seller can prove shipment of the item (assuming that could include a horse), PayPal will not reverse charges. I ordered some expensive fish (flowerhorn x bp cichlid crosses) a couple years ago and they arrived dead, but since the seller could document he shipped them, I was SOL.

FYI: PayPal now HOLDS YOUR MONEY until the you prove the buyer recieved their goods, plus 3 days. Or 30 days from the sale, whichever is sooner. %$*@# thieves.

If a buyer has an issue with a purchase, the SELLER is guilty until proven innocent, and the money WILL be sent back to the buyer and Paypal comes after the seller.

I would not use paypal for that.. I have used paypal over the years and loved it when buying off of ebay or something like that... But last year (maybe even the year before) I did sell a couple saddles on ebay for a friend and paypal did HOLD the money until shipment was confirmed as received... That was a new thing at the time and frankly I disliked it so much that I haven't used paypal for ANYTHING since. I am a verified status also but I didn't like that I had just mailed a $700 saddle and could not claim the money until the seller said they received it -- had they claimed to not receive it then the money would have been returned to them and I would not had the saddle or the money to show for the sale (well in this case it would have sadly been my friend's money/saddle). I was also told by paypal when I inquired about them holding the money that if the buyer made a dispute of any kind that the money would be returned to them and if I could "provide proof" they had lied or whatever the case was then they would return the money to me but if I could not provide proof to dispute their claim I would just be out the item and the money... I am sure for people that are really doing shady business - selling things and never sending them, etc. that this is very good policy as it is protecting the buyers BUT in the case where the buyer may be the scammer it could be very bad for a seller..

I do know that PayPal can cause a bounce in your account it is attached to. I made that mistake. I was transferring some money from my account to PayPal and I think I was about twenty five cents short (my bad math). It bounced 3x's. I tried to cancel the request after the first bounce and could not cancel it. That $0.25 cost me $140.

Nathan, is this something new on all sales? I've never experienced my money being "held" for any type of "proof" ??
Apparently its an "old" policy they've just started to enforce. Its been in force for a month or so now. Apparently they never enforced it because eBay had issues communicating deliveries to PayPal, and now that that tech issue is "fixed", they started using the policy. I thought it was just new accounts, as my friend was hit with it right as he started selling some old camera parts. A week later, I had the email myself and my account was put on hold. I cancelled it. I won't have PayPal holding my money for a month.

We've used PayPal for deposits on horses only.....never for full balance or pay off. We've also used it for E-Bay without a problem (knock on wood.)

For those of you taking cashiers cks. Make sure you can verify funds of that ck before you release the horse. Never call the number printed on the ck. I am a bank teller. Cashiers, well any ck or money order, can be fraudulent. I've seen legit looking cks come back fraudulent. Things are speeding up but sometimes it can take 7 to 10 days for the checks to clear or come back. Certain banks won't verify funds like Bank Of America for example. Unfortunately, Its a tough world with shady people in it. I'm just thankful I've never been involved in any scams.

On the topic, I did use paypal to sell a horse one time and they did hold my money for a month. I thought it was horrible. The people did already have the horse by the time the hold came off thankfully the lady was wonderful and I didnt end up losing my money.

In Ontario, Canada, cashiers checks, certified, or drafts can take a month to clear. I also was a banker and saw a few scams with drafts and certifed items and cashiers cheques.

I recently had an inquiry regarding horses and they wished to use pay pal. I declined and gave them information so money could be directly wired to my account. I did not hear from the prospective buyer again. Not saying it was a scam but cash or funds wired into my account will be the only mode of payment that is secure i.m.h.o.

Latest posts

Back