Is my mare trying to possibly abort?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendi leigh

Reaction score
My mare is not due until the end of April, but I noticed over the weekend her tail is just as floppy as can be. She has no bag, and the croup is not relaxed. This really worried me so I had the vet out to check her. The foal is alive and kicking, and since the croup has not relaxed, the vet didn't think the mare was trying to abort... but I'd sure appreciate your all's opinion anyway. Forgot to mention, the mare is 18 years old and last foaled in 2005.

Thanks from the overly paranoid horse mom,

Don't panic.......I would suspect that because of her age her muscles are relaxing faster than a younger mare.

You may also see her "drop" her belly faster because of this.

MA

Have to agree - if everything else appears to be normal, I would not be concerned. I have an older mare whose tail is permanently relaxed, it's just not a reliable sign for her because it doesn't change much. Her belly is also permanently "sprung". If your mare were trying to abort at this stage, you would most likely be seeing signs of discomfort.

Jan

Thanks so much for agreeing with the vet and helping to put my mind at ease.
default_unsure.png
: I'll be worrying about every little thing during these last few months, and especially with this mare since she's my oldest and my sweetest lady.

Latest posts

Back